Skip to content

South Well or Suthell?

We've all been chuffed to bits that Dayle Soutwell has opted to join Wycombe Wanderers but does anyone know how he likes his surname to be pronounced? A mate seems sure it's Suthell (as in "racing at') as that is how it was pronounced on BBC 3CR but I'm pretty sure Matt Cecil pronounced it South Well in his interview (though I'm now having doubts about that as I can't think why he would have needed to use his surname!)

Comments

• Don't forget people from Southwell get very annoyed when it's called "Suthell"

• @arnos_grove said:
    Don't forget people from Southwell get very annoyed when it's called "Suthell"

Really? From what I read earlier (via Google) I got the impression that there was no strong preference either way.

• I lived a few miles from it. Always called it like they do on the radio. Always corrected.

• So your fiver says it's South Well?

• Could it be pronounced Sout well Micra?

• It could be. Unlikely I'd have thought but I'm sure one of the Cecils will come up with the definitive answer before too long!

• One thing is for sure, the teens behind the goal will abuse anyone who says it differently to them

• On a slight detour, what is the proper pronunciation of Jordon Ibe's surname? Pretty sure when he was here we were told it was pronounced eeb, but these days accepted pronunciation is eyeb as in eye.

• There was a video on YouTube (although I can't find it now) where he said it was the second way (like five but without the f and with a b sound instead of a v).

• Definitely Ibe.

• Seriously, wasn't there a time when it was thought to be homophonic with eBay.

• @micra - thank god you didn't post that on the Facebook page; you'd have fuelled all manner of rumours.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    micra - thank god you didn't post that on the Facebook page; you'd have fuelled all manner of rumours.

lol.

• Wait for the announcer when he bangs in that opening day hat-trick and we'll know for sure.

• As a Nottinghamian I would say suth-ull...

• Surely Suth-ell like the racecourse?