Skip to content

Do we actually need a new midfield playmaker?

It's become the received wisdom on here that we need to sign a creative, playmaking midfielder this summer to get our goals tally up next year. I'm not so sure we do.

I think we play much better football in a 442 than variations of 433. And given the emergence of Rowe recently and the new contract for O'Nien, I'm not sure where we would fit a new creative midfielder in under 442. Sure, if Saunders became available, we would be crazy not to try and sign him, but otherwise I think we already have the talent in that department and money is much better spent elsewhere.

This season O'Nien hasn't really been used in the creative role, his talents for breaking up pay and making a short pass being more necessary when playing alongside Bean, whose distribution has always been his weak point. But if Rowe plays ahead of Bean you've got someone who's able to break up play, protect the defence, distribute smartly and harry off the ball. That would free up O'Nien to make the decisive defence-splitting pass and maraude further forward as Murphy used to do.

I would like to see a commitment to 442 this summer and spending money reserved for PCH, another Hollowayesque target man, someone to either replace or challenge Wood on the left, and a season-long loan of a promising Prem or Championship ball playing central defender in the mold of Mawson and McCarthy. I now think Bean will be given a new contract but I hope the terms reflect he won't necessarily be a starter. McGinn or Kretzch can deputise for O'Nien in the more creative role.

Looking back at last summer, I'm sure when Gareth signed Banton, Harriman and Rowe he was planning for a sophisticated 442. I don't really know why we never saw it, instead seeing players unsuited to hoofball constricted into that system. So this summer what I most want for the gaffer is just more belief that Wycombe don't have to rely on route one - and a transfer strategy that again reflects that.

Comments

• I would certainly agree there is no point signing a creative midfielder if we are going to play in the same style next season. I think we have seen with McGinn this season, a player who's main attributes are passing/keeping the ball will be anonymous 95% of the time with the way we play.

• Yes we do, we've needed one all season. I think the problem with McGinn is that he isn't good enough.

• @aloysius - I agree with you and, despite the result yesterday, I thought we were better in midfield than for most recent games. (Wasn't at Fratton Park but as Danny Rowe got MoM assume the midfield worked well.)
    I know supporters are divided about Max, but I think his best is yet to come and that, if retained and given more opportunities next season, he could finally realise his true potential. That interception and burst forward yesterday was impressive and, with better match-fitness/confidence, he might well have continued his run and had a shot at goal.

• Next season I would like to see a bit more rotation in the squad. The fringe players need a run out to keep match fit, maintain their enthusiasm and give the likes of Thompson, Hayes and the midfielders a rest, particularly during the two games a week period. This may also reduce the number of injuries during the season.

• There is very little chance we will sign a player as good as Saunders. What we really really need is midfield players who actually want the ball and don't go hiding leaving defenders little choice but to hoof it long, especially when the front two never win it.

Whether that means signing new players, or getting the ones we've got at the moment to play a bit differently, I don't know. Probably a bit of both.

What I would say is if we don't sort out what's gone on since the start of the year then clearly we're looking at a relegation fight next season. We've ended up with the worst of all worlds. A defence who can't bring the ball out but who no longer keep clean sheets, midfielders who don't want the ball, and a front two who don't win anything in the air.

The players who leave and come in over the summer will give us a big clue as to the style of play we'll see next season.

• I think that's fair @eric_plant except I still think our defence is one of the stronger ones in the division, even without McCarthy. Without Pierre too is another question.

• @aloysius; Good stuff,

"I think we already have the talent in that department and money is much better spent elsewhere", agree on most points, except I would prefer a Saunder'esque midfielder someone like Udumaga, if we could get him again on loan bolster that department's creativity.

The key is, will Ainsworth play the likes of Rowe, Luke or another creative midfielder for more than a game? as a run of games, playing together and building an understanding of each others game, would be the making of the young guns imo.

• Don't get me wrong i loved having Saunders in the team last season but can someone tell me what he contributed in terms of assists (was it 2 goals he scored?).
    Personally i think the loss of Sam Wood's assists has been one of our major short comings this season, but Woody does not fit 4-3-3 and that combined with a drop in form has killed that outlet.
    As others have said having a Saunders is pointless if we by-pass midfield. McGinn for me could do the creative role as could O'Nein but it has to be part of a 4 man midfield they simply can't press, get wide and create whilst overloaded in the centre. If we continue next season like this with tactics we will again be the best defence in the league, and mid table.

• It was interesting getting a taster of Rowe in midfield these last 2 games. I didn't especially see him as a regular in there to be honest, but I could see him, O Nien and Harriman forming a young dynamic midfield.
    Will be interested to see what Ainsworth does with Bean, Bloomy and Wood though.

• I don't see Wood, Bean and Bloomers all being kept on.

• maybe 2 of the 3 max

• In terms of League Two, we're fine for keepers, fine for defenders, fine for midfielders. If any money is available it HAS to go on a completely new strike-force. If we had had Billy Kee and Josh Windass this season we'd have probably got automatic promotion by now. Hayes, Thompson, Ugwu and Liburd are simply not up to it. We need pace to counter-attack away from home and a small nippy striker to put away chances at home. Otherwise you can have 90% possession in a game but if you can't put the ball in the net you're wasting your time. I can see PCH being here next season as he doesn't fit in at Millwall and he likes it at Adams Park but we need two others as well as a priority.

