Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• In hindsight, maybe Dale Taylor should have been on earlier. He was up for it!

I said I would rather lose 2-1 than 1-0, so at least there was a "moment", unlike Sunderland.

• One highlight for me today was seeing someone walking around with ‘Fornio 5’ on the back of his shirt.

• edited April 7

Leahy and Grimmer were rinsed so many times today, and we can't do anything about it.

The real shame is we were good in the first half, surrendered the second, and for some reason made bizarre changes.

Putting McCleary up front alone for 10 mins then immediately subbing Taylor and Vokes on when we conceded was tremendously thick.

First half was great, suddenly in the second we got nervous playing at Wembley.

Also, we beat this lot 5-2 a month or so ago, so to say 'we went toe to toe and played well' is nauseating patronising

• edited April 7

Worst part of that game was having my view obscured throughout by the woman in the row in front of me who spent the whole game dancing around / taking selfies completely oblivious to what was going on around her. Bloody day-trippers.

• I thought it was a decent game for us. On that showing Peterborough aren't going up. Ravazolli played well I thought but there you go...that's football.

We got to Wembley again...our manager has a season of pretty intense experience now the late promotion push.

• But we scored after Vokes and Taylor came on @prufrock_91 and almost made it to extra time.

• Quick guide for those sitting near the Spanish fans:

Qué montón de mierda - That was unlucky

Compré una camisa nueva para esta basura- The better team won

Campo de floración OUT - Anyone fancy a siesta?

• I always think this, but it would be pretty depressing if only 5k or so fans turned up.

Unfortunate she didn’t do it in the second half really. Would have spared you seeing much of what went on.

• Kone is non league, despite the hype

• I couldn’t go sadly today. Weird watching them from home and I thought we played well for half an hour and competed throughout. Their winner was spawny but they generally looked more dangerous and could have scored more without Forino who was immense. Someone on this thread called it right. We desperately need pace next season, a goal scorer and a less risk averse attitude from MB. We played better than 90% of the home games this season.

• There's definitely been too much hype - but I think that's a touch OTT the other way!

• Thought Forino and Lonwijk were the class that would have got us to pens. Forino in particular made some excellent challenges I thought and will be a huge loss if he’s not signed for next season.

Going forward we only threatened when they made mistakes. Kone did as good a job as he could to hassle some mistakes but we were always a bit too slow to really stretch them.

That second goal put Franco in esteemed company with Seaman. Caught out by the flight of the ball that he should have stop. But that’s football sometimes.

Peterborough deserved it, whole heartedly.

• Should that have been addressed to @flymofrank ? I honestly thought I was going round the twist. @Wellesbourne75 probably did as well, especially if he’d been ignoring @FlyingPostman’s posts again.

• Was it my imagination, or has Kone Bulked up massively in recent months?

Don’t think he was ever going to be Jamie Vardy as soon as he arrived but another season of development and he’ll be ok, I think.

• edited April 7

He did absolutely nothing today, Vokes won more headers in the short time he was on than Kine did challenges the whole game

• He’s simply been thrown in long before he’s ready. He should be playing in the reserves (if we had them) and making appearances from the bench when we’re on top in games (when we rarely are).

Hopefully a proper pre-season brings him some much needed fitness and stamina. He clearly has a shot on him, we now need him up to speed and players around him that can feed the ball to a striker ‘properly’.

All easier said than done of course.

• Forino was comfortably man of the match for me today. Lonwijk and Forino were top class. We were the better side (marginally) let down by the goalkeeper.

• Not @FlyingPostman’s posts. @flymofrank ’s .

Im definitely going.

• Exactly.. no way he should be starting over Vokes

• sorry, did I miss the “Kone is a target man” memo when he signed?

Thats not playing to his strengths. Mind you, I don’t think what we did today was that either, but we are where we are.

• Rav was exceptional for the first 80-odd minutes. Will need to see the goals back but not sure there's a huge amount he could do for their first and their second... well it's not like Stryjek hasn't been beaten by fluke shots this season either.

I assume Vokes wasn't entirely fit or he surely would've come on for Kone. Leaving McCleary up front was bizarre. At the final whistle I got clapping the fans goodbye vibes from Vokes, which probably feels about right. Taylor and he should've been on earlier though.

I was most worried about central defence before the start but Forino and Nigel were excellent. I thought Potts had a disappointing match, sadly.

• I thought so too. But Peterborough were the better side.

• I wouldn't have picked Forino today, but fair play I agree, he was great today and was defo MON for us. But I still think Low and Taff should've started. Its a cup final ffs ! They are the players that have been playing, Low is our best defender bar none. What were we doing ? Saving them for a dead rubber on Wednesday ? It was a chance to win a trophy... we are not going down. Massively disappointed tonight

• edited April 7

(In reference to the Fornio shirt print!)

Hopefully a strange quirk of fate that his surname is that.

Rather than clubshop goonery.

• I was surprised by our centre back starters but they didn’t cost us anything and both played well. We lack something up front and I’m not sure Kone is it. I do think he has a hell of a touch and pass on him and perhaps his metier will be to feed the 20 goal a season player rather than be him.

the McCleary up front was odd but then Taylor. The winner was one of those that happened. I’m sure their player will claim he meant it. He didn’t. Max saves it? Not sure he does.

we weren’t beaten by a side much better than us, we were beaten by a bit of luck.

Next season we need to work on our strike options for sure.

Overall a good day out. Decent lunch, few beers and a day off tomorrow.

• edited April 7

And Matt Ingram (marginally less esteemed) did the same against Northampton many years ago at the Valley terrace end. I can see it now.

I agree that Peterborough were the better side. Makes it slightly less disappointing to have lost perhaps.

• I don’t agree that he was exceptional, but he did everything that was asked of him. The truth is, I’d expect Max to have done the same but, critically, also prevent a cross from going in.

• edited April 7

thinking about it more, Harrison Burrows scoring twice is not only the literal difference between the two sides, but tactically too.

Peterborough came at us with more than one phase of play. Stretch the back line with pace to get them turning towards goal - there full backs getting forward to over load the box. I t he end Burrows has a shot and scores, and his cross goes in.

Not once did Sadlier or Gmac get them turning

Not once were Grimmer or Leahy able to get forward and join into the final third.

Thats the difference in the two sides, right there.

• I really can't stand Wembley;

- no urinals

- no standing

- rubbish curved edge stands

- an effing DJ to create an "atmosphere"

It's like going to brand launch event rather than a football match