Skip to content

Teams supported in other sports

Comments

• I supported the LA Rams as a nipper as I played TV Sports Football a lot ok the Amiga and they were the team I first picked. It’s been the Indianapolis Colts for a few years now as a good friend is a supporter and sends me the gossip and results week to week when the season is on.

Likewise I’m a Houston Rockets fan as they were my team on NBA Jam. I ended up buying the 4 player arcade of that one in the end!

I do like a bit of F1 on a Sunday afternoon, but just like to see some good racing.

I don’t really follow any other teams and have given up on international football. It’s been quite liberating not getting cross every two years!

• If we are talking footie teams from other countries as well

Scotland - Aberdeen
    Spain - Mallorca
    Germany - Borussia monchengladbach
    France - St Etienne
    Italy - Lazio

• @Manboobs - there can be few crazier sports stories than a massive earthquake hitting right before a world series game involving both Bay Area teams! I believe the timing saved a lot of lives too, as far less people were on the collapsing freeways owing to the game being imminent.

• @Shev said:
    @Manboobs - there can be few crazier sports stories than a massive earthquake hitting right before a world series game involving both Bay Area teams! I believe the timing saved a lot of lives too, as far less people were on the collapsing freeways owing to the game being imminent.

Yes I recall hearing that. It was grimly fascinating as the commentators stayed as calm as they could and described the scene until they were told to leave.

• It’s an awful story but this is one that has always stuck with me https://www.independent.co.uk/news/lightning-kills-entire-football-team-1181336.html

• I wouldn’t really consider myself a fully-fledged supporter of either of these sides, it’s more the case that I occasionally check their results, but:

Ice hockey: Montreal Canadiens, I lived near Montreal for a few months ages ago, so obviously it’s difficult to avoid the national sport. I only saw one live game (I was a poor student at the time and I think tickets are/were pretty pricey) but used to watch plenty of televised games.

I do dislike some of the cheese factor and razzle-dazzle of North American sports in general as well as their being structured around TV ad breaks, but the pace and skill on show in ice hockey is impressive.

American Football - Baltimore Ravens

People who are old enough will remember a time when Channel 4 hyped up American football in the U.K. I never really got into it at that point but like someone else said, I remember liking the Raiders because of their team kit and badge. That may be a crap reason to like a team but I was very small at the time, so...

Anyway, fast forward a few years and I worked for a company with its head office in Baltimore, plenty of whom were Ravens fans.

I was a fairweather follower when they won the Super Bowl back in 2013, and it was a pretty epic ride with twists and turns that could almost have been scriptwritten, e.g. brother v brother facing off in the final as coaches.

I’ve been to Baltimore a few times and it’s impressive to see how the city gets behind the team at significant times, e.g play-off campaigns or when they reach the Super Bowl. Banners everywhere, buildings lit up purple etc.

I haven’t lived in Wycombe for a long time now but I suspect that WWFC get a fraction of the love even when there’s something like a play-off campaign to shout about. Still, maybe it’s hypocritical to whine about razzle-dazzle in one place then bemoan the lack of it elsewhere?

As a sport there’s an absolute ton of things all going on at once in terms of the complexity of the plays. I’ve only ever seen one live game of American football which was one of the early Wembley games (Patriots v Jaguars, not a great game as it was very one-sided).

I had crap seats which probably didn’t help, but I found you miss a lot of the detail when watching live, I’d almost prefer to watch on TV from that perspective.

I don’t expect the Wembley games are authentic in terms of atmosphere though, it’s very odd just to have loads of fans of different teams all show up just because they like the sport, not necessarily the teams that are playing - so you totally lose the partisan aspect of it, which I don’t think is a good thing.

• @mwite said:
    My first ever posting to Gasroom 2!. I worked for a bank based in San Antonio so my only US team are the Spurs (NBA). When I was a young boy supporting Wycombe you always had a 'big team's as well. Mine is Manchester United, I stood out amongst the Arsenal, Chelsea fans etc. I also tried to have a team in every division, can't remember them now. I always had a soft spot for Brechin City, always seemed to be bottom!
    Cricket - Middlesex, RL Wigan, not sure of any others - my son in law has sometimes got me into the hospitality area at Real Madrid - that's great experience. Hope the Couhigs manage something similar at Wycombe one day!

Crikey @mwite, 5 visits/first post in four and a half years. That really is minimalist!

• Football Other - Spurs, Maidstone, Wealdstone.

Cricket - Kent & England.

