Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Gawd...Good results from the next few games and we can perhaps possibly dare to dream?

Glad I've got Tuesday off...floodlights Bolton...more points!

• No matter what happens, this season is turning out to be great fun and brilliant entertainment.

• I’m really surprised how quiet the match day thread is today. Today was a brilliant performance again. Every outfield player had a very good game and with this XI we look so athletic and full of energy. The high press is great. Genuinely think if we can keep everyone fit we have a real shot this season. So impressed with Bloomfield and the team at the moment, well done guys!

• Really liking the way Blooms has got our team playing.

One of my sons said today, ‘I don’t really want Gaz back, this is better football’.

• Yup - GA will always be a legend, but there really is a sense of a new day having dawned...or bloomed?

• Darren Ferguson said Posh were lucky to get a point. Unusual to get such acknowledgment from opposition managers!

• It’s been quite a turnaround from the pretty dire end to the season last year and the beginning of this one.

We’ve played some extraordinary stuff in the last few games.

• A totally enjoyable game of football and a wonderful away crowd to be part of. One observation on the match, the first half had few opportunities but produced 3 goals, the second half seemed to have far more chances but only the one goal. Looking forward to watching the highlights.

• Bloomball is starting to blossom

• Last season, we scored 59 and conceded 51, so we were a strong defensive unit that did not generally manufacture goals very easily.

This season we are on pace to score 69 and conceded 65, which obviously would make us a much better attack with a much leakier defence.

However, in the past ten games (if we get a mulligan for the opening two 3-0 reverses) our pace would end up as 83 scored, 51 conceded. In other words, as good defensively, but scoring many, many more goals.

That all being said, we are just getting in to the meatier part of the schedule, so we'll see if we can keep that pace up!

• Quote from Posh forum:

"The best team overall that we have played so far this Season in League 1."

• Gareth Ainsworth took Wycombe Wanderers to The Championship and very nearly kept us there

Let's all just enjoy Matt Bloomfield's growth as a Wycombe manager without losing the run of ourselves

• Really pleased with the job Bloomfield is doing and no doubting that we are a good watch at the moment.

No-one should be revising what we achieved and the football we were playing under Ainsworth though. Those last couple of month under GA we played some fantastic stuff, as good as I've seen from any Wycombe side. I'll still say that win against Derby was one of the best games I've seen at Adams Park.

• I was only able to listen to the commentary today, by the sounds of it the performance is part of pleasing trend of players growing in confidence and cohesion. Even when we looked disjointed, we were still getting points on the board against teams near the bottom of the table and that's set us up with a useful points tally for us to kick on in the latter stages of the season.

The Portsmouth and Charlton games have given us a lesson in what standards we need to set ourselves, we've come out of those games with a real determination and focus. Credit has to go Matt for the leadership needed for this, though we'd expect nothing less from the Matt Bloomfield we've known for 20-odd years.

On the Bloomsball v Gaz debate, the football we were playing just before Gaz left was brilliant to watch IMO. If we'd kept that setup together, we could we have got promoted. Things are starting to come good with Bloomfield, but there have been some hard and frustrating yards leading up to this.

• Standing on the shoulders as they say...Matt is benefitting from the long overhaul (sporting and financial) that GA and Dobbo had to oversee.

• Alan Swann still likes to have a dig regardless of his other comments "Wycombe’s style of play is not so obviously hoofball now that they are free of the limitations imposed by their previous manager, someone now swimming out of his depth in the Championship again. Certainly the club’s infamous obsession with time wasting wasn’t apparent until added time at the end of the game when substitutions made in the 93rd and 94th minutes were not an attempt to try and win the game. Wycombe are good at what they do, but there’s a reason why they have average gates under 5,000 for home games and take fewer than 500 to what they treated as a big game just up the road."

• Can’t answer the second one, I agree a keeper shouldn’t clash with the referee or anyone else for that matter.

Can’t answer the second one I agree a keeper shouldn’t clash with the referee or anyone else for that matter.

With regard to wearing the red kit my guess is as the green kit has white socks , we would have to mix and match as Peterborough wear white socks. Also absolutely nothing to do with anything I prefer the red kit!

• I am not seeing anyone slating GA? Just compliments for Blooms. I think everyone on here loves GA, and what's going on at QPR has no bearing on his status here.

• Peterborough is just up the road from Wycombe? That's news to me, Alan!

• Peterborough isn't "just up the road" from anywhere. It's a pit in the middle of nowhere.

• edited October 2023

Besides that crowd effectiveness should be measured by average decibels per supporter and from where I was sitting it was about 80 decibels from the Wycombe 468 and 20 from the various Peterborough bits - (8207) so the final score crowd score was:

Wycombe 0.171

Peterborough 0.002

If you multiply that by number of minutes the two sets of supporters were audible you get:

Wycombe 100 x 0.171 = 17.1 (We were singing before kick off and for at least 5 mins after)

Peterborough 0.002 X10 = 0.02

So no argument there.

• I thought you were going to add up the decibel levels to 0.174 for a minute there!

• The man is absolutely obsessed. Though if Wycombe fans didn't rise to his sad baiting he'd quickly shut up and go attention seeking (otherwise known as "driving social media engagement" by the kids of today) elsewhere.

• I am not going to name any names but let’s just say that Swann isn’t universally popular even within the club he reports on.

• Well there was the guy saying how his son didn't want Gaz back, as the football is better, but that's just an amusing anecdote from a kid.

There is sometimes this slight undercurrent of anti Gaz, seen mostly on the FB sites, that was always a few games away even at our peak.

I'm just delighted at the heck of a turnaround we've seen, as there was a very real time not long ago a lot of people were worried.

Although some will try and airbrush that out.

• Gareth took us on a hell of a trip we did not (on paper) merit and got plenty of stick for it on here (some deserved...some definitely not) which is why some Gasroomers often pushed back (drank the kool aid, followed the party line, stopped people having a different opinion,etc etc) The football and quality of player (in my opinion) improved as we went along even under hoof ball late subs Ainsworth, Blooms was part of that, watching a new team and team spirit grow (seeds of which were sown by the ethos of Gaz and Dobbo) and adding some good signings to improve style is a delight to behold.

• The only thing I could ever complain about with Gaz was he pushed the boundaries of gamesmanship too far on too many occasions.

What he did with a small squad of players who had no right to be at the Top of League One, let alone the Championship will be talked about in the Chilterns for generations.