Skip to content

Best fictional tv football

2»

Comments

• Murphys mob was wonderful . Watching it after coming from school munching on a bag of cheesy footballs .
    Happy times

• How did i forget Renford Rejects? That's what summer holidays in the late 90s/early 2000s were for!

Some of the jokes in the Mike Bassett movie must have from those in the know...

• @PhilSlatter said:
    The series Mike Basset: Manager was good fun. Wycombe featured heavily as they filmed it at the training ground and used Adams Park for all the away matches (Griffin Park for the home games).
    In the series itself Wycombe managed a 2-0 victory over Wirral County in a game which saw Basset and the team chased out of AP by the travelling fans but we were beaten 2-1 in the return fixture.

Brilliant series. I think I recall that the team's shirt sponsors were "Wirral Rubbish".

• Strictly speaking not fictional but "The World Cup: A Captain's Tale" is well worth a watch. The 1982 film drama tells the true story of how West Auckland Town became the first "World Cup Winners", winning the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy in 1909 and 1911. You can find it on YouTube.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@PhilSlatter said:
    The series Mike Basset: Manager was good fun. Wycombe featured heavily as they filmed it at the training ground and used Adams Park for all the away matches (Griffin Park for the home games).
    In the series itself Wycombe managed a 2-0 victory over Wirral County in a game which saw Basset and the team chased out of AP by the travelling fans but we were beaten 2-1 in the return fixture.

The film is amazing, if you write out the squad on the back of a fag packet you will end up calling up Benson and Hedges. If anything it's too close to the Graham Taylor England setup for comfort. Didn't see any of the series though.

I liked the bit where Mike found all the messages from Ron Greenwood asking the FA if could drop Mick Channon.

• No contest:

• @TwinBrother said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@PhilSlatter said:

The film is amazing, if you write out the squad on the back of a fag packet you will end up calling up Benson and Hedges. If anything it's too close to the Graham Taylor England setup for comfort. Didn't see any of the series though.

I liked the bit where Mike found all the messages from Ron Greenwood asking the FA if could drop Mick Channon.

Err..OK! If he's happy with that.

• Murphy’s Mob for me. Great theme tune and I would accept Mac Murphy as Wycombe manager anytime.

I too expected Ted Lasso to be atrocious but really enjoyed it. Only thing that didn’t ring true was that very plush pub being filled with sweary supporters all sporting extremely clean scarves.

• Playing the field

• @arnos_grove said:
    Murphy’s Mob for me. Great theme tune and I would accept Mac Murphy as Wycombe manager anytime.

I too expected Ted Lasso to be atrocious but really enjoyed it. Only thing that didn’t ring true was that very plush pub being filled with sweary supporters all sporting extremely clean scarves.

Mac Murphy's biggest achievement was bagging Linda Bellingham as his wife.

• @eric_plant said:
    Gregory's Girl

I did enjoy Jossie's Giants though. Football's just a branch of science

In the earlier days of Twitter I had a private message exchange with Graeme Swann who was also a big JG fan. He was insistent it was set in Newcastle whereas I knew it was set in Manchester. We agreed to disagree. Some years later I let my frustrations with the England cricket team’s performance in the Ashes get the better of me and scolded them in a public tweet. GS then blocked me. Serves me right. They were awful though.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@PhilSlatter said:

I stumbled across the series on YouTube and couldn't believe I hadn't seen it or heard about it.

Was a great watch and like the film it had loads of funny stuff in it.

• I'm going to have to have a look now as well, seen the film but not the series