Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• I think it’s just that Phil is prescient.

• I’m yet to be convinced about these short goal kicks. We create more problems for ourselves than we do for the opposition.

• Taylor needs to be a bit more aggressive if he wants goals

• The whole point of doing that is to stretch the pitch, but we don't seem to have realised yet...

• Hoof, hoof, hoof...

• Breckin looks a different player. Much more aggressive. Maybe bulked up a little too?

• Phil and Jack working wonders tonight. Adding some much needed entertainment

• He’s played well so far and good to have a proper center mid in there.

i think Barnsley may well be in the same position we’ve been recently.

Definite improvement so far from Saturday.

• Our distribution hasn’t been great. Theirs has been better but they haven’t been able to do anything with it. Their defence definitely has a mistake in them, so we just need to make sure we capitalise on it should that happen.

• Tidy enough so far. We're winning some 50/50 balls and look more organised.

Struggling to make the ball stick up front though. Hopefully L Taylor can come on and give us something else upfront at some point.

• Maybe the master plan is to keep it tight and then unleash Sadlier, McCleary and Lyle in the second half.

• They've got a lot of decent players, we were never going to dominate the passing, this isn't bad from us. We've had sniffs of goal.

• Good again from Breckin. He is really getting stuck in.

• If we could pass as well as they do we would be a serious threat.

• We tend to be deadly accurate with our long balls into their half...it always goes straight to an opposition player!

• Steady half. Was a really nice attack towards the end when we went through the thirds with a short ball to Taylor then to Philips.

been impressed with Breckin, especially when he tracked back 50-60 yards to put a tackle in.

Hopefully subs will have a big impact.

• Much better balance with two central midfielders, and Breckin has looked solid and mature, if unspectacular.

• I must be watching another match. We’ve been truly diabolical again. The front three are completely inept. Breckin hasn’t got any bite in midfield. And, once again, the back three shape up to passes like tow trucks. Rubbish.

• Huge improvement. We're keeping shape and look reasonably comfortable defending crosses, which is what we did when we were getting results.

Barnsley are showing us how to progress the ball from the back with 5 in defence though. A couple of times Low and Forino have carried it out a few strides, only to then play a short pass to a man under pressure rather than push into midfield with the ball and start and attack.

Hopefully you're right @Shev and we can use that ammunition on the bench to dial up the attacking threat with 20 to go.

• Breckin has been the standout player. Tidy on the ball and put in some great tackles.

• We're competing at least tonight which is encouraging. Impressed with Breckin who's done well and made some good tackles.

I suspect Barnsley will step up a gear 2nd half, but we've got subs who could make the difference...

• Looks like we are playing a flat back 5, both wingback look scared to go fwd. Zonal marking by the 3 caentrebacks and we are lucky not to be one down. The players look lost in confidence and and not taking a man on. Hoping for an improvement going fwd in the 2nd half

• Are you just stuck on relentless negativity mode?

Getting really tiresome.

• Certainly a much better half than the first half on Saturday.

The back 3 have been solid & ably supported by Pattenden & Boyes, Breckin has looked much better & his work rate has been excellent, DT needs to get onto the shoulder of the last defender when we have the ball & be much more aggressive with his runs etc. much as I love to see forwards track back when we are out of possession I want to see him holding his position much more.

Overall a good start but we need to push on from here.

• It's a good away showing so far. Not a lot ot attacking so far but a few decent moments.

Breckin about as good as he's been for us, solid on the ball and surprising few people with the ball he's won.

Pattenden looking quite decent too. He's quite difficult to turn in close situations.

• Not convinced about defending crosses better. There have been 4 or 5 ones that have gone across the face of the goal and just needed a touch.

Good shape maybe but little creativity (a good move early on was about it)