Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• But when Samuel did score, they were usually great finishes. Fleetwood and Accrington away both spring to mind.

• edited January 22

Fleetwood in the playoffs? That was a good goal.

• Give me a shout if Alfie May signs.

• Shouldn't overlook his gift of how irate he made Bristol Rovers fans either.

A guy I worked with was seething one Monday ranting about him.

• I have always loved Samuel because he seems to personify the two year L1 period before the promotion perfectly. Limited in skill and quality, but somehow achieving great things with incredible self belief.

• edited January 23

Couldn’t agree more. (I know, it shocked me too Alan)

I like Sam Vokes but I am concerned age is catching up with him in terms of mobility and the final 30 mins of a game. But while he’s on the pitch he has two handlers.

When he tires or is subbed, we don’t have have a straight swap and it hurts us. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we conceded so many in the last 10 minutes of games - Sam gives defensive help as well.

This is where I think we need Uche (or an uche type player) unless we change our attacking approach.

And for those that say “But I want a striker to score”:

Chem Campbell, Richard Kone, Gideon Kodua have come in this window already. They should be chipping in. One is a proven goalscorer - albeit not at league level yet - not forgetting Gmac and Sadlier. Wheeler can also help in the top third. We should have enough options in attack outside that one focal point in vokes’ position.

And at further risk of being a bit cliched, Big Sam isn’t going to be playing forever and may not be able to play Saturday Tuesday every week. We need a touch of succession planning in our squad (as you could argue was done when Sam was brought in to cover Bayos aging)and I don’t see many options of a similar player than Uche.

If Vokes gets injured again for 6 to 8 weeks - we’re boned.

• We are being linked again with a move for Newport County’s Shane McLoughlin.

Rotherham United, Lincoln City and Wrexham are also interested.

He’s a right-back / right-wing back who can also play as a defensive midfielder.

• Excellent, we're a bit short of right backs... 😀

• Thank heavens. If anything happens to Grimmer, KVY, McCarthy or Pattenden we will be stuffed in that position.

• You say that, but wait until Blooms needs to deploy 10 at the back to unsuccessfully see out a game.

• TBF they've all been out for lengthy periods this season and I think we only narrowly escaped a time when all four were out concurrently (memory suggests that Grimmer was just about fit by the time Pattenden was injured). Having said all that, there's another name already in the squad who can be deployed there if crisis strikes again... Swiss Army Knife David Wheeler.

• McCarthy’s not played this season, Jasper has been injured and remains untested at this level, KVY leaves most posters here unconvinced and Jack has also missed a fair few games.

This fella could be ‘the player’ for all we know.

• Jasper got a little run in the side earlier in the season and equipped himself well I thought.

• Indeed, good enough that we maybe ought to be considering shedding some of our right backs rather than signing a fifth.

• edited January 26

Jasper Pattenden acquitted himself really well in the handful of matches he played in before his injury . Wikipedia is statistically deficient beyond his spell on loan with Dorking Wanderers - hence ‘handful’.

I think I’m right in saying that he was played as a right wingback in the good old ‘five at the back’ days. He covered a huge amount of ground, box to box, tackling tigerishly at the back and getting well forward quite a lot. On a couple of occasions heading overhit crosses from the left back into the box. In front of a back four, wide right (or even inside with Josh) , I think he would do very well.

He has great potential.

• edited January 26

You definitely do seem to be swapping anger for a gently sardonic approach.

An AFC Wimbledon friend says McCloughlin was “ok” during his loan spell there. Nothing spectacular but a physically tough central midfielder who could probably do a job for us.

That is actually quite an endorsement from someone whose lifelong allegiance to Wimbledon FC has wavered over the last few years and who has only expressed fulsome praise for a couple of players - Al Hamadi of course and that zippy little forward whose name escapes me.

He was surprised that McLoughlin would be on the move before Newport’s FA Cup match against Manchester United.

He also said that Wimbledon were completely toothless without Al-Hamadi and Omar Bugiel.

• We need people who can create goals or score goals, simple as that.

• I look at what is likely to be the team for tomorrow (not in that formation) ...

Max

Leahy Low Taff Grimmer

Sadlier Potts Scowen GMac

Taylor Vokes

Where are the upgrades you would like to see?

The back 4 are excellent, the middle 4 are excellent, Taylor can be swapped out for 3 players in the squad at least. Sadlier has been playing really well. GMac already has cover.

• I think we need LB cover to enable us to use Leahy more flexibly, and we also need a true creative fulcrum, whether a 10 or not. The latter is much more difficult to come by.

• Quite.

So far this season...

• we seem to be worse from set pieces than we have been for a long time
    • no bangers from midfield a la Wing
    • for whatever reason, our crosses are failing to find Vokes on a regular basis - yes, he's fluffed a few, but I don't think we're creating that much for him
    • Mehmeti obviously saved us from out of nowhere on many occasions - in fairness to Campbell, he did show himself to be capable of scoring the odd belter when with us previously, but not with the regularity of Mehmeti.

Kone and Kodua both show promise, but are (necessarily, by virtue of where they are at in their careers) unproven.

• Left back, left back, left back, and err, a left back

• Wycombe looking to sign Beryly Lubaba from Burton

• Middle name 'Logos' - we'll have to get him involved with badge talk

• I think we need to start bringing Vokes on rather than starting him. That way he can hold the ball up when we need that later in games. Taylor isn't up to it, hoping Kone and/or Kodua take his place. We need a left back so Leahy, Josh and Potts can share the two midfield positions like Gape, Thompson and Josh use to.

• edited January 26

You mock, but between that lot we've barely had 2 fit at the same time all year.

• I'm just going to leave this here. I know we don't need another striker / attacker but......

• edited January 28

Some talk on twitter that we've signed striker Beryly Lubala, who left Burton this weekend.

(Titanic sinks etc)