• I'd go along with that Andy.

• If Hayes is to stay what about playing him at the point of a diamond behind two strikers? Just an idea

• Other than for sentimental reasons and because he provides good leadership, I really struggle to see how we could justify keeping Paul Hayes now. The only other way I can think is if he does a Wayne Rooney and drops permanently into midfield, acting as the creative link man. But I'd really prefer O'Nien to be allowed to play that role next season, I think he's got so much potential and footballing intelligence.

I think signing PCH is a given. I wonder whether we'll see any other striker joining us though. Could PCH form a strike partnership with Ugwu? Or maybe Liburd if he's released? On paper their skills and physicalities complement each other. Neither have excelled this season but that's as much to do with lack of opportunity as lack of ability, I suspect. The only issue then is PCH's injury record. I suspect we'll be in the market for a nippy striker like Sellars, released from some youth team, to act as a PCH understudy.

If we give Bean a contract I'd like to see us play a 451 counterattacking system in the tricky matches away from home - retaining our width but using Bean to give extra bite in front of the defence, and just playing PCH up front, pushing O'Nien slightly further forward as well.

• Bean has to be retained, not just for his breaking up of play, but the fact that he can do a good job as cover at full back. If Wood isn't retained this adaptability is useful.

• Bean right; Wood left.

• Yes. Yes, we do.

I'll give Ainsworth the benefit of the doubt and assume the fact we bypass the midfield so often is due to fact we don't have a player of that type.

Of our CM's O'Nien is a box to box player, McGinn a great passer but normally sideways and the rest just defensive.

On the topic of strikers, I'd keep Hayes if we were to go out and get a decent partner for him. PCH benefited greatly last season and his few games this by feeding off Hayes.

Unfortunately as we're stuck with Thompson next year that makes it a tougher call for me. Apparently not for Ainsworth though.

• How about ditching all the sentimentality which seems to be around. Bloomfield is past it and has very little to offer,likewise Hayes and Thompson,although I accept we are stuck with the latter ageing striker unless we can transfer him. There is an urgent need to bring in two young strikers,non -league players if necessary,who are hungry enough.Most of all change the stultifying style of play otherwise there will be few people willing to pay the entrance fee.

• Not only do I think we should keep Hayes I'm pretty sure that's what is going to happen.
    Firstly this hasn't been a bad season in the play offs for the better part of it is pretty good going and although Gaz does labour the point our budget isn't huge.
    It's too simplistic to blame the lack of threat in front of goal on the front men the supply this season for one reason or another has dropped Banton and in part Mcginn not working out, injuries to JJ PCH and Wood left us with the punt over the top that is beloved by so many on here.
    So if I had my way I would try and get a Scowan or Saunders type to provide that through ball we've missed in addition to a forward maybe from non league and a keeper.
    Of course I could be wrong.

• Spot on mate, keep Harriman, Aaron, Stewart, JJ, beanie, Danny, Luke, ditch the rest ,all useless, maybe keep max to see if he kicks on

• Very good posts. I'm going coward out with who in and out, but who ever we bring needs to be a player/s who don't like given the ball away and that's the entire pitch.

Offer great ball retension (outlets) and service, just to be a bit greedy. Nice pace like a Vardy type of striker to get behind and stretch teams who can recieve balls at feet, mid drift or through balls that's cutting Defenders apart.

• It's fine saying we're "alright" for midfielders, and putting all the blame on the strikers, but it's not like they're getting tonne loads of chances and missing them all.

We create very little. Now of course it could be because the front two are a bit clapped out and don't stretch anyone, but it could very easily as be that we don't create much.

• Use Hayes as the creative midfielder. We know he has the vision to play that role and we still get his work rate, leadership and goals from set pieces. Play two pacey strikers ahead of him. Just a thought.

• @Malone; "We create very little. Now of course it could be because the front two are a bit clapped out and don't stretch anyone, but it could very easily as be that we don't create much."

I'm leaning more towards the latter, in fact I have actually falling over.

• We need a proper league football proven striker (or two) that is where I would spend the money. If there is any.

• Agree with " Wendoverman" the striker situation has gone on now for two seasons now,and we were fortunate last season to have the likes of Scowen ( Part season) Yennaris & Saunders to create. Also Murphy was on fire for the first few months until Scowen went so took the pressure of the forwards. In view of our defensive performances this season was a bit surprised of GA comments regarding the Accrington goal. What about the lack of firepower up front?

• As I recall last season we were something like second top scorers. I don't recall too many people moaning about entertainment quality or lousy forwards then. You get your ups and downs in lg2 football - who knows what 2016/7 will bring.

• @Wendoverman that's easier said than done mate! After all Thompson was supposedly a "proven" league 1 striker, and I can see Ainsworth now quoting Hayes' record.

And who can forget the time we brought in that little pixie Benyon, on a similar "he's proven in league 2" type sentiment?

Much, much easier said than done. And I fear Thompson will massively handicap us with this second year of his deal, for no doubt, not inconsequential money.

• @DevC , it's funny the memory. My first reaction was you were way off with your stat, but on checking the table, you're actually spot on. Wow! Maybe it's the end of the season that dampened my memory, but yea 2nd top scorers last year with 67.