The Bootlegger reopening in spring

2»

Comments

• Harold Juana.

Blimey, there’s a blast from the past.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Harold Juana.

Blimey, there’s a blast from the past.

I was friends with the band and used to watch them whenever i could, they were more stoned than the audience, LOL!

• @robin said:

@bigred87 said:
    Spent many summer evenings in the flint as a young boy growing up..... bad parenting probably? I remember the old abounded factory out the back in mid 90s we would see if we could hit it with stones etc...... any locals remember the American guy that was always in there can't remember his name might of been john?

Friday nights were brilliant in The Flint watching Harold Juana among many other good band, i remember American Jim it might be the same fella but he's dead now.

Jim that's him.....

• I'm sure his name was American Keith ? He died a few years ago, always wore a black leather waste coat. Also had a nickname of Cornwall Keith, as their was some doubt about his supposed US roots.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I'm sure his name was American Keith ? He died a few years ago, always wore a black leather waste coat. Also had a nickname of Cornwall Keith, as their was some doubt about his supposed US roots.

Ah yeah Keith that's it i was mixing him up with a friend in Glastonbury. Word was he was born here went on holiday for a few weeks to The US and came back with an American accent which he kept up until the end.

• That's the story I was told. He had a short spell as a bouncer on the doors of the Flint. Wearing leather driving gloves and a bum bag attached to his waist, he wasn't the most intimidating doorman you ever saw !!

• American keith!!! Not jim?‍♂️.... one on many who died in a short period of time from the same era.... my parents are 69 so would assume keith was about the same age.... remember Wilf aswell he was lovely bloke

• I remember Wilf, he died not long before Keith.
    I did see him have an hilarious rant against a group of us who were rooting for Barney to beat Phil Taylor at the darts in the Iron Duke.
    He said we should be put in the Tower of London and tried for Treason !!

• @ChasHarps you must know Tony powers?

• I can remember Marcel powers who used to sup in the Duke,

• @ChasHarps said:
    I remember Wilf, he died not long before Keith.
    I did see him have an hilarious rant against a group of us who were rooting for Barney to beat Phil Taylor at the darts in the Iron Duke.

The Iron Duke is another pub that closed isn't it? I used to drink in there with gravedigger Mick or Digger as we used to call him he now lives in Tintagel, it's been 10 years since i visited him and he hasn't changed he's still stoned all the time

• Its been closed a few years now, it ended up a pretty 'rough joint'. I used to live in the Saffron Platt area, and quite a few people used to do the circular crawl. Start at the Nags Head, then The Pheasant up to The Gordon's, a swifty in the RAFA club, then along to the Iron Duke and down to the Bell Vue, then Under the railway line to The Irish club for a shindig, and then finally reside at the Masons Arms, which sadly is the only one, along with the Belle Vue that is still open.

• Has the Pheasant closed?

The Belle Vue is a great pub. An absolute gem in an area that used to have a pub every few hundred yards, but is now something of a pub desert.

• The Pheasant has been closed a few months now, many years ago it unusually used to have a bookies in a hut type building in the carpark, unless I have dreamt that up !!

• It did... I remember that !

• @robin said:

@ChasHarps said:
    I remember Wilf, he died not long before Keith.

The Iron Duke is another pub that closed isn't it? I used to drink in there with gravedigger Mick or Digger as we used to call him he now lives in Tintagel, it's been 10 years since i visited him and he hasn't changed he's still stoned all the time

I know him aswell!!!! My stepfather is Tony powers so i crew up around all them in the flint/duke...... the one's that are still with us drink in the bird on west wycombe road......

• Yes the Father Ted lookalike landlord went from the Duke to the Bird in hand. And took most of the 'squad' with him.

• It's The Rose that I really miss.......

• Before i moved to Somerset in 1998 The Flint and The Nags were my regulasr pubs, i used to knock about with Bones,Mega and Ted my nickname back then was Mowgli.

• Who was/is the wycombe fan who dresses up like a native American, i think his name was/is Eddie? Haven't seen him for a few years, i remember my parents knowing him....

• Eddie Ball, I've not seen him recently either.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Eddie Ball, I've not seen him recently either.

He still goes to AP, seen him with a stick but no headress.

• @AlanCecil said:

@ChasHarps said:

He’s there every week just a few seats down from the good lady teacher Her Indoors and me in block R in the Frank Adams. Nice chap. As are we all in that part of the ground.

• @Manboobs said:

@AlanCecil said:

@ChasHarps said:

He’s there every week just a few seats down from the good lady teacher Her Indoors and me in block R in the Frank Adams. Nice chap. As are we all in that part of the ground.

Good to hear he's still around