Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• Nathan Jones. Moaning twat or not. Did a mighty fine job, both times for Luton. With a small budget, we’ve also the players I know he could work with. After all he’s used to working with the Potts family !

• Belittle? Have you seen some of the comments on FB, one guy calling our manager a ‘clueless idiot’ and that’s one of the milder criticisms. Do you think that’s acceptable language?

• There's similarly OTT stuff all over Twitter too (quelle surprise)

• To be fair to the guy on FB he has now admitted that he shouldn’t have called Bloomfield a ‘clueless idiot.’

• Knew I shouldn't have popped over to fb...

Someone posted a form table of the last 12 games.

We're 23rd, and Exeter are 24th!

• No escaping the facts, but the way some people make it so personal is unjustified. No wonder most managers don’t have the time or inclination to read social media!

• Certainly can't imagine it'd be healthy even thinking about reading most of the stuff out there.

• I'm wondering if the 'Make Alan Parry the next manager' posts on FB and X will grow into an unstoppable campaign.

• I get notifications of any posts about the club as a result of my time as head of media. I also like to see if people have a genuine complaint about specific issues so I can report it to the appropriate person in the club offices.

• No excuse for personal abuse. He will be feeling this run as much as we are. Most of us are simply crying out for better. It is a weird feeling to have a painful, gut wrenching pity for a manager instead of an pent up anger.

• edited December 2023

Even if the Rev did well, his history of clearing off at the first chance regardless of how his own team is doing and having failed miserably at two clubs that weren't Luton, laughably so at Southampton, aren't ideal, and he does talk utter crap. He'd also be first choice if Luton are looking again, would leave us in a heartbeat and want far more money than we'd be offering.

Blooms getting some players to be fit for more than a week, having a little luck and being able to build something are far preferable , no need to reply saying it probably would have happened by now if it was going to, probably agree, and there does seem to be an odd hatred by some of what we used to call supporting your team and club.

We'll know what the thinking is from Louisiana when we see some movement in the transfer market.

• I simply don't understand the talk outside of reappointing Ainsworth. It is the perfect match.

• edited December 2023

I think it was pretty swiftly and widely acknowledged on here that Bloomfield's choice to play the ball on the ground, out from the back then through the thirds and reduce the dark arts was a positive development after years of route one, cynical football. It's fair to say that the early promise hasn't panned out and Matt has failed to deliver on the pitch what he clearly is trying to do in training. But I, for one, would far prefer us not to go back to Ainsworth-style football. Even if you like his style and the ethos he brought to the club, it's often better not to go back and try to recapture the magic. He would inherit a squad of players that wouldn't necessarily enjoy his style of coaching (Leahy and Keogh might, maybe Philips, Potts probably would not) and we all saw what happened when he went into QPR and tried to get ball-players to go more direct. Plus why sully the memories? As Bloomfield is showing at the moment, it's easy to have your legend status tarnished when expectations don't match reality.

• I don't think he'd want to come back.

• He's already achieved everything there is realistically to achieve at Wycombe in getting us promoted to the Championship. In terms of career development it would be an unambitious move with little potential upside. He also wouldn't want to play a part in Bloomfield's dismissal.

I could of course be wrong. From a Wycombe Wanderers perspective he'd be a strong appointment.

• I don’t think his stock has dropped much at all. QPR remain hopeless. One point from a possible twelve. Five points adrift. If QPR go down it bodes well for Ainsworth. That would make it about four managers in a row that couldn’t get anything out of those players. They hardly backed Ainsworth in summer. Their top three signings were:

1) Smyth - never proven it above League 2 level

2) Colback - not played regular football for years. Injury prone.

3) Begovic - not played regular football for years.

Ainsworth had no chance. He’ll go for for a bigger job than Wycombe in my opinion. He also wouldn’t want to displace Bloomfield from a career in management anyway. He’s that much of a nice guy imo.

• Bloomfield’s choice to play football on the ground and play out from the back is well intentioned but no more. It’s a wish. If you can’t achieve it you don’t do it. Ainsworth admitted this many many times, in the face of criticism from others following another ugly win he would regularly say he wanted to play beautiful football but with the players and budget he had to play with what he had to win games. I suspect our coaches love watching City and think that’s what you have to do. But if you Richard Keogh and JJ instead of John Stones and Kyle Walker you may need to temper your expectations.

As for Ainsworth coming back I hope it’s a no. I love the guy. He left with my best wishes and warmest of thank yous. Coming back would never be the same. We will never recreate the era of Bayo, Charles, etc we had magic in a bottle back then. If he came back it would be flat pop I fear.

• His stock has definitely dropped, he was successful here, his only job on his record at that time, he now has a fail on his CV.

His angle was getting more out of players that weren't the best and finding and turning bargains into diamonds, he didn't do any of that there, and he fell into all the negatives that were mostly wrongly argued or perceived against him around style of play and not being able to get a tune out of ball players.

People won't all consider the detail at QPR, and he obviously thought he could do it on a shoestring or he wouldn't have gone there.

It's unlikely a championship club will come in now, but he might be ideal for an unfashionable club wanting to go up the lower leagues with a view to the championship and if they had a few quid that could be ideal for him.

•  he might be ideal for an unfashionable club wanting to go up the lower leagues with a view to the championship and if they had a few quid that could be ideal for him.

So......us if the Georgian takes over.

• edited December 2023

He's ideal for us anyway, he'd be doing us a great turn if he accepted it, if offered. Would be much harder for another club of our size to convince him and that could be a big advantage for us.

None of the above is me suggesting he couldn't do it higher btw but silly to suggest him having gone and it having gone dreadfully doesn't damage his stock in some chairman's minds.

• Yes he's a nice guy etc.

But probably shouldn't be forgotten that he came here as a vet winger under his pal Waddock then took over his job.

If Bloomfield is sacked it'll be down to under performance on the pitch, not because Gareth is in the background.

• I don't think Ainsworth is in the running for a much bigger job than us.

He wont get another Championship club after his tenure at QPR. Most of the big clubs in L1 will turn their nose up at him due to his style of play and the potential supporter backlash.

• Would always agree with this sentiment when people have mentioned MON coming back. That couldn't be anything but a colossal risk.

But less than a year on for Ainsworth I'm not sure it's the same issue.

A bigger issue is how much backing he'd get from the Couhigs. Did we go the loan approach for a cost cutting measure for instance.

• Yep. He'd do very well to step back into the championship, so is there a more appealing league 1 club on offer any time soon?