Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

14567810»

Comments

• @LX1 said:
    Don't google 'sh1t hot camp strikers for less than £100k' on a work laptop

Lol I’ll bear that in mind.
    Agree that Uche was a great find but for every Uch their is probably also a Bas Savage. Wouldn’t Pigott have cost a fair few £££. Also worth remembering that everyone was heralding Kashket after the first handful of games saying he looked championship quality. He may well be ... but I don’t see where he fits in our current set up.

• @Guppys_Left_Leg telling all staff to look for new jobs because there wouldn't be club support once the furlough scheme ended comes high on my list, as does ignoring the science to agitate for a return of crowds at the start of the second wave. He wasn't alone in doing that and the lion's share of responsibility lies with the govt for stupidly bowing to pressure from the football authorities for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile there were reports on here that safety measures promised were not being put in place (no temperature checks, allocated seating not adhered to, staggered timing for entry not adhered to, crowds of maskless fans at pinch points on the way out of the ground after the final whistle). All predictable, sadly, as expecting 1-2,000 excited fans to all behave responsibly is asking rather a lot. The number of coronavirus cases in Wycombe on Dec 2, the day of the first match with fans, was 139 per 100,000. The number on Dec 16, four days after the second match, was 310 per 100,000. Now just to be clear, I'm not suggesting reopening the football ground was responsible for a single one of those cases. But what I am saying is that it was wrong for Rob Couhig to agitate for the ground to be reopened at that stage and wrong for the government to have allowed it to happen. I'm pleased they're not making that mistake again as we come out of the third lockdown.

• Some really great exchanges on here this morning. Getting excited about Sunday. Need to set the alarm!

• edited February 2021

The interpretation of history on the Gasroom will never cease to be a source of humour. The famous letter and meeting deserve some credit as a refocusing measure that wasn't without risk. Ainsworth and the players will of course deserve the lion share if we manage by any method to stay up. Am I right now that because Uche has made such an Impact it's Ainsworths fault for not buying two of him, or is it for not buying him twice?

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@aloysius said:
    I'll just say that while I think Rob Couhig has made some major mistakes since coronavirus hit, he's far from alone in that.

What are they then? I think the club has handled the whole situation better than most

I was going to ask the exact same question @Guppys_Left_Leg. Given that we couldn't even set a budget until July as we couldn't be certain of which division we would be in until then. Also we haven't, as a general crowd, been in the stadium for months so we haven't seen or experienced any of the obvious improvements that RC was telling us about. We are also not privy to what ongoing sponsorships & marketing improvements have been made. We are still an ongoing concern, partway through a development team, have been promised monies back for those that need it, I'm really struggling to see where the mistakes are but happy to shown the light as it were.

• I think it's worth pointing out that we were actually much improved just before the Covid break. 2 wins from 3, 7 goals in the process and we seemed to be really gelling. For whatever reason, that break really seemed to set us back for a few weeks, which sadly could prove crucial.

I think a general re-focusing after a series of poor performances has been the main factor in our improvement, rather than any tactical change. You could even point to that Mehmeti goal just before half time at Huddersfield as being the catalyst for the revival.

• @aloysius I very much agree around not rushing fans back into grounds. The only comment I would make is to give credit to football authorities for calling off games back in March 2020 when government was unwilling to put a lockdown in place.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I think it's worth pointing out that we were actually much improved just before the Covid break. 2 wins from 3, 7 goals in the process and we seemed to be really gelling. For whatever reason, that break really seemed to set us back for a few weeks, which sadly could prove crucial.

I think a general re-focusing after a series of poor performances has been the main factor in our improvement, rather than any tactical change. You could even point to that Mehmeti goal just before half time at Huddersfield as being the catalyst for the revival.

Healthy sceptism of the owners is fine, think you have to temper it a bit with knowledge that we might have been screwed without them even pre-covid and certainly post.
    A Mehmeti goal is also a victory of sorts for the new ways if people still want to weigh up every decision, as the first product of the B team initiative. Of course they could have signed him anyway but might have thought he needed time and development work they wouldn't have ordinarily been able to spare.
    The comments about rushing back in are fair, I'm fairly cautious around that but the staff comments can be taken two ways, allowing people to seek alternative employment when we couldn't be sure what we could offer going forward is commendable although it did seem to be a little too closely timed to heading off whingers at the posh around our ability to play on.

