Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Good performance today, gutting to lose to a freak goal in the 94th minute. Overall though, it was such a tight game, it was always going to take something like that to settle it, just a shame it went the wrong way as far as we're concerned.

Bewildered by some of the Kone comments, I thought he had a really good game. Wasn't involved a huge amount, as you'd expect in a game where we didn't have much possession, but his hold up play was excellent and he posed a threat throughout.

On some ways today was more painful than Sunderland. We just never turned up that day, whilst today I thought we played well. I took a strange solace in seeing young fans in tears at the final whistle. There was no such reaction after Sunderland, but today I felt the youngsters and day trippers were much more engaged with the team and probably much more likely to want to watch us again.

• My little boy cried. But I think that’s cos he thought that’s what he was supposed to do cos we lost rather than being actually upset.

He was mostly too busy asking if anyone have ever kicked the ball out through the roof of Wembley when the game was actually on. 🤦‍♂️

• Side note, Kone was excellent today.

• edited April 7

If we could re-train our Centre Backs to play as full back, we would have been laughing today. However, Forino was amazing today. Read the play well, countless of blocks and tackles to get us out of trouble and composed on the ball. Lonwijk supported him really well too. If there were scouts out there, Forino's agent / his phone might be quite busy tonight.

I felt like Sadlier was wasteful today, should have hit the target when gifted a chance & there seemed like there was no relationship between him & Leahy when they play on the same side. However having most of our wingers cup tied didn't help us today. Konè played well but stayed on for too long imo, you could tell he was getting tired after 10/15 mins of the 2nd half and needed subbing

As mentioned earlier, we need to freshen up our full-backs. JJ is (prob) retiring and has only played a handful of match, McCarthy hasn't played enough for a new deal and Leahy NEEDS to be in midfield with Butcher & Scowen.

• edited April 7

Not long back home thanks to the dreaded "rail replacement bus".

I quite like Wembley other than the truly monstrous prices for everything not just in the stadium but across the estate.

Whichever idiot thought those bloddy bits of green & white card were a good idea needs shooting, I ended up having to put my ear plugs in to block the noise out as it was driving me mad.

To the guys immediately behind me since when has a football match been a good thing to bring your girlfriend who has zero interest in the game & spent 90+ minutes talking absoute shite & laughing at the oddest of moments.

I thought it was great to see so many parents bring thier younger kids, hopefully the next generation of fans in the making, certainly the ones around me were pretty well behaved and seemed to enjoy it despite the result.

To the fellow gasroomer who chatted to me on the train back to Marylebone, apologies I am having a senior moment & have completely forgotten your name, perhaps drop me a dm?

Anyway as for the football, felt we played well overall, they were fractionally better than us & a lot luckier. MoM was definitely Chris Forino for me, oh & Kone had a decent game - yes he is a little raw still but...

• Also, what is it with Wembley & our keepers?! First Stockdale, now Rav, its a curse!

However the 2nd goal wasn't a shot & any keeper would have been caught out by it.

• I would hope so Shev. It’s at this time of the season that some players switch off, especially after a disappointment like today and with little or nothing to play for other than maybe a new contract or transfer for next season. I don’t think it’ll take much for Wycombe to be challenging next year so let’s hope Bloomfield has a few acquisitions for you before then. So good luck for Wednesday and the rest of your final games to at least finish the season on a high. 😁

• Cheers! If you do end up in the playoffs I'll be in your corner to win them. Brilliant club!

• Let's not forget Oxford's equalizer from a freak cross from the same side of the pitch towards the same goal!

• He was and he held the ball up superbly. Best he has played in a Wycombe shirt so far. He should be very proud of himself.

• I’m sure you would have said the same if it had been Stryjek in goal.

Tight game, Peterborough deserved to win, but Taylor’s goal deserved to be the equaliser.

Great penalty save from the Tranmere keeper.

Sunderland game felt much worse!

• Yes, I agree. There were several times when you thought Kone was going to get away from defenders, but the explosive pace just wasn’t there. Other than that, he played the CF role pretty well. Once we reach the final third we just seem to completely run out of ideas. Work to do to challenge next season.

• edited April 7

Most of the 23/24 Wycombe bingo was in there:

Solid defensively? Check.

Struggle to manufacture a goal? Check.

Concede galling injury time goal? Check.

