Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• I'd be very surprised if Grimmer and especially Leahy or Scowen stayed for League Two

• Great honesty from GMac. Personally I think it’s time we remembered we are supporters of the club and that means through good and bad times. Whatever our views on the merits of our current manager he is and remains our manager until a decision that’s completely out of our control is made or not made. In the meantime us supporters need to heed the call from GMac and do what supporters do - get behind the team. COYB

• But it goes both ways - the team have to earn our support by at least looking like they give a stuff

• Then again, you can't really expect a team that's lost faith in its manager to do that.

• Did you go to Wigan in the week? Tell those supporters they are not getting behind the team.

Is it just that Bloomfield is a Wycombe legend that you say this or did you say the same when Alan Smith and Tony Adams were our managers?

• PJSPJS
    edited January 27

Second half performance today was not one from a team that’s lost faith in the manager or doesn’t give a stuff. First half yes poor but we have often struggled to break down 10 men but not 2nd half. Yes they are bottom of the league but they are no mugs and were 2-0 up having had a forward dismissed. They only needed to see out the game

• Yeah, I meant to add 'if that's the case' - I don't think you can ever truly tell

• I’m so glad I don’t work in an industry that has loyal supporters.

Imagine the DPD drivers leaving their depot to boos, or jeers from the rival supporters at UPS.

Fans have as much right to boo as they do cheer. There comes a time when you can no longer claim to be punching above your weight. Once upon a time, we were one of the smaller teams in the league but we earned the right to be classed as better than that. We are a club who should be chasing the top 6 and therefore, as supporters, we have the right to be pissed that we are staring over our shoulder at the opposite end of the table.

• I say this because the decision is not ours and because across my 50 years supporting the team I have been there for the highs and the very much lower lows than where we are now

• Well put together post, but most of this squad leaving does not engender fear in me. I know gelling is a pain, but it almost feels like we need a clean out!

• The Cheltenham match is huge, inasmuch as a win would likely make it three cut adrift.

• Like most of us on here, you are a long time supporter, that is great but fans have a right to air their frustrations as they do pay to watch after all.

• Plus the next four games - Peterborough, Bolton, Oxford & Stevenage - look seriously daunting.

• Still can't quite believe what I witnessed first half.

Hard to recall a performance so lacking in so many departments.

From the very first whistle we lost 50/50 balls, stood off the opposition and largely failed to impose any physical presence on the game at all. The first goal was no surprise. To allow the shitshow to continue to develop, allowing Fleetwood to grab a 2nd, was unprofessional.

At some point one of the senior players ought to have recognised we were sleepwalking into a car crash performance and intervened. Go down 'injured', start a scuffle somewhere, or put in a thumping tackle. The booking would have been worthwhile to break the momentum of the game, wake us out of our slumber, get the crowd going and give management an opportunity to dish out a bollocking during the pause. Instead, we meandered through the first half in disgracefully poor fashion, barely laying a glove on the opposition.

Second half wasn't great either. Enjoyed seeing Kone score but couldn't bring myself to celebrate the first goal. It's hard to get behind a team so lacking in fight.

There were pockets of effort from reliable characters - Grimmer, Wheeler, Vokes - but the spineless display from several others made it impossible for us to get any sort of foothold first half. Potts as the fulcrum of the team was absolutely atrocious. If he wants to plays men's football at any level he needs to learn the physical side of the game Asap. League One football is scrappy. We cannot carry a holding midfielder who stands and watches every loose ball dropped in midfield, gets brushed aside in tackles, and looks like he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. If Scowen is still out next week I'd like us to get JJ in at LB and move Leahy into midfield. We'll be bullied out of numerous games if the midfield remains as Potts, Wheeler and Taylor.

Chem's defensive efforts were even worse than Sadlier's (quite some achievement) and he offered none of the attacking threat. Astonishing that we felt he was the right player to bring in for what is now an almighty scrap until the end of the season.

Nobody played well so I don't want to scapegoat Potts and Campbell entirely, but we can't afford to have 20% of our outfield players totally anonymous in the tackle.

Our lack of presence in midfield is bad enough. But it is exacerbated horribly by our defence, which likes to amble up to the halfway line at snails pace, leaving acres for opposition players to canter into once they recycle possession. As a result, when we are finally close enough to win a tackle we're turning over possession on the edge of our box instead of the halfway line. This has been happening ever since Blooms took over and drives me absolutely mad.

Hard to know where in earth we go from here. I'd probably start Kone next week. He is really raw but has a bit of fearlessness about him and his relentless enthusiasm might just rub off on the rest of the group.

• So why the fuck did he bring him back? We all knew how it would be, yet he’s expecting him to somehow be a different player. Staggering incompetence.

• @Glenactico I’ve noticed that you’ve gone in two-footed on Potts in a number of posts today. Bizarre, as there were so many players worse than him. For me, him and Jack Grimmer were about the only two players who looked like they could be arsed in the first half.

Worth noting your suggested Potts replacement for the next game, Luke Leahy, was about as good as Chem Campbell today. Although at least Chem didn’t spend the whole game moaning at teammates for not getting on the end of his crap deliveries.

• If only he ever went in two footed himself!

He's a defensive midfielder that can't defend. Way too passive on loose balls in midfield. Thankfully we have Scowen to compensate most weeks.

He won't get anywhere near playing Premier League football unless he spends some serious time in the gym

Main strength is obviously his passing game but he can't just rely on that. He needs to improve dramatically in all defensive aspects of the game.

• I thought G Mac played well attacking first half, he played right in front of us in the family stand so we get a good close up view. He had their left back in his pocket and got in several flat, low crosses and driven balls. Chem Campbell on the other wing seemed to offer little and Sadlier was a step up when he came on.

mad decision to drop Sadlier for Campbell today.

and mad to take off Sadlier as the first sub in the last home game versus Lincoln when he was playing so well.

• Mad decisions are a recurring theme of Matt Bloomfield's tenure as Wycombe manager...

• edited January 27

Couldn’t disagree with you more I’m afraid. One of our stand out performers this season. Is it his role in our side to be a midfield enforcer?

• Matt Doomfield

• Mad DoomTWAT

• Fair enough.

It isn't necessarily his number one task, no.

But he needs to offer far more than he does. We're a struggling League One side. If he's not willing to do some dirty work in midfield he's in the wrong place.

Players like him are sent on loan to develop, particularly to learn the ugly side of the game they don't get in youth football. He needs to learn it PDQ.

• We need a new left back and get Leahy into midfield. We also probably need another holding midfield player. We actually had three such players when GA was here - Josh, Dom Gape and Curtis.

• Can anybody think of a reason why we won’t be relegated? I’d genuinely like to hear it.

• edited January 27

Reading might get another points deduction (I'm not even being sarcastic, I think that's the only thing that would save us)

• edited January 27

KONE

He's already scored 2 in about an hours worth of gametime.