• Some magnificent stuff on this thread.
    Long live the Gasroom!

• @perfidious_albion said:

@arnos_grove said:
    I’m in a WhatsApp group set up with the aim of sorting out the mess Gareth Ainsworth has made of our club. Rob Couhig, Brendan Rogers, Carlo Ancelotti and Alan Smith have turned the season round for us. If you want in, DM me your mobile number ?.

I’m in a group with Gok Wan and Trinny & Susanna. Their suggestion that Gaz refreshes his Spring wardrobe by parking the black leather biker look and going back to a smart casual unstructured blazer and tight chinos* ensemble in club inspired blues, seems to have done the trick in turning the season round.
    *Gok was happy to restyle the biker look further but was overridden by the girls.

Well done...it’s made all the difference to our form. Maybe Gaz could get a haircut too?

• @Forest_Blue said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@arnos_grove said:
    I’m in a WhatsApp group set up with the aim of sorting out the mess Gareth Ainsworth has made of our club. Rob Couhig, Brendan Rogers, Carlo Ancelotti and Alan Smith have turned the season round for us. If you want in, DM me your mobile number ?.

I’m in a group with Gok Wan and Trinny & Susanna. Their suggestion that Gaz refreshes his Spring wardrobe by parking the black leather biker look and going back to a smart casual unstructured blazer and tight chinos* ensemble in club inspired blues, seems to have done the trick in turning the season round.
    *Gok was happy to restyle the biker look further but was overridden by the girls.

Well done...it’s made all the difference to our form. Maybe Gaz could get a haircut too?

Good grief no! The owners see this as a major revenue opportunity. Neil Peters has been ‘tasked’ by Missie to find a hair care sponsor for the gaffer. When Trust members questioned why this was a priority they were given short shrift in a leaked email from the Chairman - “because he’s worth it”.
    @glasshalffull affirmed this smart move would be sure to enhance the game day experience for all those admiring the managers luscious locks close up from behind in the Beechdean.

• @Shev said:
    This list shows all the teams who finished below 40 points since the division went to 46 games in the early 90s. Leeds did have a 10 point deduction in 06-07 (I may have missed a deduction somewhere else too).

Even with all the bad luck we have had, a half decent run would see us very far from the worst points total ever.

39: Southend 96-97
    39: Grimsby 02-03
    39: Charlton 08-09
    39: Wigan 14-15
    39: Barnsley 13-14
    38: Tranmere 00-01
    38: Brighton 05-06
    38: Colchester 07-08
    37: Peterborough 93-94
    37: Yeovil 13-14
    37: Sunderland 17-18
    36: Port Vale 99-00
    36: Leeds 06-07
    36: Swindon 99-00
    36: Bradford 03-04
    36: Doncaster 11-12
    34: Peterborough 09-10
    32: Bolton 18-19
    31: Ipswich 18-19
    29: Wimbledon 03-04
    29: Rotherham 04-05
    26: Stockport 01-02
    26: Blackpool 14-15
    23: Rotherham 16-17

I have a nosebleed. Eat our dust, 16-17 Rotherham!

• One more point and we wont even be in the relegation zone of lowest points ever !

• Another two bite the dust. Goodbye Blackpool and Stockport!

• Without wishing to descend to small-mindedness, am I alone in thinking of 35 as the magic number?

• @HCblue said:
    Without wishing to descend to small-mindedness, am I alone in thinking of 35 as the magic number?

Had a post with exactly this sentiment written, but it didn't post for some reason.

But yes, can we scrape 8 from 8?

• @HCblue said:
    Without wishing to descend to small-mindedness, am I alone in thinking of 35 as the magic number?

I thought exactly that, would love to beat Peterborough

• Out of the bottom three!

• I have to keep updating this as it feels good to pass teams, which we are not likely to do in the actual season!

• @Shev Post the table in a brand new thread and we can make it a sticky (at least until the end of the season). I think this is all we’re playing for now, so it deserves a prime spot!

• @arnos_grove said:
    @Shev Post the table in a brand new thread and we can make it a sticky (at least until the end of the season). I think this is all we’re playing for now, so it deserves a prime spot!

Seconded

• Done!!!

• @Shev said:
    Another two bite the dust. Goodbye Blackpool and Stockport!

Stockport ! Whatever happened to them?
    It couldn’t, could it?

• E I E I E I O Up the football league we go