Skip to content

Strikers

How are we expected to win matches when we have 3 'strikers' that we are carrying?
Shocking performance.. Not helped by our invisible strikeforce

Comments

• Have to admit I am starting to wonder where the goals are going to come from.

• I'm still wondering why bring on two strikers who did make an impact so late in the game. I could see a few of the Newport players suffering with cramp after 70 minutes that would have been ideal to make a few changes to freshen up the attack. Oh well Carlisle to get it right.

• I am surprised Holloway did not start in front of Craig , obviously Hayes is being broken in after a lay off .... I do not blame the manager though , it is obvious from his own comments and that of the chairman that "stability needs to come before success " in their book and my guess is than it was "job done" as far as the chairman is concerned when we reached 55 points . I do not think he is concerned at all as we are up to speed with his survival plan . I think the loss of PCH and Scowen are starting to tell and it looks like this is the squad from now until the end of the season ...

• Well if that is thecase then I cant see where the crowds will be coming. Mid field security after such a staggering successful season to date will be very dissappointing. You cant tell me that wecant afford a couple of loansignings that could make all the difference!

• I think Ainsworth has gone on record as saying he hopes to bring in some loans. He shouldn't rush into it though, better to bring in the right players in a couple of weeks, than the wrong players now.

• @One_of_the_81 said:
    Well if that is thecase then I cant see where the crowds will be coming. Mid field security after such a staggering successful season to date will be very dissappointing. You cant tell me that wecant afford a couple of loansignings that could make all the difference!

Exactly correct about the crowds. You can bring a mate for a fiver but he's not gonna come back if he's watching abject and non entertaining performances. Crowds will not improve without goals and success. 20 thousand people follow WWFC on Facebook or Twitter but if you include away contribution to the total less than 20% attend games.
    I'm afraid part of the 5 year plan is probably staying down this season but obviously no one connected with the club is going to say this. Playoff attempt next year and automatic push the year after is what we can hope for.
    Would love to be proved wrong. Ha

• I think it is more the loss of our high tempo pressing that has led to our goal scoring dropping off.

That said, Holloway is conference player and hugely overrated on this board and behind the goal.

• edited February 2015

Why would the plan be to stay down? What advantage would this be to anyone? We might go up, we might not. Either way it won't be because someone decided that was the plan.

• @Glenactico Sure Holloway doesn't score as he should, but aside from Hayes he has the best first touch in our side, is exceptionally composed and strong on the ball and scares defenders. Let's not forget that this is a 22 year old guy who has struggled throughout his short career with injury. A fit Holloway up front with a fit Hayes is by far and away our best combination.

• So can supporters these prolific strikers are > @Glenactico said:

I think it is more the loss of our high tempo pressing that has led to our goal scoring dropping off.

That said, Holloway is conference player and hugely overrated on this board and behind the goal.

Really, have you checked his bio.. Was a Welsh Under 21 international, and was schooled by Bristol City academy/p. professional. Holloway has been hit with hamstring injuries until he went Newport County.

I can't see anywhere Holloway playing in Conference league. I guess you weren't one of the many fans cheering Holo Holo way to come on, plus he made an impact plus skinned to defenders to make a cross, which unfortunately Pierre got on the end off but fouled and made several headers in the right direction. Not bad for several minutes for a conference player.

• If we want to play hoofball, we should make a cheaky loan bid for Rhead. He'll love that type of service.