Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Charlton

Comments

• Never been so disappointed to see us get and score a penalty.

• Best bet is on at half time.

More realistic 60-70

• edited April 27

The way Charlton are flying in it might not be the only one.

• I can't wait to sign a goalkeeper who can actually kick

• Welcome Henning Wehn !!

• Guessing JJ will replace Leahy probably 5 mins after the restart.

• Nigel would be a cheat code next season if we could somehow sign him

• Charlton aren’t quite nasty enough to be a Nathan Jones team, but they’re on the way.

• That was almost Brazil ‘70

• Great camera work from iFollow panning to the away end as JJ comes on.

• Let him take the corner ffs

• Charlton have got the top goal scorer in L1, a great GK and two good CBs, how are they so low in the table?

• What did Henning say?!

• The ref has been very favourable for us today

• A right old scrap! But tenth guaranteed.

• Top ten. Never in doubt.

• Well done Matt and the team. Wembley trip and a top 10 finish. Loads of positives to take into the new season.

Watching the lap of appreciation on the tele and just hope we can keep the majority of the players.

And thanks for everything JJ top player on the pitch and a great ambassador off the pitch.

• We played some really good stuff in spells today & were very solid at the back even with the changes in the second half.

After the disasterous start to the season we have witnessed a great turnround and provided we can keep hold of Forino, Low, Kone & Grimmer and bring in a good LB & better keeper (plus a few decent loanees) I have every confidence we can push for the play-offs next season. Well done to MB & his staff for what they have achieved.

• Bloomfield now has a 40% winning record as a manager, which seems quite respectable.

• An understandably low key game at times, but certainly not without bite and niggles. I thought our interplay moving forward and our mopping up and tough tackling at the back was very solid. Scowen was everywhere, Kone had them running scared and was chasing everything down (first half at least), Nige was Nige…

Oh, and JJ got 30+ mins. I’m sure he was delighted his final assignment was to deal with a very tricky customer! He did well and the lads helped him out. Leahy jumping on Taf following his last min block epitomises the spirit of the end of the season and the desire to build something great. Soon time to tune out for a few weeks.

P.s - FWIW I thought the ref did give us a couple of favourable decisions…

• edited April 27

So, we finish the season 5th in the last 10 form table, or 2nd in the last 6 matches: League One Form Table (thefishy.co.uk)

Rob made a short speech in the Heineken Lounge at about 11:20, in which he said that as the owner, he is only a temporary custodian of the Club, which has a rich history before him, and will have a great future to come. He indicated that he hopes to keep most of the squad over the summer, and to strengthen it so that we are competing at the top of the league next season.

Make of that what you will. Anyway, I shook hands with him, and thanked him for all that he has done.

• Kone is gonna be some player. Each game he shows improvements to certain aspects of his game. Quick feet for the penalty but his positional play has improved massively. And he just wants to score. I’ve said about Taylor before that he’s not been selfish enough when playing the lone striker, Kone just sees the goal and wants to go for it.

• One of the brilliant things about Kone is that he does have a striker’s drive to score, but also makes good decisions about when to bring other players in. He’s a very exciting prospect.

• edited April 27

Enjoyed that, we have some really talented players in the squad at the moment.

Lots of special JJ moments. Hope he loved every minute. He’s achieved so much for us and I’m really going to miss him.

Nice to see my first win of the season too. Was that the coldest final game of the season ever?

• Have we signed anyone yet?

• Can't wait for this weeks edition of "Ringing the Blues". The sour grapes from the Charlton fans will be in overload! TBF, Mat Cecil didn't exactly endear himself to them, with his comments of 'Wycombe finished tenth whilst Charlton were somewhere way further down". 🤣

• Deserved. Matt Cecil had made a plea for decorum when introducing JJ for the lap of honour, only for the departing Addicks, to belt out “who the effing hell are you?” Cecil had the last word!

• You know when the match finishes on iFollow and you get to see them editing the highlights? I sat and watched the penalty repeatedly this afternoon while they did that, everything about Kone in the build up to the pen is magnificent - works himself into space so well that the defender has no choice but to launch himself at the ball.

And as a side note, as shit as the iFollow directors are, today they deserve some credit for keeping the stream alive after the final whistle with the camera operator showing the players’ kids kicking beach balls around. It was joyful.