Skip to content

Minutes per goal by player

I got curious about how many minutes each of our players spent on pitch, per goal scored. So, with a bit of googling I found this page: http://hosted.stats.com/engd2/teamstats.asp?team=1169 - and using that, created a new table with minutes played per goal for each player. This is league matches only I think.

Games     Minutes     Goals     Games per Goal     Minutes per Goal  
Jason Banton 5 282 1 5.00 282
Aaron Amadi-Holloway 23 945 3 7.67 315
Max Kretzschmar 18 688 2 9.00 344
Paris Cowan-Hall 5 378 1 5.00 378
Garry Thompson 39 2758 7 5.57 394
Danny Rowe 8 422 1 8.00 422
Michael Harriman 41 3437 7 5.86 491
Luke O'Nien 35 2983 5 7.00 596.6
Paul Hayes 33 2511 4 8.25 627.75
Matt Bloomfield 27 1792 2 13.50 896
Sam Wood 28 2148 2 14.00 1074
Gozie Ugwu 25 1143 1 25.00 1143
Jason McCarthy 31 2764 2 15.50 1382
Aaron Pierre 36 3240 2 18.00 1620
Stephen McGinn 24 1689 1 24.00 1689
Anthony Stewart 23 2070 1 23.00 2070
Joe Jacobson 34 3052 1 34.00 3052
Sido Jombati 30 2522 0
Marcus Bean 26 1981 0
Matt Ingram 24 2153 0
Ryan Allsop 15 1350 0
Ryan Sellers 14 192 0
Rowan Liburd 8 347 0
Jerell Sellars 4 199 0
Jermaine Udumaga 4 59 0
Alex Lynch 3 195 0
Janoi Donacien 2 157 0
Barry Richardson 1 75 0
Totals 42 - 43 0.98

The shocking thing here to me is that of the top 6 performers by this metric, 3 have been shipped out (with one returned injured). It's no surprise then that we can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. Given that we send the players out on the pitch wearing GPS units, you'd assume someone inside the club is capable of using a spreadsheet. Do we really think it's so important for a player to have the right attitude, that we will sacrifice our best chances of scoring because someone's face just doesn't look interested enough?

Comments

• Wow. Thompson and Hayes have had more than 5,000 minutes on the pitch combined - and returned 11 goals. Add in Ugwu, Sellars and Liburd and it's 6,958 minutes for 12 goals. It certainly brings home the enormity of the task facing Gareth Ainsworth as he looks to refresh his squad over the summer.

• The entire team only just has over one goal per game.

• Have you included penalties in these figures? If so the stats are even worse, particularly Thompsons.

• It seems like we've not scored many penalties this season - seeing as we're talking stats does anyone know if it's all in my head, or if we have scored an unusually low number?

• Ugwu's got two goals hasn't he? The one that was originally awarded to Bloomfield and one away at Plymouth.

• Taking Holloway as an example (I presume he is one of your top 6): if his minutes were extrapolated to match those of Hayes and Thompson the results wouldn't be drastically better i.e. Thompson's game time (2750 mins)/Holloways goal per minute ratio (315) = 8.7 goals - we would be 1.7 goals better off if Holloway had played all of Thompson's matches instead of Thompson! Unless my back of an envelope maths is all wrong in case I apologise...

And I think you should exclude Banton and Paris from your analysis based on their extremely limited game time. 5 games or so is not long enough to establish a reliable average.

Goes to show you can prove anything with statistics (or at least try). However I obviously agree with the point you are trying to make. Would be interesting to see how recent seasons compare but that's an awful lot of number crunching.

• As long as Ainsworth can hold onto Pierre, he really doesn't need to focus on signing any more defensive players next season.

McCarthy will almost certainly not be sent on loan here again, he needs to make the step-up to League 1/Championship. However, Jacobson, Pierre, Stewart, and Jombati are one of the most solid defensive back fours in the division.

Especially when Bean sits in front and breaks up play, we have shown through our clean sheet record that we are fairly impenetrable. With Rowe as back-up for RB/CB/DCM, we don't have much to worry about IMO.

That means Ainsworth must focus on creativity and attacking options in this window, otherwise it will be another season of mostly dire football. I don't care if the new signings don't always track back and get stuck in, or if they don't run 15km on the GPS each game.

We've got enough of those types of player already, and they should be doing the hard graft so someone creative doesn't have to.

• We have to factor in when theplayers are used. If it's in the last ten minutes and we're in front, they are not likely to be even trying to score. Comparing 9 ten minute stints with someone playing the whole 90 minutes of one game is also an unfair test.

That said, I find it interesting/concerning that of the top six, five have been used sparingly and/or shipped out of the club.

