Skip to content

Ipswich game postponed

13»

Comments

• @LX1 said:
    Would be bad if Stewart left. Disappointing also after we took him back

Am sure Stewart will know more than anyone that the grass isn't always greener.
    But if it was his last chance at a "big" move, or at least a higher division move let's say, we've shown we don't stand in the way.

Don't think for a moment it's that though.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    Alfie Mawson. How good was he that season? An absolute pleasure to watch him player. He was always going to leave though, and it was at the end of the season. Stewart leaving this week would be a massive kick in the teeth and would probably make me cry too.

Relax son, he's not leaving.

You seem to have a lot of sons, were you by any chance a hippy in the 60's!

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    Alfie Mawson. How good was he that season? An absolute pleasure to watch him player. He was always going to leave though, and it was at the end of the season. Stewart leaving this week would be a massive kick in the teeth and would probably make me cry too.

Relax son, he's not leaving.

You seem to have a lot of sons, were you by any chance a hippy in the 60's!

It's an affectionate gesture down here bossman.
    Pal is an interesting one. Northerners take it in the same way, but call the wrong person pal downhearted and you have a problemo.

• After moaning about the 5 international breaks being home games, I’ve just realised Sunderland at home is on FA Cup Rd 3 weekend... FFS

• Brilliant!! I was going to have to miss out anyway (and the other reasons of course!).

• @glasshalffull Countless clubs may have postponed. I don't know as much about their circumstances as I know about Wycombe's, or about the impact of the decision on their clubs. And frankly, I'm not that interested.

Saying "our business is football" is overly simplistic, isn't it? It's professional football, relying on people wanting to come and watch. It's not much of a business if people don't come to watch and buy their burgers and beers. I am concerned that this decision, and any similar decisions to follow for the other three international breaks, might serve to alienate people who would otherwise come and watch - bad for business. We'd have had a cracking crowd on Saturday and the opportunity to impress them on a day when the top 2 divisions aren't playing. Now we'll find ourselves with a much smaller crowd on a Tuesday night, in competition with god knows what other football - live and on TV.

And moreover, we don't know what the football impact of this decision will be. There seems to be an assumption that we'll have a fully fit squad for the rescheduled game. I literally can't recall the last time we have a fully fit squad to choose from. @Twizz seems to me to have put his finger on the right question in that respect (though he comes to a different conclusion): what is the relative strength of the two teams now and what will it be when we play on that unknown Tuesday? Of course we can only guess, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't tilted towards the tractor boys by then.

• Would be great if we could get this rearranged for 5th October and have three home games in eight days.

• Some people seem very upset about this new 'international break' thing that has just been invented and never happened before. Something should be done.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Would be great if we could get this rearranged for 5th October and have three home games in eight days.

But what will we do about the Papa John’s trophy match against MK Dons?!! Heaven forbid

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Would be great if we could get this rearranged for 5th October and have three home games in eight days.

But what will we do about the Papa John’s trophy match against MK Dons?!! Heaven forbid

We've got enough players now to send a separate squad to the other game, haven't we?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

We've got enough players now to send a separate squad to the other game, haven't we?

JJ would still somehow start both games

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

JJ would still somehow start both games

Keep his left foot and send the rest of him to MK and we'll be fine

• @our_frank, for clarity I think we should be playing Ipswich this Saturday IF the only absentees are Horgan, Mehmeti and DeBarr - because our remaining squad is strong enough to cope. That's why we have the other players in the squad!
    However since I have no way to know about the availability of Stewart, Freeman, McCarthy & McCleary I can do nothing else but trust GA & Dobbo to make the right call.

Like yourself, though, I have the fear that we'll end up playing Ipswich on a damp and cold Tuesday in front of a dismal 5500 crowd in 6/8 weeks with some players still missing due to injuries.
    Who knows if we'll win that game? It can't be any more certain than playing them now.

• Just for reference, the bookies odds has us 6/5 favourites and Ipswich a massive 9/4. Be interesting to see what the odds are come the rearranged fixture.

• I am glad the majority of posters agree that seeking the postponement of the Ipswich game was absolutely the right decision. There is a dangerous assumption that if the game had gone ahead on Saturday, an under strength Wycombe would have beaten a full strength Ipswich. Of the three players called up for international duty, two started against Sunderland and one came on as a sub. In addition we were missing Stewart, McCleary, McCarthy, Gape and Freeman, that’s a total of eight players who would/might have been unavailable this Saturday. Why take that risk? Why not make use of a rule that is in place to avoid such a situation? Sunderland, with vastly superior resources to Wycombe, used the rule to seek the postponement of their game against Sheffield Wednesday.
    I am glad that we have owners who prioritise football matters over a short term financial gain.

• @JohnBoy said:
    Just for reference, the bookies odds has us 6/5 favourites and Ipswich a massive 9/4. Be interesting to see what the odds are come the rearranged fixture.

Massively in our favour. By then we will have all our players back, new signings bedded in and will be looking at extending our 12 point lead at the top of the table.

• The best reason for postponing the game is just that it’s funny. I can remember us moaning last time when Ipswich did the same to us in the middle of October so I would imagine their fans must be less than ecstatic

• @bookertease said:
    The best reason for postponing the game is just that it’s funny. I can remember us moaning last time when Ipswich did the same to us in the middle of October so I would imagine their fans must be less than ecstatic

Looking at their message board, the overwhelming reaction was relief.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/516808/wycombe-postponed/#22

• Looks like all their fans agree with those of us that know nothing

• I'd be amazed if Stewart left today, there's not even been a hint of a rumour about him, apart from a couple of Wycombe fans with a reputation for having little common sense putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 (and some social media attention, which I expect is the point of making this sort of stuff up)

We'd surely demand a silly fee, and Stewart has already had his fingers burnt leaving us, unless there's a huge contact and a guaranteed starting spot somewhere in the champ, I just can't see it happening.

• @Username said:
    I'd be amazed if Stewart left today, there's not even been a hint of a rumour about him, apart from a couple of Wycombe fans with a reputation for having little common sense putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 (and some social media attention, which I expect is the point of making this sort of stuff up)

We'd surely demand a silly fee, and Stewart has already had his fingers burnt leaving us, unless there's a huge contact and a guaranteed starting spot somewhere in the champ, I just can't see it happening.

Yeah i'm not sure I get the logic.

As if any team would have been watching him play well last year, see us relegated, but for some reason want to see him play in league 1 again for a few games, before then waiting until the last day before swooping?!

• As far as I can tell wading through the posts...with no real evidence put forward, Stewart is leaving and Mehmeti is being suspended. Yet no-one suspected Alex and Scott would be going. :smile:

• @bookertease
    I think plenty of people did moan about Ipswich calling the game off with us last time around.
    Eg - Presumably @Malone thinks 'means testing' should only apply to other teams?
    @Malone said:

They surely have to means test this rule. Surely the players missing should have to have actually made a decent contribution to the side?

>

• @Doob said:
    @bookertease
    I think plenty of people did moan about Ipswich calling the game off with us last time around.
    Eg - Presumably @Malone thinks 'means testing' should only apply to other teams?
    @Malone said:

They surely have to means test this rule. Surely the players missing should have to have actually made a decent contribution to the side?

>

Didn't they have 3 internationals, with only one who had even made the bench once?

We have 2 regulars and a regular bench player who has already been decisive in a cup game.