I was way more disappointed about Sunderland - winning that would have transformed our club.

• Phew! Glad it wasn't just me who though Kone played well. Thought he looked very promising considering he's still only a few months into his professional career and was up against 2 high calibre centre backs.

• Actually, nearly everyone on the gasroom seems to have reached that conclusion looking at the number of thumbs up in response to people who said he played well.

i think there was just one or two early comments in the the thread that have take us down that particular blind alley.

For a guy whose started about 5 professional matches, it was a terrific performance that offers much for the future.

• Not too much to moan about, disappointing as it was we know nobody gave a toss about this tournament until the semis.

Forino was brilliant and Nigel not far behind, wonder if Blooms considered three at the back and thought better of it as it nearly got him sacked, Nigel a step up on Keogh although I'm not really recommending it.

Rav was really good apart from for both goals :( , have to feel sorry for him, he's come along way already.

The Wheeler substitution was a bit mind boggling tbh and backfired. In the end our squad just wasn't as strong as theirs and a bad decision or bit of bad luck can get you if you aren't dominating. A few bits weren't ideal today maybe, and haven't been throughout the season but I struggle a bit to understand people going apoplectic after every game. We lost, the season will fade away and we will see what the next one brings.

Thought Wembley was alright today btw, no real trouble getting in or out or getting a beer or using the facilities, bit overpriced still but don't think it was as silly as it has been and probably below that of a lot of similar venues.

• Just to add - it was good to see again a collection of so many fans representing our wonderful club, let's hope some stick around who wouldn't have otherwise and that some day in the future we'll all see a flaming win there.

• Certainly bodes well for next season. I thought he led the line excellently against two top quality centre halves.

• Koné’s involvement beyond the first 40 minutes was inevitably limited because of the pressure Peterborough put on us approaching half time and, to be fair, for the majority of the second half. I was disappointed that he didn’t stay (or wasn’t allowed to stay) well forward as an outlet when we were under siege. Did he get involved in helping the defence very much? Must admit I didn’t notice.

But, early in the game, he looked quite a handful and I was more impressed with him than I was with Al-Hamadi before his departure in February (?) last year. And he’s not done badly.

• A little disappointed in the result but not the effort is how best I can sum up my feelings. Oh and why doesn’t the new Wembley like me personally.

I know it’s not the end of the season but if we get over the line unscathed there’s going to be a lot for MB to work on over the summer , how do we compete and beat strong footballing sides like Posh and Pompey to take two whilst also dealing with physical sides like Stevenage.

• I've just realised the season is over. What am I going to do now?

Go back to bed, I suppose, and take it from there.

• My apologies for being so doom and gloom last night.

I'd had a few drinks and was just a bit pissed off that we lost at Wembley again.

I think we've certainly come a long way from mid season, and I'm pretty positive with a few additions in the summer we'll be in a good place. Onwards and upwards !

• Was very strange to see a run of the mill League 1 game at Wembley, with fans not massively fussed about the trophy.

• Does anyone actually know if the ball has been kicked out the stadium? It's a good question.

Just before Kone went off he controlled the ball in a difficult area in the gap between midfield and attack and laid off which resulted in a half chance in the box. I do think he will be key if we are to have a good season next time. It would have been helpful to have had Baz to bring on as I expect Kone was tiring. Bloomfield makes decisions with a longer term view than just the match in hand though- he must have data on the players fitness etc and also how to keep the squad as happy as possible.

• The amount of Posh fans I saw leaving before the trophy was lifted was surprising to me.

We’d left to get my disabled dad to the car and away before any major traffic, but the number of celebrating Posh fans who didn’t care about seeing there side lift the trophy surprised me.

• edited April 8

It certainly is a question. One of many I fielded through 90 mins.

If you ask me next if you can hold up and throw your shoe, I’m going to have to seriously consider my sons internet access abilities.

As a supporter of 30 years, anyone know why the section near me sang “take a shoe off, if you love Wycombe”?

Some seemed to be showing their shoes towards someone at one point which worried me as that’s seen as a massive insult to people in certain parts of the world.

Then I thought the people that started doing it probably don’t have that level of cultural awareness as so probs just doing it for the Lols/banter. Which is probably just as bad.

• Can only hope it was a Life of Brian reference but probably unlikely.