Skip to content

Max Stryjek Signs

Comments

• edited August 2022

I do hope so, with JJ in his current form he's going to need to be.

• edited August 2022

Speaking of penalties, we haven't won one since 11th December (2-2 v Wimbledon) - 31 league games, 32 in all comps. Might be some kind of record.

• Were we ever awarded a penalty for a foul on Akinfenwa?

• Interestingly in the latest pre game drills vid feature, it seems a new goalkeeper (assuming Bishop) was training with the first team in the week running up to the Burton game and then everything fell through. At which point it looks like we had to go back to square 1.

• There was definitely one v Doncaster in 2019-20 where their defender (Donervon Daniels) actually had to go off injured. JJ pen for 1-0, extremely wet iirc.

• To declare myself a fan of the Islanders would be stretching it - I went to see them play whilst on holiday in New York a few years back, had a good night and bought the t-shirt.

Didn't really have a clue what was going on and one of the locals told me that the punch-ups on the ice were scripted.

• During a visit to a New England sports bar with a US resident relative, he was trying to explain the rules of all the different sports being shown on the (very) many TV's. Ice Hockey he described as WWE on Ice. Seemed about right tbh.

• He's a bit of a lump is Big Max, which I like. Always good to have a few who can hold their hands up if needs be. And we've obviously lost Bayo.

• And Michael Duberry. Couldn't hack Division 1 with us, yet became a major star in Scottish Premier.

• Division 1 ? Crikey, don’t recall us being at that level. And Duberry a major star in the Scottish Premiership? He played 50 or so matches for St Johnstone, I believe, but whether that made him a major star in the Scottish Premiership, I’m not so sure.

• The last fella we signed from Scotland did alright for us and this one looks promising

• I hope he is better than Dickinson, Bishop and every other League 1, Championship, ex-Premier League keeper who the club should have been chasing.

• I’ve watched quite a bit of hockey (ice hockey) although not as much as @Shev and honestly NHL players are fitter and more skilled at their sport than most if not arguably all others.

The basic rules are pretty simple for football fans to understand, the team that scores the most wins and they even have an offside rule.

As for when the guys drop their gloves being scripted, No, the officials manage fighting differently in part due to the culture of the sport and because everyone has a knife edge on their feet.

• I thought the Lee Harrison interview was the best of the bunch yesterday.

Basically, Bishop was so close he was training with us all week ahead of the first game of the season. As others have said, now that we’ve been forced to move on and secure another target, Bishop is the remaining party who can feel really personally aggrieved. Tough for Harrison too as he had Bishop at Southend, so they’re probably considered friends away from football, so to call the situation and move onto another target must have been difficult.

Good to see Man Utd learned from the Henderson saga! They really deserve everything they’re getting at the moment and I’m glad we left a nice dig in there on our Twitter, not that anyone at Old Trafford will notice.

The saddest thing of all is knowing (with almost 100% certainty) that Bishop will now spend the season as a stockpile asset, not getting any meaningful minutes aside from possibly the odd Carabao Cup game, and even then, probably only making the bench as his big moment for the season. What a waste.

• If the suggestions of how much money he's on and other teams who have shown interest and may return for him at some point are true he'll be alright, and will be playing with and against talented players even if it's in one of their their sanitised youth leagues

• It's a great sport to see live. I know two instances of friends and family who hate all sport with a passion, but went nuts for ice hockey.

• @Shev Do you watch much baseball? I've just started reading Moneyball (not sure how I hadn't already) and I had no idea MLB didn't have a salary cap, which caught my interest as the other major leagues all do (not sure about MLS?). Seems like it operates more similarly to football over here.

• I'm sure we will all make our own judgement over the next few weeks and months of the season, as opposed to blindly accepting your fairly damning assessment. Genuine question though, why are you seemingly so convinced that he's going to be terrible? What are you basing that on? Have you seen him play much?

• It’s a brilliant book. And a fair film to tell the truth

• Oh yeah course I won’t cry for him too much, he’s a professional footballer paid handsomely. But anyone with an elite mindset will be keen to challenge themselves at a good level, and playing reserve team games (after having a season in L2) won’t tick that box for him.

However as you say, knowing our luck he’ll probably be loaned to Oxford next week.

• That’s a good analogy. All the money is in baseball, and if you want a good career you need to be playing almost year round by about 12/13.

• The guys in the NFL make a fair few quid too.

Think the MLS pioneered the Beckham rule that means you get a few players at each club earning a fortune to help sell tickets and most of the squad only get a small percentage of that.

• edited August 2022

Yes, it's another sport I much prefer live, as being at the ballpark is always fun. The Rockies almost always suck but are still always popular as the ballpark is beautiful and the area around it in downtown Denver is really humming.

It is the only major sport here with no cap, and though that usually means a big team wins it, you get the odd Kansas City breaking through when the stars align.

@floyd is spot on (as always) - huge contracts are given out, and they are fully guaranteed.

Popularity has dropped off though - there is currently an incredible player for the Angels called Shohei Ohtani who can both hit and pitch at an All Star level, which has only really happened once before in history, with Babe Ruth. 20-30 years ago he would be one of the most recognizable people in the sports world, but baseball players tend to fly under the radar a bit now unless you are actually into the sport. Whereas someone like Tom Brady is instantly recognized even by folks who do not watch the NFL.

• 'A good goalkeeper on his day with a sprinkling of unfortunate blunders.' is how the Livingston fans seem to see it.

That could possibly be the description of most goalies couldn't it?

He's great until the moments he isn't.

• Save for his first and last games for us, I don’t think Stocko had many howlers.

• Wikipedia has him scoring a goal for Accrington so must be good

• True, I think there was an MK Dons away game when he came in for Allsopp where he did not shine...or am I dreaming that?

• Wasn't there a spell when (possibly on loan) he seemed to lose all confidence and conceded quite a few being replaced by Rocky? Or did I make that up