Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• I'd try and keep him in-house one way or another. Is there a bigger personality in football? I doubt it. Let him be a brand ambassador for all I care, but keep him associated with the club!

• You’d have to be bonkers to be happy to see Bayo leave.

• don't be daft @micra . Reading the weather thread back after the match was only bettered by the game itself.

• @Shev said:
    I'd try and keep him in-house one way or another. Is there a bigger personality in football? I doubt it. Let him be a brand ambassador for all I care, but keep him associated with the club!

I have been saying this for a long time. If we can afford to keep him on the wage bill as a part time ambassador I think he would be great for meeting sponsors, touring the lounges pre-match etc. I also think he still has plenty to offer as a player and mentor to our U23 boys.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @arnos_grove said:
    A joyous afternoon soured only by the direction of the wind and sun ?

League 2 standard weather at best

• You wouldn’t want that weather every week.

• Best quote off the Rotherham forum: "If we are relegated we will be watching that every week."

• @glasshalffull said:

@Shev said:
    I'd try and keep him in-house one way or another. Is there a bigger personality in football? I doubt it. Let him be a brand ambassador for all I care, but keep him associated with the club!

I have been saying this for a long time. If we can afford to keep him on the wage bill as a part time ambassador I think he would be great for meeting sponsors, touring the lounges pre-match etc. I also think he still has plenty to offer as a player and mentor to our U23 boys.

Totally agree , ambassador, meet and greeter, mentor to the younger players but I have to disagree , unfortunately his time as a player is over even in League 1.

• Paul Warne seems far too relaxed and affable to be a football manager:

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2021/april/post-match--warne-post-wycombe/

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@Shev said:

Totally agree , ambassador, meet and greeter, mentor to the younger players but I have to disagree , unfortunately his time as a player is over even in League 1.

Cancel culture eh.

onemoreyearforBayo

• @PBo said:
    Paul Warne seems far too relaxed and affable to be a football manager:

Mellow Norwich accent that

• Paul Warne seems like a decent chap to me. There is a lot to like about Rotherham (he says in a burst of patronizing magnanimity after seeing Wycombe win 3-0).

• @Shev said:
    Paul Warne seems like a decent chap to me. There is a lot to like about Rotherham (he says in a burst of patronizing magnanimity after seeing Wycombe win 3-0).

I have him in the group of managers like Gaz that are decent human-beings, accept when they have got things wrong / players been poor, praise opposition when deserved and generally do better than the resources afforded to them.

I think we all know which managers (plus the odd journo) are in the other general (polar opposite) camp

• Anyone else noticed from reading fan forums that NO manager in the EFL actually has a Plan B...and every single one needs to be sacked and replaced by someone who has?
    The man, woman or child who manages to develop one will never be out of a job in football.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Anyone else noticed from reading fan forums that NO manager in the EFL actually has a Plan B...and every single one needs to be sacked and replaced by someone who has?
    The man, woman or child who manages to develop one will never be out of a job in football.

Spot on! I was amazed to see Rotherham fans saying "get out of our club" with regards to Warne. I have not exactly followed their fortunes, but surely two promotions to the second tier on a lower budget is not exactly sackable? Mind you, there are Wycombe fans who think GA should be sacked for losing to teams with ten times the wage bill, so what do I know?

• @PBo said:
    Paul Warne seems far too relaxed and affable to be a football manager:

Wow, what a decent and honest guy. No place in football along with the Ainsworths of this world. Give me a delusional manager who has a team that is entitled to win every game and when they don't it is everyone else's fault but their own any day of the week.

• Hi all u Chairboys fans, I had to say something regarding Monday's game, but before that, I'd like to say how much I've admired the spirit of your players this season. You, along with ourselves and Cov deserved promotion, despite anything that gobshite chairman of Posh spouted, and following your matches, so much reminds me of us, with the 'against the World' mentality, and isn't it a great feeling to put one over some of the more established teams ???? We're a yo-yo club, always will be, and the dulcet tones of our chairman pre season, uttering the words 'competative budget', like a well worn mantra, never fails to dishearten me, but that Tuesday night a few seasons ago, when we achieved safety, and hearing 8000+ voices singing 'fuck the football league', warmed my cockles up no end ? It was always 'little old Rotherham', and after a while it starts to grate, expecting us to roll over when the big boys come to town, but teams like us, whilst we might not have the quality players, we make up with it with heart, and I'll always admire that quality, plus the fact that of the games you've lost this season, how many were settled by the odd goal, not a sound thrashing ? Now maybe we both may go back down come May, but once you've had a taste of Championship football, you want it again, believe me friends, and I really hope Chairboys can do it again, like us ? On a different note, I visited Adams Park for a league 2 game, and i bought what turned out to be the best pasty I've ever had, and I've visited many many grounds over the years, it blitzed every pasty I've ever had in the south west, top food ! And on a final note, Adebayo Akinfenwa, by far the biggest footballer I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, I had to get the beast's autograph, and what a gentleman he is, unlike some of the arrogant twats I've come across ? He'll be missed when he hangs up his boots, and not just by Wycombe Wanderers ! So here's to a hopefully barnstorming end of the season, let's go out with a boom, not a bang ?? Respect...........Ian RUFC

• Bloody hell, i forgot Monday's game ?? Your lads deserved that win, even tho some of our players weren't at the races, I'm taking nothing away from Wycombe's performance, it was your game folks, well done ?