• they should be doing the hard graft so someone creative doesn't have to.

That's what I tell my staff while stroking my beard and looking thoughtful.

• I'm surprised you let them stroke your beard Dr Congo.

• That's what I pay them for.

• Whatever turns you on! Probably less worrying than Dev's activities on British Rail.

• Blimey, that must have been decades ago!

• What would be a much better table, but probably much harder to get hold of, would be how many chances a player has had, for their goals.

Clearly, if someone has only had 12 chances all season, then 8 goals is a pretty good effort!
    We haven't exactly been creation dons this year, so short of powerplaying goals in from set pieces, and most professional teams can deal with these, I don't know how we think we'd magic goals with the way we play

• @drcongo I'd love to see this updated to cover the whole season, if you ever find the time. And also the stats on win percentages per player if @Uncle_T is able to oblige. Neither will make for pleasant reading but might be a bit more useful for Gareth when making his decisions over the next few days than all those GPS statistics he has...

• Another thing missing from those stats, is assists, of the bench and starts.

Thompson to my knowledge may have not started say 3 games and always came on for 20 minutes, if he didn't start, whereas the younger contingent may have not played for weeks, then given a start and expected to be match fit then benched for a few more, no run in games for them.

Thompson and Hayes had the lion share and hence kept their match sharpness, which the others didn't have that luxury.

Imagine Thommo being sidelined for 2 or 3 games in a row, exactly didn't happen.

• Suspended for three games, wasn't he?

• So did Thommo other than suspension, sidelined longer than one match and not take part as a sub in said match?

I am sure the answer is no.

• @aloysius Luke O'Nien finished the season as the Wycombe player with the highest win rate from matches started (only counting players who were regular starters): 46%. Perhaps more telling, given the way things have gone downhill since January, is that the second best win rate of 45% of starts belongs to Matt Ingram.

Highest win rate from starts from all players, even those who were not regular starters, belongs to Paris Cowan-Hall: 75%. Who knows where in the table we would have finished if PCH had stayed fit.

• Given Allsop's strong performances in a Wycombe shirt I think the Ingram stat might be a coincidence - the problem in the second half of the season has been lack of goals and I don't think (as good a keeper as he is) goals were one of the things that Ingram brought to the team.

We have definitely missed O'Nien's dynamism in the team. There's been a lot of made of Hayes and Thompson's supposed lack of pace up front, but I think we've struggled to get on the ball in midfield without O'Nien. McGinn and Bean are just too slow to play together. For me it's the midfield that has been the weakest link in 2016, although the strikers have obviously failed to fire. I'm looking forward to seeing Rowe and O'Nien playing together next year, but I still think we need a decent quality creative midfielder.

• @Chris regardless of the other point about the midfield, Hayes and Thompson are clearly not a good enough front two partnership

To suggest otherwise is delusional

• I think any striker would have struggled in 2016 given the lack of chances that we create. I'd keep them both for next year, hopefully with another couple of options alongside them - players better than Ugwu or Liburd or Sellars or Kretzchmar but I guess it depends what's available. I don't think either is a bad player, and bring a lot to the side, but unfortunately that hasn't included goals. I'd like to see AAH back but it seems very unlikely.

• I think if we go into next season with those two up front we're in a relegation dogfight

• @chris assuming we sign a creative midfielder, how would you set up the team? The only way I could imagine doing it would be a 4-2-3-1 with Rowe and Bean at the back and your new man, O'Nien and Harriman further forward? I'm not sure that formation gets the best out of Harriman. And who would you play up front? Thompson, Hayes or someone else? And what of Wood?

• It would have to depend on the players available and the opposition.

I'd be happy playing Wood in a 4-4-2 on the left, and he's a very useful guy to have in your squad, but he wouldn't necessarily be first choice. Bean I'm not sure about, he's good at what he does but it's limited.

• I think Rowe and O'Nien should be given the chance to establish themselves as the first choice central midfield pairing, saving the budget for decent strikeforce and, ideally, a new left winger. We have creative midfielders, it's just they're being asked to play box to box while the ball goes sailing over their heads.

• Oh and thanks @Uncle_T, much appreciated. If O'Nien had stayed fit I wonder how this season would've ended. What are the percentages for Hayes and Thompson?

• @chris; regarding Thommo and Hayes. To old. Then again it would be interesting seeing how they cope going several games not starting and getting 15mins when a goal down then see if it's all smiles and graces.

We got Thommo (another year) but time for Hayes to move on. Can't carry two of them. But my hunch is, Hayes will get another a years contract and be given some kind of coaching role.

• I'd be gutted if Hayes leaves.