Skip to content

AFC Wimbledon to return to Plough Lane

Granted permission this evening.

Superb to see a fellow fan-owned owned club returning home after such a bitter journey. Plus we might get a better view at the new ground.

Comments

• Yes, but presumably greyhounds and stock car racing will now be out on their ear.

• In their new 20000 seat stadium? Still approve of that as well...Funded by selling their ground to a Russian Oligarch and a premier team that have no interest in L2.
    And just what will happen to Kingstonian? Now that AFC have done an MK on them. Hypocrisy. Wimbledon can't stand us - slated us through the recent game, carried on in fans rants afterwards. Horrible team, fans, area. What's to like.
    If you want to support "fan owned" clubs - follow someone like Exeter. Much nicer.

• I would be quite happy for a wealthy individual to buy Adams Park and us to use the funds to build and fully finance a new and better stadium which is more accessible and with adequate parking. It ain't going to happen for us though!

• Shocking news I am afraid. Yet another major loss for Greyhound racing. It was bad enough Losing the Mighty Walthamstow and White City tracks. Out of an original 33 dog tracks in London - including 'flapping' tracks at Batersea, Brixton, Crooked Billet, Dagenham (Old), Edmonton, Greenford, Harlington Corner, Mitcham, Perry Hills, Sidcup, Southall, Stratford (Temple Mills), Welling and the 'straights' at Edgeware, Feltham, Hounsfield and NGRC/GBGB Licensed tracks - Catford, Charlton, Clapton, Dagenham (New), Hackney, Harringay, Hendon, New Cross, Park Royal, Stamford Bridge, Wandsworth, Walthamstow, Watford, Wembley, West Ham, White City - Wimbledon Stadium remains the only venue left open! Only Crayford dogs near Dartford remains as a venue anywhere near the capital. Sad sad day for the sport.

• edited December 2015

Can MK Dons be wound up now?

• @WildWestFC beat me to it. Would be a wonderful piece of karma if that could happen. Sad loss for the greyhounds though

• M3G - before you mourn the loss of another greyhound stadium, maybe give this Panorama piece a watch. Or read any one of the myriad investigations into the cruelty and neglect of dogs who don't quite make the grade -

As for Wimbledon's move. Happy for them to be going back to Merton but their treatment of Kingstonian suggests a lot of their fans/board have very short memories.

• @MindlessDrugHoover Absolutely agree that this has gone on. But my point is really about the loss of all these fine iconic stadiums. Particularly White City, Walthamstow and now Wimbledon. I have been to all three over the years on more than one occasion. As a spectator sport a night at the dogs is great fun.

• A night at the 'Stow was always a tremendous family evening out. I once bumped into Dave Carroll in the paddock there. I think he used to own a racing dog at one point...

• @bluntphil were you a Charlie Chans regular?

• I met dave Carroll at Walthamstow I think it was or Romford. .loved the stow.Went there on the last night..atmosphere was electric.

• @peterparrotface I was too young for the Charlie Chan glory years. I do remember seeing Vinny Samways in the line for Chans on the way out of the Stow once. How times have changed...

• How have AFCW treated Kingstonian badly? Kingstonian did not own the lease on Kingsmeadow. Had AFCW not bought it out from the guy that did, who knows where Kingstonian would be now. They can't afford to run it on their own now, and that's after getting themselves into a better financial state than they were in a few years ago. They have been playing at Kingsmeadow for a tiny rent (also seen it suggested it has been rent free, and they keep bar profits etc from their games), and AFCW have said they will help them find a suitable place to play in future. If they fail in that, then they will deserve criticism. The simple fact is though that Kingstonian would have been booted out years ago if it weren't for Wimbledon.

As for Wimbledon fans saying nasty stuff about us, I haven't seen anything that Wycombe fans don't throw at other teams. Just football fans being football fans.