Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• Having had many dealings with Nathan Jones, loathsome would not be a word I’d describe. Funny, passionate, caring hard working, family man would be the words I’d use fitting perfectly into our club’s ideals.

• Andrew Howard is an ice cream salesman. He’s also a hard-nosed negotiator. That is the main reason he is still used by this club.

• Wiki says he is a devout Christian so would be a perfect fit. We might need divine intervention to make him want to come here.

• Just catching up on everything, late to the thread and I’ll try to keep my views brief.

It’s not working and I can’t see it getting better on a consistent basis.

I’d love someone to calculate what the %age of players who have played at least 5 league games this season is, that are out of contract / have a loan ending at the end of the season. I fear we will fall off a cliff in the summer whether we stay up or go down with current management team.

Why anyone could think that Cowley’s coming in rather than GA because he has ‘had his time’ is beyond me. I’d come back to watch in person immediately if GA returns, because I enjoy watching a team that presses the opposition and attempts to play 15 yards higher up the pitch, and just 10 months ago we were a shit load better. I don’t go anymore, I’m a busy person these days and choose to other things as sadly I’ve just been utterly bored watching the match and it’s not cheap to go to as a family with my kids. Incidentally, sadly, they aren’t interested either and I’ve heard anecdotally that other people’s children are less interested too now.

We have too many good players whose form is nowhere near as good as it was was under GA and Dobbo.

I’m fully aware there were some dreadful matches under GA but guess what, it league 1 so that’ll always be there. On the whole I enjoyed it.

I’m devastated for how this has gone for MB, but I want GA back and I definitely don’t want to be back in league 2.

It’s #bringbackgaz for me.

• My order of preference:

1: Gareth Ainsworth

2: Michael Duff

3: Danny Cowley

4: Mark Bonner

• Yesterday was the first time I actually thought that MB may have to go.

The ‘Club legend’ part is immaterial to the arguments. Whoever our manager is needs to be given a decent amount of time and as supporters we have to accept there will be some mis-steps along the way.

What changed for me yesterday is that it was pretty much self-inflicted - pretty much all of us I’m sure saw the lineup and thought WTF - and suggests MB is not learning or (probably worse) is too embedded to what he thinks is the right way to do things and inflexible enough to accept it isn’t always.

Last season was always going to be tough whoever took over from GA so I’m happy to forget that period ever happened.

The recruitment over the summer, whilst late, did seem to be okay and I think Leahy and Low are really good acquisitions. Whether the move towards loanees was a strategic, cost-based decision I don’t know but on paper all five looked useful.

The start of the season was clearly disastrous but arguably understandable waiting for the new players to adjust and adapt.

There was then a fairly gradual but definite improvement in both style and to some extent results which moved us from near the bottom towards the play off places.

It was this period that has always previously made me think that MB is worth persevering with.

But since the central cog that seemed to have kept everything working failed (ok got injured) all MB has seemed to do is just throw the rest of the parts together, shake them about in a box, tip them out and somehow expect the machine to function effectively.

Depressing all round.

But it shouldn’t change how we view MB. He will always remain one of our all-time legendary players. Maybe just not one of our all-time great managers.

• The good recruitment / bad recruitment argument is summed up in one player, Leahy. A superb signing. An expensive one for us. One of the best we have made in years. A player you build a team around. A player you know where his strengths are. And yet we play him all over the place. Left back. Centre back. Central midfield. Sat in front of the back 3. Wing back. Just behind the striker. In a 2 in midfield. In a 3 in midfield. Wtf are we doing ??? This is like under 10s football where you have 10 outfield players all playing a free role. How can you get the best out of your best players when they don’t play in the same position 2 games in a row? How can team mates know what to expect from a team mate if they are not forming partnerships? It’s a mess. It’s a sign of poor management. Leahy has been a good performer DESPITE this. Can you imagine if he didn’t have this challenge?

• Salford in League Two have just sacked their manager after a run of 8 games without a win.

• Yep, our extreme perseverance smacks of the board just freezing on making a decision. We will be relegated if we don't change manager - it's as simple as that imo.

• Scathing but spot on I'm afraid.

It's been a dismal 10 months and it's managed to get even worse over the last two.

• Since a couple of posters have wondered why I haven’t commented on this thread, let me explain that I got back late from Exeter feeling very depressed about our performance and decided to ‘sleep on it’. I have read some very valid points and some not so valid. I believe our squad lacks three of the essentials of a successful team, ie pace, youth and consistency. Of course, team formation, tactics and motivation are also vitally important and ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Napoleon’s famous quote ‘I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good’ seems appropriate. Blooms has had some terrible luck with injuries etc to key players (no one mentioned Forino missing out yesterday due to illness) and there is no doubting his commitment to the cause. However, he has also made mistakes which I am sure he would admit to, and the crucial question is- has he learnt from those mistakes? Well, he changed the formation and that brought about a brief improvement so he isn’t as stubborn as some people think he is. Do I think it’s time for him to be relieved of his duties? If we were marooned in the bottom four ten points adrift of safety, it would be hard to argue with those who think he should go because no one man is more important than the club. However, we still have 24 games to turn it around and the upheaval (let alone cost) of changing the entire backroom team in January and finding the right replacements is, in my opinion, a bigger gamble than holding our nerve and believing that things will improve. Other opinions are available, of course!

• Leahy has been our best signing this season easily, followed by Low (not including Potts as he's on loan). But I just think Leahy is wasted in defence, he should be in midfield every game

• Since MB took over we have accumulated the same amount of points as a team that would be expected to be relegated.

What on earth are you expecting to change between now and the end of the season?

