Skip to content

Comments

• edited July 2023

TH, Wiki says Leahy is defender and midfielder. I know he is left footed - so defensively is he cover for JJ, or can he play CB too?

Edit: never mind, should have read the article!

• (sorry Tom, just thought it would be funny to do the titanic thing when your thread was nanoseconds later than @Twizz's)

• edited July 2023

I’m extremely pleased with this one. Exactly what we need positionally and crucially another left-footed player. Another leader in the dressing room too. We’ve got some characters back. Get in.

• I love how serene that painting makes one of the biggest maritime disasters of all time look

• I am just trying to figure out which lifeboats McGoldrick and Knight left in.

• He's taken the no10 shirt

• Who's signed?

• Shrewsbury saying they turned down multiple bids from us

• edited July 2023

With the No 10 shirt, I'm guessing that MB sees him as a replacement for himself as a box-to-box midfielder rather than a left back? Or am I making a too bigger thing about squad numbers?

• 81k, 82k, 83k!

It would seem we have paid around 80-100k with some potential add-ons. Good business for a left sided player who can play LB, LWB and CM. It does seem though that he will be used in midfield with him being given the 10 shirt.

We are still after a LWB/Left sided player then, such a shame we lost Obita (Who wouldn't go for European football) but hopefully Matts got another player up his sleeve.

• Leahy’s leaving statement about ‘since my change of position’ (from LWB to centre/defensive midfield) also suggests this. My gut instinct thinks Bloomfield will go for another young loanee for the left sided role.

• I'm still in shock we've paid £100,000. A signing and Rob has opened his checkbook. Chips all round!

• edited July 2023

The other two signings could be brilliant but I'm unsure until we see it.

But this one feels a really good one. Sounds like he was Shrewsbury's key man, captain, top scorer , player of the season etc.

And we've earmarked him and been relentless. And the player himself clearly wanted to come here.

Hopefully we're now building nicely after a few worries kicking in for all but the 100% positive in all scenarios merchantsm

• Have to say I am slightly surprised we would pay a reported six figure transfer fee for a 30yo player with limited resale value.

Accounts a while back suggested we have burnt through the Championship cash and appear to be significantly loss making which means it appears cash can therefore only come from owner - whether in equity or loans is largely irrelevant. I never got the impression however that Couhig had funds of that scale available to him - whether or not he chose to use them on his football club. Which leaves me a little puzzled what the source of the cash bankrolling the club is. Maybe the Couhigs have more wealth than I realised.

• Are they spending the Forino money? Another article in QPR’s local paper saying Ainsworth wants Forino but Wycombe reluctant to sell. Ploy to push up the price ? Same article suggests Ainsworth will get Wing. Wonder if he was tapped up by Ainsworth not to extend with us?

• Easy now, we might have paid money but there still isn't chips from the kiosks!

• edited July 2023

https://twitter.com/lukeleahy/status/1679073558507520001?s=46&t=pJ2E-p39qNsXT59eq4PJJQ

someone didn’t get the “we don’t share contract length” memo 😂

Surprised, in a good way, in a 3 year deal. Shows commitment from both sides. Also, 100k spread over 3 years - if the precedent of premiership transfer dealing filters down to us - isn’t a bad bit of business.

• These three signings, with two of them likely to feature regularly in the starting XI, mean that we have the makings of a strong squad which can challenge for promotion. Hopefully, a few more transfers or loanees will be added in the current window.

Sky Bet still have us at 25/1 to win the League, behind Oxford at 22/1. Derby are favourites at 9/2. I've stuck a cheeky tenner on Wycombe.

• Amazing. Two Luke Leahy threads to choose from and @Malone and I have been discussing him on @kipper’s Announcement thread !

Well worth a glance.

• We did. But accounts suggest we are losing more money annually than we raised by selling Mehmeti so presumably that is already gone.

As long as all this is being funded by shareholder debt/equity and not third party loans (which surely wouldn't be available anyway) and as long as there is a reasonable prospect of funding committed player contracts if something were to go wrong with Couhig, then I guess it isn't really our problem, but I am a little curious as to where the physical cash is coming from to pay the bills. As I say I didn't think Couhig had that extensive personal resources.

• Why No new players????

New players!!!

Too old!!

Too Young!!

He'll be off if he's any good!!

And how can we afford them???

Even before a ball is kicked you have to love football.

• Exactly.

You could say we've been done up like a.... halibut.

• Too old

Too young and probably part of some "creative" City accounting that lets them put it down as a huge cash influx somehow.

Too much money at 100k. (yet seemingly perfect for character, goals, popularity)

We just can't get it rightings this summer.

• If it was £100k, surely it was the trust donation that has paid for LL...

• Some terrifically sniffy remarks on the Shrewsbury forum . They’re a huge club apparently.

• I thought it was Richings that always got it right.

I am quite gullible though.

Mi deh yah, yuh know!