Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough

123457»

Comments

• But does xG take into account the individual the chance fell to and their ability, the footedness of the player, their aerial prowess, the quality of the goalkeeper, the conditions (wet, dry, windy, calm) etc. It’s trying to quantify the unquantifiable. There are too many variables for the numbers to be anything other than an educated guess, it is not a statistic. Perhaps useful for a coach to an extent, in context along with actual real data, but from a fan’s perspective not that useful. Two very recent examples where some of this information just don’t cut it. Until about 20 minutes to go of the Portsmouth game, we had a higher xG than Portsmouth (it was mentioned by Jack Grimmer on the commentary). Although we played well, they were much the better side and played us off the park at times to be honest. To cite that xG as an indicator that we were somehow the better side was an ‘interesting’ viewpoint. Against Charlton away, we were fantastic in the second half and missed numerous great chances, but we did not not have one ‘clear cut chance’ registered. Hanlan took the ball around the goalkeeper and fluffed a shot, and Vokes missed a very easy header from the penalty spot with the keeper completely misjudging the Boyes cross - absolutely gilt edged chances but they were not according to the stats.

Generally the only stats that can usually show the way the game panned out are the goals scored and less so the shots on target and corners won. Otherwise you just have to have seen the game to have a true reflection on the match.

• I love the way old vinyl crackles, but it’s hard to argue it’s a better sound.

• It definitely sounds better on certain records, but it's about the pressing. A lot of new stuff sounds like it was pressed on a pizza base!

• Cassette all the way, was the best portable by a mile. Wobbly CDs were never going to cut it.

• Minidiscs. They were good

• Ah yeah, I forgot about them, still see sound techs using them now. If I remember rightly they were pretty expensive for the average bod though, and pretty quickly replaced by other digital options. Burning a CD much much more of a faff.

• When I hear xg being mentioned by a manager who hasn’t won a game I get triggered thinking about the Rev’s post match commentary interview at Southampton claiming he was the best manager in Europe according to the stats. 🤢

• I am delighted to report that The Beatles are astounding no matter what your level of familiarity with the finer points of composition. Songwriters and trained music theorists gush over them just as much as any casual punter.

• patchy, though.

• I was today years old when I discovered that Beatles is meant to be a pun 🤦‍♂️

• The disadvantage of vinyl is that when you leave them on the top of a night storage heater they warp rather and definitely don't sound so good afterwards.

• Excuse me. Is this the Peterborough Matchday thread?

• Memories of Gerald the Gorilla on “Not the Nine O’Clock News” all those years ago...

• 24bit 48khz wav or GTFO

• Would love to chip in but my lifetime obsession with home audio has never extended too far into the technicalities. If speakers etc demonstrated in the showroom had sufficient musicality to be pleasing on the ear, I’d buy it.

I have systems in three rooms, the most recent (about 6 years ago) comprising Rega CD player and amplifier plus a Rega P3 turntable. The speakers are bookshelf sized LX 3A BBC monitors .The deck rarely gets used as it has four stacks of CDs on top of it.

I really wanted an excuse to revert to the football. Looking at my calendar for 2022, I note that the corresponding three fixtures last year yielded just one point - defeat at MK, defeat at home to Cambridge and a home draw with Morecambe.

• The LX3As are flat response, near-field monitors @micra, do you have a home recording studio that we've not heard about?

• Someone posted this on Twitter, goldmine of old live music:

https://davestrickson.blogspot.com/2020/05/john-peel-sessions.html

• It’s like I’m wandering around in a dark cellar, and all of a sudden I’ve pushed open this amazing magic door...

• I’ve never heard them described in that way and I’ve had them since I read an article by the redoubtable Thomas Heinitz eulogising about them in the Sunday Times some 50 years ago. I have no idea what “flat response, near-field” means. I only know that, after rescuing them from the loft at the time I bought the Rega components at The Sound Gallery In Castle Street, they have steadily improved and the sound is excellent for pretty well all genres of music.

Where the system is situated is midway between the end of the bungalow where mrs micra spends most of her time and my ‘domain’ in the kitchen at the other end so I tend to set the volume at quite a high level!

I’ve never had a recording studio but I was once interviewed (for a BBC Breakfast Show) at Berwick Street Market in Soho by Cliff Michelmore’ s son. Whatever happened to him? (I doubt whether many on here will have heard of either of them!)

• Flat response just means they try to very faithfully output the sound, without colouring it at all. Near-field means they're designed for use in a confined space like a recording studio, though I think the LX were originally designed for outside broadcast vans. Most near-field monitors need you to be sitting in a specific position to get the right sound as they're designed to be used by audio engineers, usually at a desk (my monitors have a really small sweet spot about 8 feet away, ears level with the tweeters). I know that people who have the original LXs tend to adore them though, and if they sound great to you that's all that matters really.

• Guy Michelmore is 66, he has been a presenter, director and composer of film and tv shows.

• Thanks very much for that, @drcongo. Very interesting.

The ‘flat’ bit had me slightly worried. Thought it might be a reference to tone. Listening 7 or 8 metres away obviously isn’t ideal but, as you say, if it sounds great that’s all that matters.

• Thanks @perfidious_albion.

Obviously very much a behind the scenes character. When I “met” him he was asking people if they whistled in the shower!! Very strange. I’m pretty sure I didn’t but he somehow persuaded me to “whistle a little tune”. I think my lips were trembling with nerves but I gathered from colleagues the following day that the clip was actually broadcast. Extraordinary.