Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Burton

Comments

• He didn't have it once did he? It was all us the last 5 or 6 minutes?

• Another good performance, keeper played really well 2nd half for them. We could have had one or two from Wheeler and Vokes if it wasn’t for him.

I wish we’d mix our corners up and actually put some around penalty spot and outside the six yard box.

• Two points dropped unfortunately. Bloomfield should have been braver.

• Could (should?) have been three, but points away from home are always welcome.

Nice to come from behind to get a result too.

• Unbeaten this year.........sigh

• edited January 6

Terrific performance. Burton are defensively very resilient and normally win if they score first at home. At least I think that’s what Matt Cecil said.

Looking forward to seeing Koné on Tuesday.. Better than Ivan Toney apparently.

• A good performance on the whole and unlucky not to take 3 points. Bizarre lack of substitutions when we maybe could've done with some fresh legs in the final 10.

• well, I said we'd gone more Gazball of late...and now a Gazballian attitude to the subs too.

• A more industrial performance than usual. Vokes very good, missed Josh as Potts had a different role to play. Taylor’s miss was a shocker and would have changed the game massively.

• A somewhat frustrating, not least because I had to keep jetting around Europe to get the feed to actually play rather than buffer.

Again we did everything possible to win that, but actually score enough goals. Would have liked to see Kone given 5 mins at the end rather than KVY, as I'm sure his adrenaline levels might have seen him produce something special.

Anyway another good performance overall and glad to see Matt isn't reverting to 5 at the back. Happy to acknowledge that so far he's proving me wrong when I said I couldn't see him turning our performances around.

• He’s in the League One Team of The Season (so far).

• Only managed to listen in today - didn’t see the game. Sounded like a very impressive second half. Certainly an impressive xG outperformance. Things are looking slightly better. Only three points away from 11th (somehow).

• I disagree. I’m probably biased but I think things are looking decidedly better.

• We showed more attacking intent in those last 15 mins than we did in most of November and December.

It felt like I was watching a Wanderers team again. :)

• Agreed. A strong end to the game where there was only going to be one winner. Shame it didn't happen but much better.

Can't put it all on Potts by any means but he's a class act who was massively missed.

• Playing a four at the back and sticking to a settled line up helps a lot. Only one enforced change from the last game, whereas earlier on we appeared to be changing for changings sake.

• It’s amazing how much better we are playing four at the back. Wonder why it’s taken so long to realise that.?

• It wasn't taking long on the Gasroom, just with the clubs tacticians.

• The pleasing aspect for me was that, once we equalised, we didn't sit back and settle for a point, we kept pressing for the winner. With a tad more clinical finishing, that could easily have been a 3-1 win.

Given the almost non-existent substitutions, I'd imagine that all who were on the bench today will be starting on Tuesday night.

• Thought today (2nd half) was a big improvement on recent away displays. Should have won it but it’s getting better. As long as we stick with this system and sign some players (pace is massively needed in this team) then we will be fine. As one of Bloomfields biggest critics he seems to have learnt 5 at the back isn’t the way forward so hopefully we can kick on now

• I’ve no issue with the lack of substitutions. We were playing well, the front four looked dangerous and were creating chances so can totally understand why Matt kept it unchanged as long as he did.

Good performance overall on a difficult playing surface, we were much the better team.

With Vokes, McCleary and Sadlier we’ve finally got some dangerous attacking play going on. Even Dale Taylor who I’d completely lost faith in is looking a bit better.

With Kone waiting in the wings and TJay to come back from injury, things are looking brighter.

• In isolation today was a good result. It’s a shame it’s still part of a string of results that haven’t yielded the points we want or need.

A sharper Taylor and a worse ‘keeper and we are home and hosed. I fear for us if Vokes gets injured as quite clearly he’s becoming the fulcrum of our attacking threat. Kone will need to feed off someone as every good striker does, maybe we need to find another big man this transfer window.

• We probably shouldn’t jump to too many conclusions about what type of player Kone is until we’ve seen a bit of him out on the green stuff.

Who knows, maybe he’ll become be the alternative to Vokes in the no.9 role rather than someone who needs to play off a big man.

• Agreed, which I guess explains the lack of subs. I was hoping for Kone to make an appearance. But why change things when you're creating numerous chances.

• I genuinely don't think we should see this as partof a sequence of only one win in 14 or whatever it is, but as the start of a run in which we're unbeaten in three and have taken five points. Maybe I'm a ridiculous optimist but we seem far better since going to 442 and, although we were hardly great, we were by far the better side today. 3-1 would not in any way have flattered us

• That was an excellent 2nd half performance from us today. Burton are a tough team to play against, but we tore them apart 2nd half and really should've won.

Don't understand the criticism regarding substitutions today. We were so much on top in the 2nd half, with everyone playing their part, it was hard to see to see what sub could possibly have improved us. I understand people being keen to see Kone, but he's a development player and should be seen as such. I saw him play at Wealdstone pre-season and whilst he looks to have talent, he's a long way from being a regular starter. For me, with the way we were playing, it would've been the wrong move to bring him on.

Frustrating not to win, but plenty to be optimistic about from that performance.

• I’m happy for the thumbs down to rain but I will make one observation. Yesterday was an Ainsworth game. Good pressing. High intensity. And pretty much the same players as he left (7 out of 11). So after all the talk of revolution and new era of football entertainment we are where we were 12 months ago. Just with fewer points.

• If Couhig had gone for an Ainsworth MkII appointment there's no guarantee that would have worked out and many of the people now calling for Bloomfields would probably have complained about a lack of ambition. It's a lesson for Couhig as much as anyone that a change in style of play to something more technically demanding also requires greater expenditure.

• I don’t think you are right about Kone. I don’t think he has been signed as a development player any more than Mehmeti was. I saw him at Aldershot and Wealdstone and from those performances alone he looks like he could handle the first team. Naturally we need to tread carefully with him though.

• Yep agree and I'm sure we will see Kone in action soon. Didn't think yesterday would've been the right game to bring him on. The forwards were all playing well and linking up well together. Bringing on a debutant could easily have disrupted the cohesion we were showing.