Golf - Europe Ryder Cup Team

Tennis - GB Davis Cup Team

Curling - Rhona Martin & Team (2002)
    Shirley Temple

• I genuinely didn’t think ANYONE was interested in the Davis Cup outside of the sports reporters on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

You learn something new every day!

• I was only half serious there @arnos_grove as you probably gathered.
    I enjoy watching tennis and really missed the Wimbledon fortnight last year (not sure what the position is this year) and, to a lesser extent, televised golf but, in mentioning the Davis and Ryder Cups, I was simply following the spirit of the thread title. I dredged up a couple of “teams” to make it look as if my sporting interests are rather more diverse than they actually are. Over the decades, I doubt whether I have watched more than half a dozen Davis Cup games. The Ryder Cup is a different kettle of fish (predictive offered ‘fruit’ there, which I rather liked) and I usually follow it pretty closely.

• I love Wimbledon fortnight. The more I can watch the better and if I can go and watch live it is probably the sporting highlight of the year. Very hard to get tickets, won a couple in the ballot a few times a few years ago. Henman v Sampras semifinal being a highlight but any day would be great.

• Cricket - Northants - We’re right on the border. I’m much more interested in the England team though
    F1 - McLaren - No specific reason, I latched on as a kid. I should really be an Aston Martin fan now as I live in Newport Pagnell
    NHL - NY Rangers - I’m glutton for punishment and can thank early nineties ice hockey video games

That’s it really, I find I’m able to watch most sport without following a specific team.

• Are you guys planning to stick with the same seats next season? Hope you’re all ok.

• I had a new three piece suite delivered after the second lockdown, so don't need any new ones thanks @micra

• @mooneyman said:
    I had a new three piece suite delivered after the second lockdown, so don't need any new ones thanks @micra

Can you see over the new dug-outs?

• @Wendoverman said:

@mooneyman said:
    I had a new three piece suite delivered after the second lockdown, so don't need any new ones thanks @micra

Can you see over the new dug-outs?

With a booster cushion!

• @micra said:
    Are you guys planning to stick with the same seats next season? Hope you’re all ok.

Oh god yes, I’m a creature of habit. I’ll be sat in the FA after a pint of rebellion in my seat reading my current book prior to kick off

• I will be in the same seat (view permitting) for the only team sport I have any interest in.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I will be in the same seat (view permitting) for the only team sport I have any interest in.

@Wendoverman are you in the Beechdean?

• Same seats planned. FA block R

• Same there for us too. Back row, block C of Beechdean.

• Football.... Everton

Cricket.... Lancs and England, probably only English International team I'm bothered about.

Rugby League.... Wigan, I'm closer to St Helen's but always liked Wigan.

All other sports I'm interested in are more individual ones like Boxing and Snooker.

• Love me some tennis, too. Saw Federer v Djokovic in the Indian Wells final maybe 8 years ago. I can pretty much die happy as far as tennis goes, especially as we do not have long left of what I call the Tennis Beatles:

Federer = John Lennon. The early leader, and enjoys a kind of iconic status beyond even his bandmates.
    Nadal = Paul McCartney. Younger, left-handed genius who rose to prominence later in the era (note: I know Nadal is actually right-handed away from the game itself).
    Djokovic = George Harrison. Initially regarded as the third wheel, but rose more and more to challenge the dual supremacy of the band leaders.
    Murray = Ringo. Dismissed as the lesser talented "mascot", but wonderfully talented in his own right.

I only wish I could make Federer naturally equate to Paul, as deep down I will always regard them as the greatest of each quartet.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I will be in the same seat (view permitting) for the only team sport I have any interest in.

@Wendoverman are you in the Beechdean?

Yarp. From where I sportingly and politely clap opposition management teams and the officials while complaining about my own team's gamemanship and agricultural hoofball tactics.

• @micra said:
    Are you guys planning to stick with the same seats next season? Hope you’re all ok.

Obviously interesting to be able to compile a scattergram (is that the word?) of the location within the stadium of every regular Gasroomer (and some nice comic touches to boot) but I was addressing my post to @BlueBoy ! Should have DM’d him or at least have added his username. Living and learning still.

For what it’s worth, I’m staying put.

• Are there any Terrace season ticket holders on here? @micra come to think of it is anyone under 40?

• I'm in the terrace

• That’s a relief but I wonder if we have significant numbers of posters below 40 or are we a bunch of escapees from a Saga holiday tour myself very much included.

• I'm in the terrace, age 73!

• I've got a terrace season ticket