Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• edited January 2020

@eric_plant said:
    We're you saying that when we were winning every week?

You don't always say everything you are thinking. Do you disagree?

• Oh well, let's forget that ever happened and look ahead to Blackpool, who are horribly out of form and might have a game at the weekend while we're off. At least when Trevor Kettle tried to ruin the game, he failed and we won.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Amazing the number of Sunderland fans on Twitter still obsessed with us. It must feel an age ago that their big rivalry was with Newcastle.

lol

• @HCblue said:
    I'd just love us to string two passes together, though, and look like a player or two was comfortable on the ball.

Presumably you weren't at the game on Saturday?

• edited January 2020

@HCblue said:

@eric_plant said:
    We're you saying that when we were winning every week?

You don't always say everything you are thinking. Do you disagree?

I mean, tell me you wouldn't have watched the last seven games and thought "How the heck was this lot top of the league?". It's one of the wonders of variance and probability. A good statistician could probably learn a great deal out of our season so far.

• edited January 2020

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

@HCblue said:
    I'd just love us to string two passes together, though, and look like a player or two was comfortable on the ball.

Presumably you weren't at the game on Saturday?

I was (and every one from Oxford onwards except Portsmouth, which I watched on iFollow) and didn't see a great deal that would contradict the observation. See previous comment for further.

• Peterboro away is a bloody tough game anyway.
    For that decision to go against us on 20mins was an absolute killer. It made the game even less good viewing that a couple of those crappy Checkatrade games.

JJ injured too, just to make it even worse.

However, a week to take stock, get a few injuries closer to healing, and in the cold light of day, the fixtures ease quite a lot going forward, definitely away.

We'll still be right in the thick of it after the weekend's games pan out.

• Clearly the sending off had a massive impact today but we need to be realistic. We have over achieved by a long way early season and over the last few weeks who we are and where our budget is has become a reality. We went into the season hoping to stay in League 1. With the Couhigs money perhaps mid table. So it’s no surprise we are starting to lose games to the so called bigger teams . I think the second part of the season is going to be tough. Not sure we can change the momentum to stay in at least the play offs. But ending mid table will be success.

• Eric Plant’s summing up of our season so far is bang on the money. No need to add anything to his insightful post.

• @davecz said:
    Clearly the sending off had a massive impact today but we need to be realistic. We have over achieved by a long way early season and over the last few weeks who we are and where our budget is has become a reality. We went into the season hoping to stay in League 1. With the Couhigs money perhaps mid table. So it’s no surprise we are starting to lose games to the so called bigger teams . I think the second part of the season is going to be tough. Not sure we can change the momentum to stay in at least the play offs. But ending mid table will be success.

Very easy to forget how bad this season could have been.

• Any word on JJ injury, really don't want him out for any length of time.

• I thought it was a clear penalty. The angle on ifollow doesn't show how clear the push was. It was a stupid thing to do and Gareth was livid with Phillips as he walked to the bench. I think that'll be it for him this season.
    Prior to that I thought we were working our way into the game well and were defending superbly as a team. We are still a very good side, we will pick up many more points before the season is over. We are still second.

• The ref had a different angle of view to those of us on I follow and he saw a push. That prevents a goal scoring opportunity and once he makes those two decisions it’s a red card and a penalty...those are the laws of the game...why did Phillips do it?

• 3 decisions ruined the game.

1) Playing the diamond. Hard to be that critical of Ainsworth because of everything - but we are consistently bad with it. Even before the sending off, they were getting huge advantages and space down the wings sending in early crosses.

2) Alsopp not claiming the slow header that came in right before the penalty. It's overlooked because of what happened next, but Alsopp can easily come out and claim that, except he stays stuck to his line

3) The red. It's naive from Phillips, but that is an awful decision.

• edited January 2020

What is naïve from Phillips? Unless the answer is "nothing", the decision becomes immediately defensible.

• Touching the striker from behind is naive there. He's forced into it because Alsopp doesn't come out to get it.

But a penalty and a red card is extremely harsh.

• I think its great that those of us who thought we were actually no good and just lucky at the start of the season but too frightened of gasroom bullying to point it out are now free to make their feelings known. I always knew that though we might beat teams one day in fact at some point there would be games we would lose. There I have said it...

