Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Agree totally on Scowen.

It's like Bloomfield is trying to use him in the "defensive most advanced midfielder" position that he himself made his own.

• In the programme, Potts said he gave up on being a winger as he realised he'd never be good enough.

That felt like an odd comment, as while they are different skill sets, I'd not have said that wingers are all better than centre mids?!

• Matt Bloomfield is a class act. My admiration for him, as a human being, has grown from the moment he signed for us. I hope he stays with us for a very long time.

• Agree doc, they never had a an outlet first half, we were pressing and cutting out their crosses to their wide men, so the danger of Luke being done for pace was nullified to a large extent. Then, as you say, from about 60 minutes they were strolling about with no-one challenging. Boro have some good players but on that showing I still suspect we will be playing them next year.

• I think the Scowen issue largely solves itself next season once Freddie goes back, as he just slots back into his old role in front of the back four.

Personally I like the 4-3-3 shape (or 4-1-4-1 if that’s what you prefer to call it), but we’ll need someone in the right hand midfield role, someone who can get up and down and provide some goal threat would be nice.

• edited April 8

Having come so close to winning the tournament this season, do you think that it will raise interest in next seasons earlier rounds, and indeed will Blooms pick his strongest teams with the aim of having a real go at winning trophy from the start?

I also think the number of key players missing due to being cup tied maybe put us at a disadvantage yesterday ( I’ve no idea if Posh were also missing key players though) .

• I think that next season, the Couhigs’ expectations will be another promotion push, I believe their goal is still to get us to where we are an “established Championship club”, however realistic or otherwise that may be.

So I’d say the league will go back to being very much the priority, as it was for GA.

• To make any kind of push you need goals and luck. When we made it to the Championship we had Bayo and JJ chipping in with more than 20 goals between them. This season we have got to add 4 players together to get 20 goals. That will have to change but I think Kone could be that elusive 10-15 goal striker we crave. Then Vokes/Hanlan/Butcher/Leahey need to get 5 plus each to make platform.

• I'm confused. Does getting to the final not count as having a real go?

• You know what he meant. You don't have to be cleverer than everybody all the time.

• "a quicker winger with balls over the top" is my favourite dangling participle of the day.

• Probably only Lubala who gets near key player status isn't it? Campbell and Kodua are more bench options?

McCleary clearly wasn't fully fit which was probably more an impact on our attack than the latter two missing?

• Presumably he means "good enough as a winger" - it's a role that demands a very specific set of skills to be one of the best, and I'd agree with him that he probably hasn't got those.

• Could only be that he's meaning, as he's got a fair bit of class where he's playing now, and looks a certainty to be a top tier performer all going well.

• Now you've highlighted that Quote, I'll never be able to take it back, will I @drcongo ?

• The thing that encourages me the most about Blooms is that he seems to be a man determined to own and learn from his mistakes. I think we’ll be challenging for the play offs this time next year.

• Genuinely did not understand the point being made about this competition. Only improvement I can see is winning it...not sure 'having a good go' playing strong teams earlier in an unpopular Cup next season could ensure that.

An @eric_plant sneer is, however, always welcome.

• "will Blooms pick his strongest teams".....he literally said it

It was blindingly obvious what he meant

• I think it's been a really useful competition for us this season. The likes of Pattenden and Sadlier got vital minutes and found form in the early rounds which saw them get into the first XI and the money we earnt probably helped us with the signings of Butcher and Lubala. With a strong squad and competition for places I'd like to think we'll make a decent go of it next season also.

Incidentally, do we know what what was wrong with the disallowed goal yesterday? Not complaining, but I couldn't really see the reason for the whistle. Keeper seemed to drop the ball, there was a bit of a scramble and someone stuck it in the net. I assume it was for something in the scramble that followed the drop, as I didn't see any foul on the keeper?

• Pretty sure it was for a foul on the 'keeper. Classic overprotection.

• I was very proud of the team & very proud to be a Wycombe fan yesterday. For a team that started the season with a large budget cut we went head-to-head with a very good (& expensive) side in the Posh.

I thought Forino was immense yesterday & worked very well with Longwijk. We had the chances to take the lead but more work needs to be done on finishing.

The turnout and enthusiasm of the supporters was brilliant & the Spanish lot brought fun & colour to the occasion. Although we lost we are taking small steps to rebuilding the club. The task off the pitch is now probably greater than Matt Bloomfield’s on it.

• Yeah, I need to watch that again. I didn't see anything myself

(I wouldn't have described it as a disallowed goal mind, the whistle went long before the shot came in)

• Watched several times. No foul. I was furious at the time and remain annoyed.

• I assume yesterday's result plus the league/FA Cup semis have cemented our place as the second most succesful cup team who haven't actually won anything.

Crystal Palace have (I think) made first place their own with two FA Cup finals and four League Cup semis.

• Holland's world cup record would be up there

• Yeah, there was a pretty early whistle by the ref at the point the keeper tried to get through all the players.

Any scramble and the finish was moot by that point as the whistle had gone several seconds earlier.

• Too right @PBo . I bumped into Rob C pre match, he told me he was “happier today” (Sunday) “than yesterday” (Saturday). I asked him why he wasn’t happy yesterday? “After yesterday’s league results we can no longer (mathematically) get promoted”. ! Wish I had just a slice of his optimism.

• I did not think it was a foul, until the last shot where Forino had his arm across the keeper's neck region.

• I can’t believe what I’ve just seen. On X under League One News footage of Peterborough fans fighting amongst themselves ….. as their winner goes in!