Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Charlton

Comments

• I generally think Charlton fans are a very decent bunch. They weren't having anything to do with the JJ show though! The chants were a bit unnecessary.

They were fuming at the ref, but I'm not sure there were as hard done by as they seemed to think. Yes JJ should clearly have been booked, but other than that I'm not sure any of their claims had much merit. Forino and Longwijk were just too strong for their forwards. Our penalty was clear cut and their big appeal was more a crowd appeal, didn't think there was anything in it and I don't think their players did either.

• Hadn't realised that.

Thought it that he quickly realised he didn't know exactly where they were so ended up awkwardly sounding like he was slating them instead.

Am sure they can handle a gentle dig.

• Didn’t see Joe Low there at all today. Was he around?

• Yes I saw him pre-game.

• https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/24283168.matt-bloomfields-thoughts-wycombes-win-charlton

glad to see we’re back to the classic gritted teeth, “they’re good at what they do” comments.

• Loved Taff’s block towards the end being greeted like he’s scored by his teammates. It was definitely going towards the goal. Great spirit.

• It’s going to take a long time to shrug off our reputation, which was well deserved. It’s really good to see us playing a different style of football where there are less of the dark arts so heavily advocated by GA. I wonder what Bloomfield thinks changing a style he was so wedded to under Ainsworth.

• Look at who it's from, the Reverend Jones wasn't ever going to say anything else.

• Very impressed with Freddie Potts coming on the pitch at half time, I am sure it was his decision to do so. He spoke eloquently about how beneficial it was for him to come to Wycombe to improve his football knowledge and skills in a competitive environment. A very impressive young man with the ability in time I am sure to slot into Premier League football. Compared to some other loanees we have had from Premier League clubs his performances have been top class once he found his feet at our level. I for one will be watching his career with interest. Thank you Freddie.

• 15 weeks until it all starts again.

The years are too short, the days are too long

• Ah well another season, this one really had it’s ups and downs and I actually questioned blooms staying thankfully he proved me wrong.

I will miss JJ what he lacked in pace he more than made up in game intelligence and boy could he put the ball on a postage stamp from thirty yards out easily he has made my top ten all time players.

We are in for an interesting closed season, not just on the pitch.

oh did anyone see that the toilets are in the process of being upgraded big things are coming.

• These kind of comments only work in our favour and show a level of ignorance associated with the rev and his ilk. Always deflecting the blame and saying thing similar to 'we know what to expect but I am still not a good enough coach* to stop it' hardly reflects well on them

*I obviously respect that as he has shown he is statistically the best coach in European football.

• "The toilets are being upgraded, big things are coming"

Wonderful turn of phrase.

• I do wish we would learn to take throw ins just a tad quicker though.

• Before that IIRC it was the same on the 1971 Esso (?) Football badge collection my dad helped me collect as a 6 year old back them.

• Oh and that Taff block was brilliant.

• This is interesting because I was commenting to my mate today that I think that, the more the season has gone on, the closer we are to Ainsworth's style. What do you think are the differences?

• I think the longer the season has gone on, the further and further we have left Ainsworths’s tactics behind. To me we are playing back to front and through the midfield rather than the long punts over the midfield in the Ainsworth era. Under Ainsworth we would have been using every trick in the book today to preserve that one nil lead, to disrupt the play, to time waste and blatant cheating with fake injuries, particularly head injuries. Ravazolli would have gone down on 89 minutes today feigning some kind of injury. I respect Ainsworth for what he achieved with of course very limited resources, but I’m not sorry to see the back of his style of football. Bloomfield football is much easier on the eye.

• I bet if you asked Charlton fans they might not agree with you.

We had at least 2 head injury delays today and a couple of other times a player went down to mass Charlton booing.

And I'm pretty sure Max has had a few shenanighans with time wasting and that madness that cost us a point late on in whatever northern heckhole that was. Maybe Rav isn't "experienced" enough to know the delaying tactics yet, rather than Bloomfield instructing against it?

• I think they were just generally annoyed. They won just 11 games in a pretty average League One renewal and bar a late summoning of strength they were very insipid today. No surprise that they were ironically cheering shots at goal. Clubs the size of Charlton don’t enjoy slumming it for too long.

That said, the JJ stuff and the ‘let him die’ chant when Grimmer was receiving treatment for the head injury were a pretty classless and misguided channelling of their anger.

• They weren't great today, so yes I can understand their frustration. Thought they looked very decent when we played them in September. In fairness, that was a better match all round than today's!

• Marcus Bean vs Preston in the cup shows we’ve come a long way with our throw ins ;)

• I’d persuaded a load of friends along for that game. Their reasonable questioning of Gaz’s decision to have Beany take any is one I have still never been able to answer.

• What favourable decisions? The pen was a stonewall one but only caught the 2nd half, thought JJ should of been booked for a pullback but can't think of others.

Was going to ask how he done, but seen a few comments the ref was basically a homer.

It was only his 2nd game today.

• There were a couple of decisions the ref made today that I have seen given the other way in the past. First half. There was a push by Nigel on there striker who I think was just in the box (there player heading away from goal) that I have seen given as a pen in the past. Would have been harsh but could have gone against us.

And in the second half I’m sure it was JJ that brought down there player just inside the box by the byline.

Again, I’ve seen those given.

• That push by Nigel in the 1st half could've been given, certainly quite risky. The JJ one in the 2nd half, no way! Was really just a crowd appeal, don't think any of the Charlton players appealed for it.

The foul by JJ definitely should've been a yellow, but likewise one of their players got away with a blatant trip on Sadlier in the 1st half when he was breaking clear. Overall I thought the ref had a decent enough game for a rookie.

• I think today's game could have been an Ainsworth side. We're setting traps for the opposition and picking their pocket when the moment comes to dial up the press. Winning more than our share of 50/50 balls. Solid on set pieces at either end. Great discipline and team spirit. It's all from the Gaz & Dobbo playbook.

Style of play with the ball is perhaps slightly less direct but that's only one part of the game.

Personally I'm delighted. This is just what I'd hoped for when MB took the job.

Very optimistic about next season. The improvement has been absolutely astounding and it feels like we have a solid group of players that really want to build something.

I can't recall a season before where the contrast between the first and second half of the season has been so dramatic. Maybe under Gorman? Although of course the circumstances in that season had a big impact.

• Thanks for everything, JJ! It was nice to have the thrill of two final corners, even if they weren't solid gold JJ vintage.

What a brilliant second chapter of the season! We went from a team who went off the boil in second halves and conceded late, to a Wembley appearance and a change of character so radical that it was like the good old days defensively ("give us a lead and we will hold it"), with plenty of late goals in our own right.

6th best ever finish by a Wycombe side, only bested by MON and GA. Quite some company!

Who knows what happens in a stronger L1 next year, but I am enjoying Bloomsball again, and not just because of the wins. We have leadership, tenacity, unity, and some really pleasing passages of play. Take a bow, Blooms and team!

• from where I was sat in the family stand near the Charlton end, it looks like an attempt at the ball was made but just took the player out. Think a goal kick was given as there was no contact on the ball, but players were defo on the floor.

Anyone know what happened between Forino and their forward? I just suddenly notice CJF berating the guy on the floor, the Charlton fans demanding he’s sent off, and then in the next play, the Charlton player take Chris out and is booked?

Cautiously optimistic about next season. The Jan transfer window certainly went well and we need another one over the summer.

With the number of players out of contract it’s going to be another transitional season in my eyes - just hope we’re not as average/poor in the first half of the season as we were this last season