The longer he stays the more likely we are to be relegated.

• I'm pretty confident that the likes of Leahy, Phillips, Low and Potts would love to play for Ainsworth btw.

• Alan, I appreciate your opinion, and it's not questioned that we've had some bad luck with injuries. But (1) he's been well backed in the transfer market to have a squad capable of dealing with injuries, and (2) we've not been in an injury crisis for the majority of his 10 months in charge. If we need pace and youth, why don't we have it when he was allowed to make 11 signings this summer?

Therefore, I go back to my original question: What are you seeing in Blooms that make you think he can turn it around?

Blind faith, the fact he's a club legend, the fact he's a top man, and the fact that he's obviously working incredibly hard aren't good enough reasons.

Also, those two games v Derby and Port Vale aren't good enough reasons either, despite people desperately searching for some green shoots of hope. We had 0 (zero!!!) shots on target against Derby before the last minute penalty. And we put in a 6/10 performance at home to a Port Vale team who were truly woefully (almost comically) bad, but still couldn't beat them

Genuinely wondering what on earth you've seen in the last 10 months to think he can turn it around?

• I can’t disagree with much of what you have said and it would be foolish to claim that Blooms has overseen anything other than a very poor series of results and performances, but my point was that changing manager in January is arguably a bigger gamble than not changing manager.

• Fair enough, and thank you for the response. I see where you're coming from, but I think *not* changing manager is far more risky than the alternative when our slide in form is beginning to turn into an unrecoverable nosedive. Especially when Gaz - a proven performer in League One and at this club - is available. He won't be free forever

• I think that depends on who you're planning on bringing in. Statistics would suggest that if we keep Bloomfield, there is a good chance of us getting relegated. That's a huge risk to take.

• ‘Fighting Talk’ on Radio5live is one of my favourite shows on the wireless. If @glasshalffull got through to the final he would be a shoe in for winning ‘defend the indefensible’. That said, hats off for not hiding from contrary opinion.

• the finest squad that had just had its match winner sold and not replaced. a squad that was over the hill. significant investment which was reduced considerably compared to what the previous manager was operating at. missing a key and class player in potts and the budget isnt there carry multiple of this caliber of player. lost hanlon for all im not his biggest fan was our pace option to move defences around.

got to give time and patience sometimes, we aren't getting trimmed up and not taking our moments at the minute to either take the lead or extend the lead. Obvs results need to happen but from teams 7th or 8th below the games really are 50/50's and its down to who takes their moments which we aren't at the minute.

• It's always about the money.

Couhigs want out as soon as possible, done a deal with Georgian/Kazakhstan Lomtadze.

I imagine the purchase of a struggling football club in the U.K's lower leagues isn't a priority for him now given geo-political shenanigans.

There will be a difference in valuation for a Div1 vs. Div2 club, the potential buyer will use this in negotiations.

Our best hope is in Al Hamaadi doing a Dixie Dean from now until end of transfer window, save 24 hours for deal to be finalised.

The Couhigs will be extremely reluctant to lose any extra dosh and are in a real bind.

Many clubs have thrown money at the problem only to find out they've got the same problem but even less money.

Wages are the biggest single determinant of success, rumours before a ball was kicked against the Mighty Grecians of a 40% reduction in budget reflected in 2 minutes 30 of the first (momentum-building?) game and Exter fans singing, We are top of the league.

Nobody will care than Matt Bloomfield, period.

But with a catastrophic, first game, loss of one of our best players, Potts, possible massive reduction of budget with the owner looking to off-load the club to new owners, it's not ideal.

I would ask Richard Dobson to return to work with Blooms and I would ask him on bended knee.

• Correction;

Nobody will care more * than Matt Bloomfield, period.

• I essentially agree with most of that post. We drove 420 miles round trip yesterday and what was on offer was pretty poor, especially in the first half. We are in a very poor run but two wins will lift us into mid table and breathing some signs of relief. Now is not the time to panic, it’s now the time to back MB and even more importantly the players on the pitch. Every one of them, with perhaps one exception, is giving his all for the cause. If the ball had run kindly for us we would have come away with a point. Sacking MB right now would be stupid, and I can’t see Couhig doing that yet. Would be financial suicide and would leave Rob with egg on his face, something that he wouldn’t entertain. He would produce the loyalty card with Matt -sticking by him through thick and thin.

Some of the comments on here and particularly the FB page ( I know hard to take seriously ) are frankly preposterous. ‘Get him out’ ‘Get rid’ etc. is aimed at a man that has shown total commitment to the cause over many years and much longer than some of the Johnny come latelys on here and on FB spouting off. It’s his job his family and he’s giving 100%, no one can deny this.

I think the end of January will be a key time.

• edited December 2023

You are right, without going as far as glasshalffull or empty, people are chucking in extra stuff that isn't necessarily right or needed as if campaigning for him to be sacked, I think we all know he's not doing a great job but they won't rush into anything and if they did certain people would be calling for his replacement to be sacked two weeks later.

As for Gaz and or Dobbo if people want them back the Couhigs would need to demonstrate they haven't treated Blooms badly or they won't touch it with a bargepole.

We weren't great for lots of last season but a player like Mehmeti or Wing can mask that with individual moments of brilliance if everyone else can just keep tight. We certainly haven't got that right now, even if we have a few players that are very good.

• Ainsworth's team beat Derby and Bolton in fantastic performances in February, both *without Mehmeti*. We then lost Wing, but Leahy/Potts are more than good enough replacements. This squad is just as good as the one MB inherited, if not better. And I very much doubt his budget is much reduced - he signed 11 players in the summer!