• I suspect part of the Philips deal with QPR is that he has to be involved over a certain amount of games, otherwise we would have to pay more of a proportion of his wages.

• I doubt it.

• @Proactive said:
    I suspect part of the Philips deal with QPR is that he has to be involved over a certain amount of games, otherwise we would have to pay more of a proportion of his wages.

For players like Aarons and Smyth, I feel that is more likely tha not.

Philips though hadn't played a league game before he turned up at Wycombe so I don't think so.

• @HCblue said:
    What is naïve from Phillips? Unless the answer is "nothing", the decision becomes immediately defensible.

Obviously putting his hand on the striker, and giving him the opportunity to jump to the floor and fool the ref.

Those saying Phillips didn't touch him want to have a closer look, but clearly it's a contact sport and a gentle touch like that was in no way stopping the guy scoring.
    From the angle he and the ball were, the striker was never scoring anyway!

The Stewart pen v Sunderland was another where the striker was never getting near it, but Stewart gave the ref a decision to make.

• @Proactive said:
    I suspect part of the Philips deal with QPR is that he has to be involved over a certain amount of games, otherwise we would have to pay more of a proportion of his wages.

It is definitely baffling that he's favoured over Sido in the centre. Especially when Sido has had good spells there the last 2 years and Phillips has looked pretty shaky from the off.

• Have said before that Posh were the best outfit (at the time before we played Cov) that we've played at home this season so was always going to be a tough ask. The next few games on paper at least give us a breather from the intensity we've seen over the last few weeks and should allow us to get some points on the board and stay in and around the mix at the top.
    COYB

• Peterborough threw away their lead at Adams park and that was not going to happen again. The chasing teams have all got tough fixtures and will drop.points there are enough potential wins ahead for us to stay up and about. Not panicking yet.

• To think I thought before the game that they'd be a lesser threat without Maddison and with Eisa and Boyd on the bench! Just LOL.

• As someone with as good a view as anyone in the stands, Phillips definitely put an arm in the back of their forward albeit the faintest of contacts. Whether there was a logical connection between that and the theatrical swan dice from their forward is open for debate. Another ref may well have booked their forward for simulation.
    As to whether it was a red card, these can still be given for adjudged deliberate denials of goalscoring opportunities in the penalty area, so if the ref thought Phillips had shoved their forward over he had to give a red.

We can moan about the ref' s interpretation of the incident, but Phillips has given him a decision to make that you feel our mode experienced CBs wouldn't have done.

All in all a difficult game for the Chairboys and girls who made the trek to the Fens, though very few people are wetting the bed after it. Peterborough's resources are far greater than ours, on paper they should beat us that comfortably 11 v 11

• Gutted for the fans who showed the commitment to go a fairly decent length trip on a freezing cold Jan midweeker, who then had their game totally ruined 20mins in.

@ReadingMarginalista , a good summary of the situation. The hand on the back of their player was stupid, but not nearly enough to send their guy to the floor.
    Plus tit being fairly clear that the player wasn't getting near the ball anyway.

Therefore, the outrage at the decision, was mixed with annoyance at Phillips for even making it a chance of a decision.
    And he'll do very well to feature much in the last 17 games of the season. Only potentially having a chance due to Grimmer's continued absence, and a few midweekers making Charles a doubt.

• Can't believe how many people prepared to give any possible justification for that penalty and red card last night

One of the worst decisions you are ever likely to see. There was no contact at all, so the referee (from a long way) simply guessed. That's why it took him so long to give it, and also why he appeared uncertain even after giving it seemingly wanting to consult the linesman as well.

It was a pathetic display and I attribute zero responsibility whatsoever to poor Giles Phillips.

• @eric_plant It was certainly a terrible decision if you go by the golden rule of being 100% certain of your decision to give a penalty and/or a red card. In real time it definitely looked like Phillips put an arm on the forwards back as most players do in midfield aerial battles and never get penalised for. It may be harsh on Phillips for criticising him letting the forward get goalside of him and then giving the ref a scintilla of an excuse to give a pen, unfortunately it turned Tom Burts Hill into Everest in terms of our uphill battle to get anything from the game.

• From where I was sitting last night it looked as though the referee didn't see any infringement and initially was not going to give a penalty, until his assistant started furiously waving his flag. At that point the referee pointed to the spot and displayed the red card, despite, it would seem, not having been certain himself that it was warranted.