Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• Agree @arnos_grove although there were some close games and injuries did play a part I thought with a few exceptions most other teams were faster than us, did not stop and wait for refereeing decisions that did not come and had better anticipation. I thought Blackburn was the first game in which WE were cutting out passes in the midfield. We have come on leaps and bounds and I don't feel that is simply down to formation. We are playing with more attacking abandon now, because...why not? After the first seven games and some of the defeats, to be still in with a shout at this stage is great fun.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Anyone else noticed from reading fan forums that NO manager in the EFL actually has a Plan B...and every single one needs to be sacked and replaced by someone who has?
    The man, woman or child who manages to develop one will never be out of a job in football.

From the Rotherham fans forum..

“Whatever happens at the end of the season..warney needs to step aside and we need a manager with a plan b...absolutely pathetic from the management and players today”

If anyone comes up with the elusive plan b they are set for life

• Plan B is one of those football cliches like ‘tactically naive’ and ‘lost the dressing room’ that are much loved by keyboard warriors and radio phone in ‘experts’.

• Although I didn't hear the full interview, I loved Russel Martin's views on 'plan B' the other week. Hit the nail on the head for me. Every manager will have their own favoured way of playing, which they will tweak and make small alterations to from time to time. To completely change an approach (and coaching of players) however, is an acceptance of failure and something most managers will not contemplate.

• Even if you have got a Plan B, what if the other manager deploys his Plan B too? Do you need a Plan C just in case?

• I'm no expert in football management recruitment but can I suggest that moving forwards 'Have you got a Plan B?' has to be one of the most important questions that an interview panel should ask?

• ‘Have you ever, knowingly or unknowingly, literally or metaphorically, lost a dressing room? Or have you been accused of doing so by a poster on an internet message board who three weeks previously described you as a insert club name here legend’?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm no expert in football management recruitment but can I suggest that moving forwards 'Have you got a Plan B?' has to be one of the most important questions that an interview panel should ask?

I’d turn up to the interview with a briefcase containing my CV, a sandwich, an apple, a flask, and a folder marked plan B that I wouldn’t mention I’d just make sure the chairman saw it.

• Interview

Q) Do you have a plan B?

A) Yes mate, this is it, Plan A was Man Utd

• Didn’t we quite literally ‘lose the dressing room’ at an early away game this season? Or did we get lost going from the temporary dressing room to the pitch?

• edited April 2021

@MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I'm no expert in football management recruitment but can I suggest that moving forwards 'Have you got a Plan B?' has to be one of the most important questions that an interview panel should ask?

I’d turn up to the interview with a briefcase containing my CV, a sandwich, an apple, a flask, and a folder marked plan B that I wouldn’t mention I’d just make sure the chairman saw it.

Gawd, @Morris_Ital I hope Gareth isn't reading this...or @davecz will be able to start his engine and set the satnav for Blackburn. :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:

Gawd, @Morris_Ital I hope Gareth isn't reading this...or @davecz will be able to start his engine and set the satnav for Blackburn. :smile:

Our only hope is that Gareth doesn’t own a flask or a briefcase

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:

Our only hope is that Gareth doesn’t own a flask or a briefcase

Engine started. Flask and sandwiches packed. Just waiting for GA to arrive.Then we are on our way??

• edited April 2021

@RITM - Luton, wasn’t it? Phil C likened the complexity of navigating the inner corridors behind their main stand to the scene from “This is Spinal Tap”

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @RITM - Luton, wasn’t it? Phil C likened the complexity of navigating the inner corridors behind their main stand to the scene from “This is Spinal Tap”

That was a Catchpole Classic.

• On which subject, I really enjoyed his, "The pubs open soon" on Saturday, immediately after his Super Simon Garner chat.

Oh, how we missed him all those months.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Plan B is one of those football cliches like ‘tactically naive’ and ‘lost the dressing room’ that are much loved by keyboard warriors and radio phone in ‘experts’.

I believe one of the few times I think you can say that the manager had 'lost the dressing' was under Smith and the players seemingly 'downing tools' in the away game to Peterborough.
    I'm sure they were pretty certain if they did bad enough that day he would be gone.

• Wycombe fans spent more or less the entire game singing "we want Smith out" that day and Terry Evans made a real point of coming over to applaud us at the end

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Plan B is one of those football cliches like ‘tactically naive’ and ‘lost the dressing room’ that are much loved by keyboard warriors and radio phone in ‘experts’.

I believe one of the few times I think you can say that the manager had 'lost the dressing' was under Smith and the players seemingly 'downing tools' in the away game to Peterborough.
    I'm sure they were pretty certain if they did bad enough that day he would be gone.

That was one of the oddest games I can recall. It seemed to everyone that there that the Wycombe players had almost gone on strike in the second half.

In a similar vein I was at Walsall away during the Smith era. At half time Simon Garner emerged from the tunnel on his own about half way through the break. He stood alone just off the pitch and I assumed he had been subbed. Someone asked him something and he responded 'I ain't listening to that shit'. What a legend that man was.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

That was one of the oddest games I can recall. It seemed to everyone that there that the Wycombe players had almost gone on strike in the second half.

Yeah, a surreal 45 minutes however I think we all knew why and were happy they were doing it.
    Never before or since have I seen so many smiling faces when the opposition score

Really was a case of 'short-term pain for long-term gain'

• I’m not sure Sanchez had the dressing room totally on board towards the end of his reign (rein).

• @eric_plant said:
    Wycombe fans spent more or less the entire game singing "we want Smith out" that day and Terry Evans made a real point of coming over to applaud us at the end

I can safely say that’s the only game in which I was delighted to see us get battered. The atmosphere was pure poison and I remember Big Tel making that very obvious point.

You could get a right old noise going in that away end too. Very similar to the old away end at Rotherham in that respect.

• I’d one day like to revisit the managers programme notes from Smiths tenure. I seem to remember he started with a bunker mentality and just kept digging.

• I’ve got them all of you want them?!

• I could do a double pack of woe by throwing in the Adams years too!

• My favourite ever programme notes was away at Stockport when Jim Gannon just wrote about his personal dispute with Sky.

• I always enjoyed an O’Neill repost to an over-excited BFP reader.

• The early Adams Park programmes are works of art. Brilliant design, full of good content, MO’Ns managers notes and John Goldsworthy’s random and occasionally surreal, ramblings.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I always enjoyed an O’Neill repost to an over-excited BFP reader.

I received a riposte after referring (in a letter to the BFP) to an allegation that several players had been clubbing in Bournemouth the night before a game at Dean Court which we lost.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I could do a double pack of woe by throwing in the Adams years too!

Thanks we’ll have to sort something out when we get back to games