Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Defensively good but we have no cutting edge up front at all. Dale Taylor hold the ball up or keep the ball at all and Lyle is not the answer.

We are very short on confidence now and we certainly need some additions to the squad pretty quickly.

The crowd certainly turned on Matt at the end and to be honest, that performance did nothing to ease the anxiety around the club right now.

• Can’t hold the ball up

• Dont often agree with @aloysius but his post at 10:03 is spot on.

• No win for a quarter of a season and another match without a solitary shot on target.

This squad should be achieving so much more.

The thought of Rob’s fireworks going off as we trudge down Hillbottom Road after defeat to the horse punchers doesn’t bare thinking about.

• It really was a clueless performance. And once again is (sadly) all on Matt. Whilst we can all moan about the inability of Taylors to do sweet fuck all they have to operate in a system where maybe, just maybe, they get a pass to allow them to kick the white thing in the rectangle thing. It’s comical that D Taylor is a Forest player, it’s even more comical that L Taylor has said he’s come out of retirement - cos he clearly hasn’t. The latter has no future in a Wycombe shirt, he’s making matters worse for Matt. He’s no goal threat and his attitude stinks the team up hopefully his contract ends with 2023

• Sad to see but a lot of fans traveled and paid good money to watch that performance. Not good enough. hard to see where the next goal is coming from

• I've just read on twitter apparently Scowen stopped the players from going over to the fans after the game, anyone confirm this ?

• When will people accept that Matt Bloomfield is just not a very good manager?

Certainly not at this moment in time anyway.

To be fair to him, why would he be? It’s a very tough gig and many far more accomplished players than him have struggled in the role.

• Spot on. I love Matt for what he’s done for our club but it is time for a fresh approach and a new manager ASAP.

We look like a mid-table league 2 team playing in league 1.

There is no creativity, even from set pieces.

It is now over to Rob to do the difficult thing for the sake of the club.

• Was probably sensible given the circumstances / mood.

Not that I joined in for the booing / boring Wycombe chants, but if Bloomfield, a club legend and player of 20 years is getting abuse, what use is a bunch of first season players shuffling over to the away end going to do except exacerbate things?

• edited December 2023

No he didn't. He pulled some away when they were getting dogs abuse at the end having come over. GMac also gestured to calm it down a bit when Blooms was getting it to his face having also fronted up.

The fans were in good voice and good numbers and were mostly positive. It boiled over a bit when he brought Forino on instead of a forward and at the end where there were a mixture of polite clapping and throbbers going apoplectic.

• Hopefully L.Taylor’s contract ends 1st January. The sooner he leaves the better. Has done absolutely nothing apart from fall over and sulk. Will be interesting to see what Bloomfield has to say about that sh*t show.

• Exactly this. I’d say it was one of the best away atmospheres for quite some time with everyone in full voice. It just turned sour after that fairly inexplicable substitution.

• Vokes sat on the bench not even warming up at 85 mins given the context is absolutely absurd. Bloomfield is relying on an evidently unfit (or demotivated) Lyle Taylor to save his job? Really? Delusional. We were truly pathetic on second balls tonight. The worst I’ve seen us on them since the opening day. I love Bloomfield. He’ll always be a Wycombe hero. He gave everything for us. But he has to go now.

• I just want Bloomfield to be honest - perhpas not as bluntly honest as Wilder but honest...

• No shots on target. How the hell does that happen. Goals win games. FFS.

• We are a mid-table league one club on pretty much every graph you could imagine.

And historically we are a lot worse than that. Especially when you consider the money we've spent compared to others.

So being 5 points off mid table with a game in hand isn't the end of the world. It feels like it......but we still have time.

• To be fair Forino is more likely to score than any of our forwards!

• Are we mid-table in terms of finances? If League One clubs are all losing millions each year football is fucked long-term.

• We’ve got Sam Vokes on our bench and not playing a single minute. You’re nuts in the head if you think we’re not making £3m+ loss a season

• edited December 2023

It feels like we're at a similar point to where we were with Neil Smillie in January 1999. Ivor Beeks got his old tin tack out for a Mr Nice Guy then, sadly the current situation is pointing to the same outcome for Matt Bloomfield. As much as Beeks (rightly) was criticised for a lot of things, that was a bold decision made with minimum fuss, even if it took what felt like an age to finally find someone who would take on the poisoned chalice.

• Many a person near me defending him during that too. Much younger than me mind, probably never saw Andy Rammell wrestle wolves in the snow.

• Lower league football is absolutely fucked long-term, may well apply to all football.

• edited December 2023

The 1,000 + fans were fantastic for 85 mins, especially given current circumstances. In good voice including a couple of Voakes chants, then on comes F-J, not to play up front but replace our most creative player at full back. Then the booing started, by the end it was getting edgy. At the final whistle as the players came over the booing was matched by clapping, GMac tried to calm the boo boys and it only served to inflame things, Blooms head dropped and he turned away, I wasn’t watching any other reactions. It wasn’t a pleasant atmosphere, most un Wycombe like.

• This is what I hate, booing Matt Bloomfield. A guy that has given everything over 2 decades, a guy who sleeps at the training ground to save the commute to his young family, a guy who’s career was curtailed because he gave too much to Wycombe, a guy who it turned out wasn’t a good coach. It’s just horrid. Make it stop one way or another make it stop.

• Not sure what the players and staff are supposed to do tbh, they didn't get battered so were hardly going to effusively apologize and how do you do that to a crowd of 1000 who have differing views anyway, it was almost like they knew they had to come over but didn't really know what to do when they had.

A weird old evening but the suggestion we had some kind of goal threat in the first half and probably should have been happy with the point won't do him any favours. Hard to see how this gets any better for Bristol Rovers on new year's day.

• We all want it to stop.

• A game which illustrates that context is everything.

If we were 12 games unbeaten, we'd all be saying that's a decent point away from home, in the midst of a high number of games in a short turnaround, that it's great to see Potts back, good to get a clean sheet, etc.

As it is, we haven't won in 12, so the prevailing opinion seems to be that we were absolutely dreadful, never looked like scoring, low on confidence, etc.

Take the game in isolation, and I think it's somewhere between those two points. But the context is that I think if we lose on Monday, Bloomfield is done.

• Fascinated to here what defence there possibly is for keeping him still. There's no promise. It has to end.