Respect............Ian RUFC

• Cheers @Dustymiller51 - always nice when an opposition fan with a good attitude comes on the forum. There are some definite similarities between our clubs, and we have both been chipping away at the same rockface this season. Your club seems well run overall, and though yo-yoing is easier said than done, you seem to be the one club capable of achieving it lately. Hopefully we can both bounce back up, should relegation follow.

• Shame Birmingham managed to get a point at Brentford tonight, which puts them 9 points + superior goal difference ahead of us.

In better news, Norwich are currently 7-0 up against Huddersfield with 10 minutes to play, so hopefully we won't have the worst result of the season in this division.

• Thanks @Dustymiller51 I’ll have to revisit our pasty offering the last one I had was okay but nothing exceptional although under the new owners things are supposedly changing. Our beer however now the club has linked up with a local brewery is a pre match highlight.

• Sort of relevant to this thread - Despite @Malone’s impression of me as a bit of a statto (recent post re Anthony Stewart, I think) I’m not too strong on statistics - certainly not on the same planet in that respect as @chairboyscentral - but, whilst browsing the net this morning to see how many consecutive games we lost at the start of the season (7 I think) and wondering if we could book end it with 7 consecutive wins, I came across a table showing the last five results of each Championship club. The fact that only Norwich, Watford and Millwall had gained more points than Wycombe over that period seems extraordinary. A magnificent achievement. No sign of the fat lady yet.

• Yes, we have averaged exactly a point per game since those first 7, despite Covid, major injuries, and egregious referee decisions. Not bad at all!

• edited April 2021

@micra said:
    Sort of relevant to this thread - Despite @Malone’s impression of me as a bit of a statto (recent post re Anthony Stewart, I think) I’m not too strong on statistics - certainly not on the same planet in that respect as @chairboyscentral - but, whilst browsing the net this morning to see how many consecutive games we lost at the start of the season (7 I think) and wondering if we could book end it with 7 consecutive wins, I came across a table showing the last five results of each Championship club. The fact that only Norwich, Watford and Millwall had gained more points than Wycombe over that period seems extraordinary. A magnificent achievement. No sign of the fat lady yet.

We have to concede that she is at least thoroughly warmed-up, even if she ends up doing a Freeman.

• Is anyone else a bit frustrated we've left it so late? The international break was clearly perfect for giving us time to work out a new system which has worked so well in the last 2 matches, but it's a tad annoying we pushed on with something that clearly wasn't working for a while.

It would be an incredible tale if we, somehow, manage enough wins in the next 6 or so games to keep us up, but if we only mis-out by a touch, then inspid displays against Birmingham and Sheff Weds surely make it all more irritating.

• @drcongo said:
    It Muskwe love.

As soon as I wake up
    Every night, every day
    I know that it's you who'll score
    The goals for Blues away

• @YorkExile said:

@drcongo said:
    It Muskwe love.

As soon as I wake up
    Every night, every day
    I know that it's you who'll score
    The goals for Blues away

Excellent, plus instead of 'away', 'today' will scan if we are playing at home.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Is anyone else a bit frustrated we've left it so late? The international break was clearly perfect for giving us time to work out a new system which has worked so well in the last 2 matches, but it's a tad annoying we pushed on with something that clearly wasn't working for a while.

It would be an incredible tale if we, somehow, manage enough wins in the next 6 or so games to keep us up, but if we only mis-out by a touch, then inspid displays against Birmingham and Sheff Weds surely make it all more irritating.

It's tempting to go down that avenue but the situation you're in at any given time will inform your approach. If we were closer to safety we might have carried on playing safe and not developed the (currently) successful and more offensive way of playing. After 46 games the table doesn't lie and for most of the players (and management) this season has been uncharted territory from which they're bound to learn.

Some will claim those two games killed us. Others will go down the refereeing decisions route. Personally I'm glad we're still musing on these matters rather than having already given up due to relegation.

• Yep, we've got all summer to think about the 'what-ifs.' Right no we're doing better than anyone thought we would be a month ago, let's enjoy it while it lasts.