Skip to content

Out of contract players for Wycombe in 2016

Saw a tweet last night re our out of contract players this summer and they are as follows:-

Contracted until summer 2016

Alex Lynch (contracted until 2016)
Luke O'Nien (contracted until 2016)
Matt Bloomfield (contracted until 2016)
Marcus Bean (contracted until 2016)
Max Kretzschmar (contracted until 2016)
Ryan Sellers (contracted until 2016)
Sam Wood (contracted until 2016)
Paul Hayes (contracted until 2016)
Aaron Holloway (contracted until 2016)
Gozie Ugwu (contracted until 2016)

I think its reasonable to expect Sellers will not be kept on given he never plays. Same for Max really, I think for his footballing future he probably needs to move on.

Ugwu for me has not done enough so do not expect him to be retained. I think Holloway wants away so don't expect any future for him here. A fit Hayes is a player we cannot afford to be without so I would hope he can overcome his niggles and sign on for another season. I would love to see Luke sign up again, lots of energy and I feel he will only get better. Bloomfield has had his best season for years, so would not be surprised to see another years contract. That leaves Bean, Lynch and Wood. Bean I would again like to see back but personally for me I feel Wood has had by far his worst season for us and I am not sure if he has just lost that yard of pace which is making a big difference but its a real shame as he was one of our best players last season. That leaves Lynch and I expect we will sign him on again but whether he is number 1 or 2 remains to be seen.

Comments

• Don't be too hasty re Gozie Ugwu.

• just my view on him, does he have enough goals in him that is the question? Not seen it so far but I would love to be proved wrong.

• Another contract offer to Wood would be a waste of money,saying that as soon as he's fit again he'll be in the starting XI ahead of someone who does something in a game unlike Wood.

• As I said just not sure what has happened to Wood this season. We have seen the odd glimpse of the Wood from last season but too often he seems off the pace of the game. He will be 30 this year so in theory still got plenty to give, so lets hope he can recapture the form of last season for the run in.

• Lynch, Bean, O'Nien, Bloomfield and Ugwu are the only ones I would keep. Hayes seems to have too many injuries now and is probably the biggest earner, although he would be difficult to replace.

• Hayes is 32, so should in theory have a year or 2 left in him at league 2 but its been a frustrating season with the injuries but as we saw at Villa Park although he was clearly not fit, we are just such a different side with him in the team. I have no idea if he is carrying the injury still but this I am sure this will have a bearing on any decision Gaz makes.

• I would like to see O'Nien on a new deal before too long.

Personally I would keep all bar Ugwu, Holloway and Max. And I'm fact I think you could make a case for one of those three to stay. Probably Ugwu. Holloway seems to be struggling to find my kind of consistency and I agree Max needs to move on to progress his career.

• I'd definitely keep O'Nien if he wants to stay. Of the others it depends on salary demands, fitness and who else is available but I'd like to keep Wood, Bloomfield, Bean, Hayes, Lynch and one of Ugwu and Holloway depending on the rest of the season.

• Given that Thompson is contracted for another year and will be on a big salary I would, with regret, let Paul Hayes move on. I'm not sure we can afford both their wages for another season, they don't play brilliantly together and they'll be even slower / more injury prone next year. If there was a choice, I'd keep Hayes over Thompson in a shot, but that doesn't look feasible.

O'Nien is a no-brainer - he's future captain material if he chooses to stay (I really hope the reason he hasn't already signed a contract extension is because he expects to be at a bigger club in the summer). Bean will be expensive but worth it. Bloomfield probably less expensive and good squad filler. There is almost zero chance of Sam Wood not being offered a new contract, though I'm not sure I would myself after this season. The rest are all cheap - but I'd only keep Lynch. I doubt Holloway has any intention of staying a day longer than he needs to - which is a shame as I'd love to see the side built around him for years to come.

• The only ones id release are Max, Sellers and one of Ugwu or Holloway depending on how the rest of the season goes. Onien deserves a long term (2 years+) for his efforts this season as he is clearly a really excellent young talent and always gives his all. Standard one year contract extensions to everyone else.

• O'nien and Bean certainly, Hayes on reduced terms/player coach, wait till the end of the season to see if Bloomers continues his 'Indian Summer'. Max and Sellers, i think will find it difficult to find a FL contract anywhere come July, Holloway wont be here either way. The rest will need to perform consistently well between now and the end of the season to warrant a contract extension.

• edited February 2016

Very early to be discussing contracts. Think about what we would have said about Holloway this time last season? Max could yet go on to have a few decent games, and with him, Sellers and Lynch probably not on a great deal of money, I can see Gareth keeping them around the squad at least in a filler capacity for next season.

Hayes I imagine will stay, as will Wood despite this season perhaps not being his best thus far, he's got experience and is probably a good character to have around the squad. Ugwu needs a strong second half to the season. Bean if he comes back from injury in the same form he started the season, then wouldn't be surprised to see him get another year. By the sounds of things O'Nien will have options from bigger clubs, I imagine we've probably offered new terms but that's the reason he might be stalling (I could be wrong).

Blooms in a player/coach capacity probably. I reckon Howard may see him as a potential successor to Ainsworth if he was to eventually move up the leagues, so he'd want to keep him around at least in some capacity.

As for Holloway, if fit and confident I really think he's a real cut above this level, but this season unfortunately we just don't seem to be getting that out of him, although he hasn't really had the chances. Would like to see him given a real run in the side, and even if he didn't perform then I'd still personally offer him a deal, but the ball is very much in his court and whether he wants to stay.

• Way to early to be thinking about this. I could give a case for all staying to be honest but you do need some churn. 6 months is such a long time.
    What will go along way to determine this will be where in the plan wages start to allow us an increase in squad size.

• Maybe O'Nein has a clause in his contract like Holloway did last year that the club can trigger at the end of the season

• Well according to this story Hayes wants a new contract (not surprising really)

http://www.getbucks.co.uk/sport/football/news/wycombe-striker-wants-finish-career-10826552

• I for one really hope Hayesy stays - an experienced, skilful striker who is clearly an important member, and most importantly leader in our squad. I have loved watching him play in a Wycombe shirt and I think if he can shake off the niggles he has another year or two left in him yet; he may not have the pace but he still has the brain to play L2 football

• Sellers deserves an extension. He hasn't been given a proper opportunity yet. I think Ainsworth sees him and Danny Rowe as decent prospects for the future.

• Not sure how they are going to improve though Gary, when at best they are only sitting on the bench?

• With a squad the size of ours they'll get a run out before the end of the season.

• Hmmmm. A run-out. Not much of a basis to assess justification for retention. Surely a loan, at least in Sellers' case, to somewhere like Maidenhead would be more in their interests. Talking of Maidenhead, I really do hope we have run the rule over Dave Tarpey.

• edited February 2016

It'd be unlikely we haven't watched him a few times, especially as they play plenty of midweekers.

Always have to appreciate it's a fair step up, and we need players who can not only exist at league 2, but benefit the team.#

On the contracts side of things, lots of Ainsworth's signings make sense, "riskier" type Banton deals on a year, or even less for others, but the Rowe one is a headscratcher.

Did something change, be it Stewart becoming available, or was he always a "One for the future/cover" type? The centre back loans of that dreadful Villa chap, and the quality McCarthy suggest we didn't really fancy Rowe there for an extended run, and full backs look sewn up for ages.
    Maybe O Nien's emergence was unexpected, and he was going to get a run there?

Otherwise, he's barely featured in 3/4 of a season, after barely featuring on loan last season. Must be missing something, as otherwise a 3 year deal seems huge.

• Rowe has some great banter.