Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Yes I doubt the other Couhigs would appreciate him telling fans to stay at home etc.

It may have escaped his notice that we don't have other fans to take the place of the ones he's slating.

• Somebody has to have a word with him as the club can't have somebody with possible 'inside information' getting wound up in public and shooting his mouth off.

(Sequel to We Need to Talk About Kevin a complete disaster, say critics)

• edited August 2023

Yep and I seem to remember it was utterly pointlessly optimistic.

Were we 2 down or something with a min to go and he was still talking about us winning? Something along those lines.

• I think you know enough about the game to understand that you can’t blame one player alone for one defeat, let alone three in a row. Also, we won only two of the first seven games after signing Max. Anyway, the point of my post was to illustrate that a poor start doesn’t necessarily evolve into a poor season.

• Fellow 'Roomers,

Give the new management team and players time to gel, nobody will care more or work harder than Matt to sort stuff out. Nobody.

A new manager and expectations of how the team performs should be viewed in the context of player budget.

Player budget is the single most important factor for a team's success.

The budget for last season might be markedly different to this year's.

The time we had to win Away at Lincoln was when we all went up the coaches, was it really 55?

Paul Emblen scored, I think, and like Essandoh, didn't score too many for us i.e can't remember any others.

Bring back the Chas.

• I cant quite work out why this discussion is still being had.

Do we want to give one of our longest serving club legends a chance to get things right as he goes through the tricky start that we knew would happen, or be a reactionary club that chops and changes plans after a few bad games?

It's been poor, understandably so given the upheaval. We were good in the first half yesterday, and lost our heads and shape in the 2nd.

We're 2 games in. Let's leave such panic until at least November

• edited August 2023

We've been mostly poor since February

• Correct. We've also lost backroom staff through the summer and had a major squad upheaval.

MB won't be sacked unless relegation is a very visible threat. So what is the point in constantly beating the drum that its not great right now?

If anyone thought promotion was a real goal they want their head looking at.

Hes a man we should all want to do well. Banging on that it's not is wasted energy

• Games played with new look team: 2. Games remaining: 44.

• The chairman himself stated promotion was the goal - I always thought mid-table myself, but people will understandably latch onto that ambition.

We can want Blooms to do well, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the right man for the job. Fans are going to voice their dissatisfaction.

• They're perfectly fine to voice dissatisfaction. I'd argue its stupid to do it after 2 games. Also, when it's clear that the dissatisfaction won't be listened to by the club, and really isn't helpful at all, it just becomes arse-achingly tedious.

I'd also argue that at the moment, after a summer in which he has brought in 10 players for a specific system, MB is the best man for the job

• What did you expect him to say? You’d have been one of the first to criticise him if he’d said our objective is to finish mid-table.

• We don't have a clue if it will be listened to by the club. He's not going to get sacked if we lose again on Tuesday, but the mood would be so toxic the board wouldn't be able to just ignore it - that goes for any club.

• Kevin Couhig is a soccer man, he gets the game but from a US perspective.

That also explains his incomprehension at our old world negativity coping mechanism re current performance.

Family is all important to them. It’s his and Pete’s love of soccer that has contributed to Rob being where he is at. Kev is defending his brother.

None of which excuses his outburst. But it does explain it.

• Er, this is actually a statement of fact rather than an opinion.

• With all the fan groups, podcasts, banner voting, drum diktats and flag whiprounds, if the mood becomes so toxic after a few losses that it seriously impacts things, we should all give up and burn the sport down

• It's not just a few losses...

• You're missing the point. Promotion last season was a very real goal. Had we gone up, the squad upheaval wouldn't have happened. MB came in on the back of a run of 8 wins in 10 and decided to change everything. Nobody else can be held accountable for the collapse in form that followed.

• edited August 2023

I expect the downvote is because some would say you'd find a positive even if we'd lost 73 games in a row 84-0, were rebranding ourselves to Tony Adams United, employed Joey Barton as manager, were moving to MK to ground share, were giving the profits to the local Tory branch, AND changed the kit to something Alan Smith designed in the dark, that made the 96 kit look like a work of art. 😁

• I'm not disagreeing that he has to be held responsible for the slump.

I'm saying that he deserves time to figure things out here.

At the moment, I'm not prepared to see the current losses as being anything other than teething problems with the squad change, mixed with poor mentality when we go behind.

There is just no point in bleating on that you don't want him to be in charge, just so you can say 'I told you so'

• Some will inevitably say 'I told you so', but I think most fans just want to see better...

• Even trigger happy Watford give their managers at least 6 games of a new season.

• I have no interest in saying 'I told you so'. I have traditionally been the last person to suggest that a manager's not up to the job and I don't think I've wanted one out since Adams. I've always made a point of not criticising players or managers on public forums and getting behind the team on matchdays no matter what. It's the manner in which this has happened that, to be honest, makes me angry. I was in no doubt that last season's form would carry over into this season and so it has transpired. Only a couple of weeks ago I got a Gasroom pile-on for saying it and now others are starting to say the same thing. In 6 month's time I would absolutely love to be laughing at my early season lack of faith and freely congratulating those who predicted that everything would be OK. COYMB!

• 3 games actually, or don't you count the League Cup. FACT.

• It's a bit worrying that some are advocating we treat this season as a virtual write-off (an understandable transition period of poor performances).

Half the team are loanees who won't be here next season - so will that be a transitional season too?

If the goal isn't to get promoted every season - what's the point?

• The chairman actually stated that this will be 'our best ever season'. Given that our previous best in L1 was a third place finish, we can only better that by finishing in the top two.

But plenty for MB to think about now, on that long commute from Ipswich.

• To my mind what Bloomfield needs to figure out is how best to get the ball to Vokes to ensure he's got the best chance of getting a shot off and the rest of the formation and style of play should follow from there. If that is pinging balls from out wide onto his head then we either need to make sure we get more balls to our full backs and give them the space to run down the wings, or it's playing a more traditional 442. If it's through balls on the deck from midfield we need to get better at not playing long ball when opponents are buzzing around.

Then we need a direct replacement for Vokes when he's injured. If it's not Taylor we don't currently have him in the squad.

• I repeat, I stated a fact rather than an opinion. People can interpret that as they wish.

PS If we ever employed the odious Joey Barton even I would consider finding a new team to support.

• Mischievous Mooneyman as by stating there are 44 games left it was obvious I was referring to league games. Anyway, pointing out that we did actually win a game in the opening week of the season might leave me open to accusations of being a delusional optimist!