Skip to content

Kevin Ellison released by Morecambe

always the villain against us but not a bad player - good luck with finding a new club.

Comments

• Very open about his mental health issues - seems to be a great chap, and seemed to be treated poorly in the past few months at Morecambe - which coincided with the appointment of a certain manager

• Undoubtedly a very good player, and always against us. Shame he’s so old, but I couldn’t see him settling at a southern softy kind of club.

• He’s a great lower league player in the style of Tommy Mooney. He’s been a constant threat to us over the years.

One home game he was getting dogs abuse as I think it was our first game against them since the Bean hairpulling incident. The ball went out of play and my 6 year old daughter caught it. Ellison politely asked ‘over here please little lady’ and thanked her afterwards. I remember Amy saying what a nice man he was

I hope he gets a decent contract somewhere and I wouldn’t be displeased to see him in the quarters as backup for Bayo.

• @MBS said:
    Undoubtedly a very good player, and always against us. Shame he’s so old, but I couldn’t see him settling at a southern softy kind of club.

‘Southern softies’ is the one accusation that fans and managers of rival clubs have never levelled at Wycombe!

• @Lloyd2084 said:

I hope he gets a decent contract somewhere and I wouldn’t be displeased to see him in the quarters as backup for Bayo.

He's 41!

• @floyd said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

He's 41!

Strewth, I didn’t know that. He wears that well.

Well I guess I grew up watching Garner and Regis up front so he’s almost a spring chicken! ;)

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    He’s a great lower league player in the style of Tommy Mooney. He’s been a constant threat to us over the years.

One home game he was getting dogs abuse as I think it was our first game against them since the Bean hairpulling incident. The ball went out of play and my 6 year old daughter caught it. Ellison politely asked ‘over here please little lady’ and thanked her afterwards. I remember Amy saying what a nice man he was

He's very much in the panto villain mould, and hair pulling aside, is what I'm sure a lot of our players would put in the "honest pro" camp.
    As opposed to your Danny Hylton types, who i'm sure they'd label a snidey cheaty sort of player.

He's had a long hard career though, but it's probably either time for non league or moving into coaching or something.

• edited June 2020

His stunning volleyed goal (off his 'wrong' foot) against us at AP 2 or 3 years back was a thing of beauty. That's the point at which I belatedly started giving him a bit of credit.

• World of difference between Ellison and Hylton indeed. One a classic wind-up merchant who'd take the stick he got from oppo fans and revel in it, and a player I'd have been happy to have in our team; the other a genuinely nasty piece of work, a convicted racist and someone I would never, ever want to see in a Wycombe shirt.

• Nice to hear a comment like that @Lloyd2084. Sounds like a decent, intelligent man who’d learnt how to get at least a small section of the crowd, if not exactly on his side, feeling less inclined to be abusive towards him.

• Nothing like a panto villain who likes being a panto villain...you never felt safe when he was on the pitch as he worked so hard and was always dangerous. Always looked like he was having a laugh with other players though. The hair pulling was a bit disappointing.
    DDH like Ched Evans is not someone I would pay to watch in my team. Other opinions are available.

• @Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    He’s a great lower league player in the style of Tommy Mooney. He’s been a constant threat to us over the years.

He's very much in the panto villain mould, and hair pulling aside, is what I'm sure a lot of our players would put in the "honest pro" camp.
    As opposed to your Danny Hylton types, who i'm sure they'd label a snidey cheaty sort of player.

He's had a long hard career though, but it's probably either time for non league or moving into coaching or something.

Funnily enough that's what I would have thought and yet on one of the episodes of WWFC's lockdown thing in YouTube Sido indicated that Hylton wasn't too bad but refused to even talk about Ellison

It was a good episode that one. The players were saying that at that Luton game at Adams Park when Hylton was acting up and upsetting Bayo that some of their players confided to some of ours that they were hoping Bayo would knock him out in the tunnel afterwards as they thought he'd acted like a prick

They also said that at an awards dinner Hylton was so scared of Bayo that he sent his wife over to check everything was cool between them!!!

• Ellison yes the pantomime villain. That volley off the wrong foot amazing, did he score another that day? Also had the pleasure of being at the away game where Ellison pulled Beano’s dreads at the end of the game, it all kicked off, seem to remember Pierre chasing him off down the tunnel?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Nothing like a panto villain who likes being a panto villain...you never felt safe when he was on the pitch as he worked so hard and was always dangerous. Always looked like he was having a laugh with other players though. The hair pulling was a bit disappointing.
    DDH like Ched Evans is not someone I would pay to watch in my team. Other opinions are available.

In this case @Wendoverman we are as one. I wish Ellison well.