Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• edited April 7

Exactly. I felt they shouldve come on earlier. What's the point, in the last 10 mins of a final, to wait to concede to make attacking subs?

• 3-1 at the old Wembley, 1-3 at the new - and none in front of fans, sadly!

• What did the Guardian think of Kone?

He was outstanding in the first half, winning headers, holding the ball up well and showing good vision when allowed to pick a pass.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/07/peterborough-wycombe-efl-trophy-final-match-report

Blimey

• Can you not deal with the more space efficient troughs?

And well done to the stewards who quickly stopped that little bunch of bozos thinking they could stand blocking numerous kids behind them, not in the designated standing block.

• No urinals? Are you sure you weren't in the ladies'?

• There's a literally a whole safe standing section now too

• I'm wondering if he's making a distinction between troughs or urinals.

Or encountered the occasional one that only has individual sit downers.

• Tbf troughs are absolutely grim

• Yep can't really moan now.

The stewards did really well gently moving up the block next to it easing people down.

You have got to be a selfish wretch standing when you know someone behind can see Jack all though.

• I've been to Wembley 3 times and never seen a urinal! Learn something new every day.

• They repurpose some ladies to gents for footy it seems

• edited April 7

Was surprised with the Centre back partnership but it worked really well.

subs were late and wheeler for Kone was odd - a midfielder for a striker…GMac is not a number 9, not enough pace or strength for that role.

left it late to bring on Vokes and Taylor… both would have started for me.

Potts was really quiet.

How great to see Wycombe at Wembley again, and go toe to toe. Some clubs get there once in a blue moon.

• On another note, how far has Vokes slipped down the pecking order, where the very green Kone starts above him, and we actually bizarrely choose to spend 10mins with McCleary there in favour of him.

He's either been nursing something for ages, but has declared himself fit for the team, or more likely on his way to being released.

Wonder what the thinking was with centre backs too. Taf and Low have been the mainstay, Forino has barely been fit for months, then straight in today? A carrot for signing a new deal? Similarly, is Longwijk being earmarked for next season?

• edited April 7

Just seen the winner on telly and the wind has done Rav there I think. Just a freakish goal.

• We needed quick centre backs today, it worked really well.

• Commiserations, Must have been gutting to concede just after you scored. Good luck for the rest of the season, what there is left of it.

• Inevitably disappointing but we did well in the first half and defended pretty heroically at times during the early 2nd half onslaught.

For me, the Kone gamble didn’t pay off at all and Potts struggled to get going.

Poor old Rav had played well (not exceptionally as the stuck record remarked earlier) but that was a horrible error for their winner. It’s brutal being a keeper.

No complaints about Nigel and Chris’ selection - they were both excellent today.

One thing I’ll take away is how much better the atmosphere was in our end compared with the Sunderland game. And at least we got to have a short lived celebration.

• I think we are cursed at Wembley now we didnt turn up against Sunderland and then lose to a fluke this time. This season has been a absolute disaster

• edited April 7

Sorry? I do realise that everyone sees things differently but first half Kone was excellent caused them all sorts of problems and there was one sublime pass to McCleary (I think) that completely split their defence.

Their is a lot of hype but he does read the game really well

• (And apologies @HolmerBlue if you saw my unedited comment before I saw your comment about Forino having a good game)

• You’d hope Lonwijk is signing on for us if we’re starting him over Low and Tafazolli today. I love lonwijk. I think he was excellent. It was a brave decision and I hope he stays with us.

• edited April 7

Genuinely surprised at the Kone gamble didn’t pay off comments. Other than the two at the back I felt he was the only one that was better than average on the pitch.

Triggered the press when out of possession when he needed to (when there no.5 started his run forward) resulting in a couple of interceptions and errors by them.

Battled well when the ball came to him with defenders in his back. Won, or contested, more ball than he had any right to do so and carved himself an opportunity or two particularly in the first half.

What he can’t do is the entire job of the front three and press and stretch the whole back line.

It’s almost like people don’t really get what the central front man in this formation role is these days…..

For the system we play, or tried to play, he did very well - especially considering he was playing tier 7(?) football 5 months or less ago.

He was let down, or rather Peterborough nullified, the threat everywhere else from the team which mean he never got the space to position himself in the box.

I certainly don’t think Vokes would have done a better job that Kone. Taylor maybe - but I would have liked to see him swapped with Josh earlier as it was clear Scowen had run himself in to the ground.

• Just watched the goals back after getting home.

Not normally too critical of players, but the first Posh goal is a shocker from Rav. Saw it all the way, solid hand and failed to keep it out.

To be fair to him the wind caught the second one, was heading to the corner of the 6 yard box and bent in, a lot of keepers would have been caught out there.

Sublime strike from Taylor, he’s scored some excellent goals this year, shame there haven’t been slightly more of them.

• I thought Kone was excellent first half. A really hard job against 2 excellent defenders. But he created problems.

Franco made some great stops but will always be remembered for his error which was really unfortunate. Such is the life of a keeper.

We simply had no options left at the end. Their bench had attacking talent galore matched with athleticism. Vokes and Taylor coming on earlier would have meant losing Scowen earlier and that would have been a mistake.

I don’t get the bile aimed at the manager for today. With the shots we had if any one goes in during the first half we probably can see it out. They didn’t. Sport is cruel sometimes.

Let’s focus on mid table now and maybe a scalp to make the league title interesting. Personally I’m already thinking August.

• It's not a shocker at all - he's got a hand to it and just been done for power by a very well-struck shot

• There's definitely two distinct schools of thought on Kone.

But one thing is certain, we need a bit of a game changer in attack next season.

• Gmac used to be it.

it breaks my heart to say it, but I think his legs have finally gone. Or at least, he wasn’t 100% today.

• I'm definitely in the Kone had a good game camp, certainly the first half his first touch and vision to pick out a pass was very impressive. He seemed to run out of steam in the second half, but there was a lot of potential on show. Vokes provided a different threat, the confusion he caused resulted in the ball falling to Taylor, my only gripe is that he didn't replace Kone.

It was gutting to lose to such a freak goal after such a strong defensive performance, though I don't think we showed enough threat to feel too short changed by the end result.