Skip to content

3 deals hopeful

Comments

• Are all shortened names against the Gasroom literacy ombudsman's rules @micra ? Is TAGFC acceptable? TheAndy? Tandy? Can't say I like any of those tbh but cheers for keeping standards up. (Apologies for tbh 😄)

• Best forward we’ve had in years? Come on! I think the key words in your post in the case against re-signing Ikpeazu are ‘lone striker’. I think the trend this season will be towards spreading goalscoring responsibilities amongst several players - not least of course the newly signed attacking midfielders. I foresee plenty of intricate close interpassing in and around the box. Ikpeazu was always very much the lone wolf.

• I loved watching Uche, but Vokes is a level above. The only reason he is not on 25 odd goals a season for us is the struggle to provide good service, plus injuries. His first season (17 goals) showed what he could do, and even then we left plenty on the table.

Seeing Vokes in a Wycombe shirt is still "pinch yourself" territory for me. I know he is ageing, but he has bags of experience in the Premier League, and scored a killer blow to a fantastically talented Belgium side in the Euro quarter finals.

Not only that, but he is clearly a top bloke, calm leader and great personality, who even sold Keogh on the club.

Nothing against Uche, but I don't know if there is a realistic number 9 I would swap Vokes for.

• Vokes played a MUCH more supportive role in Ainsworth’s style than at Burnley or for Wales. It’s no surprise his goal output has been lower. His ability to buy us 50+ yards up the pitch in one go is invaluable. If MB can get our wing backs up the pitch and crossing effectively then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Vokes notch 20 this season.

• Hard to gauge because they have different skillets, played for us in different divisions as part of different sides etc.

But the way I'd look at it is if you could put Ikpeazu clones upfront for 12 League 1 teams this season and Vokes in another 12 the Ikpeazu teams would do considerably better.

• I think Uche's unpredictable nature would be to our detriment in the system Blooms ultimately wants to play

• Unpredictable for his own teammates, that is

• edited August 2023

I've said it since he's been here, but if we gave Sam Vokes the proper service he would be 20 goals every season

I loved Uche, he was great and I also thought he would tear league one up, probably still would. But Vokes is proven, Uche isn't. We just need to give the former the right service. Also quite excited about Taylor, not sure Uche would be happy to come knowing he'll be on the bench 50 percent of the time.

I could see Gareth going for him at QPR

• If we were a Championship side I would go with Uche over Vokes as he has the potential to bring a level of pace, power and unpredictability to create goals from nowhere.

In League 1 I would definitely prefer Vokes. He has the skill and footballing brain to trouble most defences and, with a half decent service (we can hope) should score more than he misses.

• Just think, not so long ago our option up front was Trevor Aylott. Now we are arguing if Vokes is better than Ikpeazu.

• They're both injury risks though, so in an ideal world I'd have both Vokes and Ikpeazu, with the hope that they'd get injured at different times of the season.

We saw against Exeter that when things get difficult we revert to long ball. It would be nice to be able to start each match with a 3412 and if we go behind bring on Uche and move to a 3421.

But unless there are serious doubts about Vokes's knee holding up all season then I think Ikpeazu may be an addition too far.

Plus it sounds like we're hopefully still bringing in Richard Kone... Can he do the Ikpeazu role (with more goal return?)

• Reluctant as I am to agree with aloysius (just joking), when Kone scored against Aldershot I turned to my pal and said ‘he’s like an Uche mark two!’ Yes, he’s raw and inexperienced but he has that unpredictability and eye for goal that made Ikpeazu so effective.

• I loved watching Uche, but Vokes is a level above. The only reason he is not on 25 odd goals a season for us is the struggle to provide good service

This is the thing though, Uche never needed the service, he created goals out of nothing. If we can’t get the hang of feeding Vokes then Uche would be a much better shout.

I’d love to have them both here as I think they’re completely different in style. Imagine defenders just getting to grips with marking Vokes out the game and then Uche coming on and giving them a different headache altogether.

• If we can get him back Uche would be a great signing. You can never have too many goal threats.

Don’t see it happening tho.

• This is a very good point too. I also think Dale Taylor will do well. Vokes, Uche and Taylor would be some serious firepower!

• Uche and Vokes are about as different as strikers get.

One is the classic target man and one gets it, can beat players and score from nothing.

Not saying I disagree with your first line though. Clearly only one has played in the premier league though.

Uche did his work for us in the championship, where for most of the time we barely had much about us, so has a decent shout to be seen as our best talent up front bar Vokes for years, even if you'd obviously rate Bayo higher for contribution for the course.

Going for 750k too, which bar Tyson (not recent years) no striker has matched?

• All this talk of Uche's wages.

He currently earns less than any other player on our books. Even less than the bar staff, stewards or car park attendants.

• Agree with this, one of my favourite strikers to watch in recent times and think he’s brilliant for the Club. Hoping him and Taylor strike up a good understanding this season.

• I would have loved to have seen him in League 1 the season after we got relegated. He would have been a handful.

If he hadn't had gone, would we have Vokes though?

This leads me to a controversial question - has Vokes been a......

• success?
    • failure?
    • jury still out?
  • How can the jury possibly still be out on Vokes?

• Yep baffling.

It's like people ignore the goals and impact of the first season which even the most agendered against couldn't argue, surely.

• I’ve always referred back to those 17 goals in mitigation.

• edited August 2023

Agree with the above - and even the poorer goal return last season (6?) does not give the context of 2-3 ridiculously disallowed goals and a period out with injury. If he had been fit with competent refs all season, he is looking at 12-14 at least.

If that is a problem, we need more problems like Vokes!

• If the bar staff, stewards and car park attendants are on Championship striker wages...it's time for my career change

• Or to check ‘em out. Whatever happened to that 6’ 9” barman ?

Don’t tell me. He’s chucking them out.

• Or the cat (do we have any other gasroom animals, we also have an otter) is simply referring to that fact that an out of contract player is currently paid zero

And a player on zero is usually quite easy to sign up.

• For me Vokes has been a success for the Club during his stint. His hold up play and footballing intelligence have been great to watch, and on his day I think he could probably still cut it at the level above in a target man type role. He gets through a lot of work during a game and I think we’ll see him potentially get a fair few assists this season alongside some goals.

We’re fortunate to have someone of his quality, so a definite success for me.

• Is he a Championship striker? He's currently unemployed.

• He'll be hanging on for a good deal, may even have something lined up, doesn't need to drop his demands yet. Give it a few weeks and some teams will be desperate for a striker.

• We already are.