Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Cambridge

124»

Comments

• Brilliant entertainment from both sides.

• 10 points from 4 consecutive away games is a superb return. Huge credit to Matt and the boys. A great end to the season.

• So much for that, then

• Anybody fancy a game of Sexy Mastermind?

• Yeah, I’ve always liked Cambridge - fans were superb this evening.

• 10 points from 12. Absurd amounts of miles travelled. Scowen, Grimmer and Kone on the books. Bloomfield deserves a hell of a lot of credit for an outstanding turnaround. Roll on next season.

• Really good game that. Agree with an earlier comment that despite only getting a draw, that might be our best performance of the 4 away games. I felt we ran out of steam a little in the final 20mins after the subs. McCarthy and McCleary were linking up beautifully on the right, but we completely lost that threat after McCleary went off. Vokes also had his best game in a long while and although Kone presented a different threat, we weren't able to hold the ball up quite as effectively after he went off. Good of L Taylor to gift us that penalty though!

Thoroughly deserved at least a point, thought we were the better side by quite a distance for the majority of the game.

• I enjoyed that game tonight and thought even at 1-0 down we were good enough to come back and even maybe win the game. Pre- January we would have folded when they scored.

Like a few have said, I hope Cambridge stay up.

Scowen was superb tonight and Lonwijk was excellent yet again.

• edited April 23

We are now 10th, and with Northampton's goal difference, can come no lower than 13th, realistically. That would be our 9th best ever finish by position, and 7th best points total.

For Saturday, a win would guarantee us 10th and our 6th best ever finish. A draw would guarantee at least 12th and our 7th best ever finish.

1. Championship 20/21: 22nd (42nd) 43 points - Ainsworth
    2. League One 19/20: 3rd (47th) *59 points - Ainsworth
    3. League One 22/23: 6th (50th) 83 points - Ainsworth
    4. League One 94/95: 6th (52nd) 78 points - O'Neill
    5. League One 22/23: 9th (53rd) 69 points - Ainsworth/Bloomfield
    6. League One 01/02: 11th (55th) 64 points - Sanchez
    7. League One 99/00: 12th (56th) 61 points - Sanchez
    8. League One 95/96: 12th (56th) 60 points - Smith
    9. League One 23/24: 13th (57th) 62 points - Bloomfield
    10. League One 00/01: 13th (57th) 59 points - Sanchez
    11. League One 97/98: 14th (58th) 60 points - Gregory
    12. League One 18/19: 17th (61st) 53 points - Ainsworth
    13. League One 96/97: 18th (62nd) 55 points - Gregory
    14. League one 02/03: 18th (62nd) 52 points - Sanchez
    15. League One 98/99: 19th (63rd): 51 points - Smillie

• edited April 23

For the 2nd time in 5 seasons, our top goal scorer will be a left back. They both took/take the pens, I know, but both JJ and Leahy scored plenty away from the spot too.

• Sorry, @Shev. Didn’t even look to see who was commenting. I’m guessing you’re about six hours behind us so ‘today’ makes perfect sense.

• Cheers - I'm just having a laugh anyway. Everyone knows Greenwich is the best time zone!

• I do think Posh may be due some bad karma for putting out THAT weak of a side to affect the relegation race. Mind you, it would be hard to beat blowing a 4-0 lead like they did last season!

• You’d hope Bolton can get over the line to win the playoffs.

If Barnsley continue their downward spiral into the final day, it’d be great to see Lincoln seal 5th and then deny PUFC a spot in the final.

Although the PNLs could also yet ruin the party.

• edited April 24

Overall, a great second half to the season for us. Good January window (Longwijk, Lubala, Kone, Butcher) in contrast to a poor summer window (Boyes, Breckin, Phillips, L. Taylor etc).

To be fair to MB, he managed to gut the non-contributors and some astute signings and backing from the board have got us a solid top half finish.

My only caveat is that this good run has come after our season was realistically over with a mid table finish secured. Much easier to perform without pressure, and we have had a kind run of fixtures.

If we can add a new number 1 and a new number 9 that compliments what we have, things are looking up. Obviously a natural first choice left back also needed in the summer. Bloomfield has earned a shot at next season, I say that as someone who thought we should change managers after the 1 win in 17 run and Fleetwood at home debacle. He got plenty of criticism (fairly) when we were struggling so only fair praise is dished out for the last 3 months.

• I think there has been plenty of pressure until just a few weeks ago, we have only just recently pulled away from the relegation battle.

• Have you all watched back the Sam Vokes penalty claim?

It was basically a judo throw to the ground!!

• Yeah definitely a penalty that one. We never seem to get those

• I was at the game and thought that at the time. He was also man handled every time the ball was played up to him but referees seem to turn a blind eye to that these days.

• Vokes had a good game last night, I was willing him to get a goal and I think he'd have got it without being hauled to the ground. He still managed to set up Scowen for a chance!

If Saturday is to be his final Wycombe appearance, I'd love to see him get a goal. I think the effort he's put in to his recent performances suggests that he'd be happy to sign up for next season if offered.

• I think big Sam will get another year.

• He's too big for penalties as per Darren Dysdale I believe.

• The effort he's put in to his recent performances could also just be for any scouts or other managers watching. He was excellent again last night, but I do wonder where that effort was for the first 30 games of the season.