Skip to content

Harry Boyes signs on loan

edited July 2023 in Football

21-year-old Sheffield Utd left back Harry Boyes signs on loan for the season. Spent last year on loan at Forest Green and then Lincoln, making 30 League One appearances in total.

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2023/july/13/boyes-is-a-chairboy/

Comments

• Have to say the signings this week have (on paper at least) been high quality.

Lets hope the fan base welcome him for the first game. Lets hear it for the Boyes, lets give that Boyes a hand.....

• edited July 2023

A hive of info on the Lincoln forums about Boyes.

Apparently a superb defender and engine, loves to get forward but needs to work on his crossing. The vast majority of the Lincoln fans wanted to sign him.

Was voted in the National League Team of the season in June 22 by fellow clubs while playing for Solihull Moors.

• No new players and the idea that MB does not have the draw of GA...and now we seem to be signing experienced players and youngsters with potential.

I know they have not proved it on the pitch yet...but it seems to suggest Wycombe still have a good rep for giving players a last hurrah or developing talent.

Just need that 20 goal a season striker now.

• Another promising looking acquisition. And he's getting shirt no. 11, which suggests he'll be a starter.

• Number 11 gives a hint of left wingback. An Obita beater, perhaps?

• edited July 2023

Sounds like the perfect complement to Jason McCartney on the right!

• Stryjek

Grimmer Keogh Tafazolli Boyes

Scowen Leahy

Mccleary Breckin

Vokes

Subs: KidGK, Mccarthy, Jacobsen, Forino, Wheeler, Hanlan, Ward

In reserve De Barr, Pattenden, Young, Other kids

Not too shabby at all! Perhaps just back up to Vokes now needed?

• As somebody from the right side of Glasgow I'd have liked him to be William Boyes

• Another promising addition to the squad, and good to have another left footed option for Blooms. Seems like he’s another one to develop and I’m looking forward to watching him in action.

Will be interesting to see how we line up formation wise this year as it feels like Blooms might be considering wing backs as part of our system. Might even be looking at a box 3-4-3 like Liverpool started to popularise towards the end of last year.

• Times might be hard but I'd expect us to start with eleven.

• Looks like he'd play 'lairy lad #2' in a Mike Skinner video. Good enough for me.

• If Harry 'William' Boyes had signed yesterday I'd have had to dust off my uncle's sash and bowler hat.

He's played a fair bit for one so young. Looks a good signing.

• Now this is why I am excited about Matt Bloomfield’s team. What a great signing. Harry Boyes is a very exciting left wing-back and I can’t wait to see him in action.

Hopefully there’s a permanent deal to be done next summer.

• Ooh good. I was a bit worried about width. Shall we bring in wheeler or Hanlan?

• I’m sure that a deal could still be done.

• The new Steve Guppy. Now all we need is the new Mark West

COYB

• @Mandown What we need now is for Matt to say "we think we might already have him in the building" like GA said when we were calling for Championship signings and he'd seen Mehmeti in training.

• Potentially a match day 18 of

Max

GK2

JMac

Grimmer

Forino

Keogh

Taf

JJ

Boyes

Scowen

Leahy

Young

Breckin

GMac

Vokes

Wheeler

New striker

TJ or Hanlan

This leaves Mellor and the second season development players without a place. Probably going to see the majority of them heading out on loan for part or all of the first half of the season.

Prediction from me is that Hanlan and Mellor will leave the club

Discuss

• I think Hanlan is a useful player to have played wide and hopefully we will see Mellor given a chance. While we are still in the Cups, I think Matt will want to hang on to players for a while to see how they do for him.

• Boyes is not U21 so he counts towards the 22 man squad.

I make that 6 more senior spots left with the following 16 counting as senior pros. Goalkeepers don't count.

Grimmer

JJ

Scowen

Forino

Taf

Wheeler

Vokes

Leahy

Boyes

McCleary

Young

Keogh

Hanlan

Mellor

McCarthy

Tjay

I reckon we might see another three signings but expect we will not fill our 22 spots.

• Not sure why anyone would down thumb that post @bargepole. Innocuous enough, I’d have thought.

My follow-up, based on the shirt number and (now) subsequent posts about his style, was to suggest that he’s probably more of a wingback than a fullback. (Not that he was going to get the number 3 shirt, of course!)

• Well done MB and staff. They have gone from a TBD grade to an A in the space of a few days!

• I quite approve of this famine and then feast approach. Nice timing with the start of the season relatively close.

• For the first time in many years, I don't know what we're getting with signings. There was a while under GA, with budget restrictions there, that you would get either journeymen or former players coming back. Feels remarkably fresh to bring in young but proven players, and see what MB wants to do with them.

• The last six days have been some of the best in my life!

What with the very enjoyable few hours at Adams Park on Saturday and an excellent lunch with friends at (possibly) one of @Wendoverman’s watering holes - the Firecrest - yesterday, the signings this week have been mightily encouraging.

I’m just settling down to watch Ons Jabeur take on Sabalenka at Wimbledon. She is such a star and her scissor kicks and flying volleys of the tennis ball are unbelievable!

• I'm used to it now...it happens almost every season.

• I don't think I;ve been to the Firecrest since before the locking down. Be careful with your ticker @micra big lunches and watching your future wife playing tennis... 😉

• Friday night they'll be dressed to kill

Down at the Firecrest bar and grill

The drink will flow and the blood will spill

And if Boyes wants to fight you'd better let him!

Boyes has come to town! Boyes has come to town!

Spread the word around