Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Why was JJ taken off?

• Just before half time Nnamdi was pushed over in their box, a much clearer push.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I don't think Phillips is a bad player, more just that his inexperience shows.

Unfortunately centre back is a position in the team there really isn't much room for error.

• Was never a penalty. Phillips is a liability though. The problem is though we could appeal. What then is likely to happen is it is I returned. However it doesn't change the result. We lise valuable points. Plenty of fans throw money out of the money ad there will be no repercussions for the ref. That's the problem. Ref killed the game end of discussion. Twice this season and getting cooking sick of it.

• Bloody typos and had to have a few drinks to wash that shite down.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I've watched the replay a few times now, he did gently push him, he would have scored otherwise.

Might it be more accurate to characterise it as a touch than as a push?

• Toneys a gobby prick

• I really don't know what the referee has seen there? A genuinely appaling decision! Whether there's a touch or not from Philips, it's nowhere near enough to warrant a foul.

Not a great bit of defending admittedly, but I really do feel sorry for the lad. This was a big game for him and to have a decision like that go against you must be gutting.

• @Malone said:
    One of the all time most scandalous decisions. The pen was silly, but the red an absolute shocker.

Phillips is a total liability though, whether it's us tending to concede more when he's about, getting sent off, or having to be hauled off on 30, he can't start any more games barring emergencies now.

So it is simultaneously one of the all time scandalous decisions and Phillips being a total liability by getting sent off?

Jesus

• Easy to say the ref ruined the game, but it really applies here. Good grief.

• @HCblue said:

@Steve_Peart said:
    I've watched the replay a few times now, he did gently push him, he would have scored otherwise.

A nudge, enough to put Szmodics off.

• £30,000+ a year these refs can make apparently.

• @Steve_Peart said:

@HCblue said:

@Steve_Peart said:

A nudge, enough to put Szmodics off.

I dare say that was something like the intention.

• 2 months ago I fancied us at 2-0 down. Now I dont even fancy us at 0-0. It's quite possible that if I have that mentality, the players may well do too...consciously or unconsciously.

It does go back to that "rub of the green" theory. We have had a lot of luck to get where we are (as well as hard work). But once teams figure you out, and the luck wears off...its tough mentally to get out of a downward spiral. We got the luck we needed against Rochdale, but unfortunately it looks as though we have run out of ideas...that includes Ainsworth. Back to basics I say?

• edited January 2020

@thecatwwfc I think we showed promise in our general play on Saturday, and I don't think you can read too much into a game like this which been ruined by the ref - but we're certainly getting less of the rub of the green than we were.

• Goodness, this is cack.

• I don't think you can read to much into anything with this match

• @thecatwwfc said:
    2 months ago I fancied us at 2-0 down. Now I dont even fancy us at 0-0. It's quite possible that if I have that mentality, the players may well do too...consciously or unconsciously.

It does go back to that "rub of the green" theory. We have had a lot of luck to get where we are (as well as hard work). But once teams figure you out, and the luck wears off...its tough mentally to get out of a downward spiral. We got the luck we needed against Rochdale, but unfortunately it looks as though we have run out of ideas...that includes Ainsworth. Back to basics I say?

I suggest it's the fact that our basics are so basic that means you don't fancy us at 0-0.

• Obviously a very poor decision from the Ref and I know we are all armchair managers but I’m genuinely interested if anyone has done any stats on team selection and if we have fielded the same starting line up for more than 2 games running and if so when that was. I’m a bit gutted seeing as we are not playing Saturday that we didn’t start the same team and see if we could try and build momentum again.

• edited January 2020

@Tom said:
    I don't think you can read to much into anything with this match

I really hope so. Since the Oxford game, we've shown nothing but relegation form, I'd say.

• Peterborough are clearly a better side, and so they should be with the money they spend. No shame in losing to them, especially given the bad luck of the penalty and dismissal.

• @HCblue said:

I suggest it's the fact that our basics are so basic that means you don't fancy us at 0-0.

Yes, perhaps I contradicted myself a little there. But you know what I mean. When everything is going against you, it's difficult to find much hope. It's a mental thing, you dont go from losing 1 in 22 to losing 7 out of 8 because you suddenly turn rubbish.

• edited January 2020

@Chris said:
    Peterborough are clearly a better side, and so they should be with the money they spend. No shame in losing to them, especially given the bad luck of the penalty and dismissal.

They're alright but I fancy with eleven they are eminently matchable. Certainly, it was even until the red.

• Hard to criticise team selection when we've not really had a chance to see if it works. You can't legislate for decisions like that and a fired up Peterborough team are probably just about the worst side in the division to be playing over an hour with 10 men against

• Let's not go overboard.

If really good teams play really well against us (Coventry and Sunderland) then we'll be beaten.

With 10 men against decent sides we'll be beaten (Oxford and Peterborough)

But you always fancy us to beat teams of a similar level to us. We've been absolutely brilliant at doing that this season, and after a nightmare run of games we did it again last Saturday. And we've supplemented that with some fantastic results at home to Sunderland and Portsmouth.

There are plenty of those games left against those sides we're so good at getting results against. Absolutely no need to get despondent or over analyse. We've had a hard run of games against some really good sides who are better than us. We've got games coming up against sides that aren't

• @eric_plant completely agree.

• @eric_plant said:
    Let's not go overboard.

If really good teams play really well against us (Coventry and Sunderland) then we'll be beaten.

With 10 men against decent sides we'll be beaten (Oxford and Peterborough)

But you always fancy us to beat teams of a similar level to us. We've been absolutely brilliant at doing that this season, and after a nightmare run of games we did it again last Saturday. And we've supplemented that with some fantastic results at home to Sunderland and Portsmouth.

There are plenty of those games left against those sides we're so good at getting results against. Absolutely no need to get despondent or over analyse. We've had a hard run of games against some really good sides who are better than us. We've got games coming up against sides that aren't

That's fair and an apparently persuasive and positive analysis.

• I'd just love us to string two passes together, though, and look like a player or two was comfortable on the ball.

• We're you saying that when we were winning every week?

• Amazing the number of Sunderland fans on Twitter still obsessed with us. It must feel an age ago that their big rivalry was with Newcastle.