Skip to content

The Opposition View

Comments

• Usaul Bollox. I ty ahought Akinde was lucky to stay on, after the rather nasty clattering he gave Ingram in the second half wasn't even booked just a talking to. There number 15 left his foot in late on Ingram again a talking to. Our guys were pushed, pulled and generally given a pyhsical time, by a rather nasty Martin Allen's Barnet. It's rather pleasing that the GA's side can look after themselves when they needed to.

• Lol . Isn't it amazing how biased us football fans are ! I do think they had the better of the first half but we were good for the win in the second . They spent the last 20 mins "hoofing" balls down the middle , I cannot remember us doing this once , We did knock them high down the wings on occasion . Ingram does tend to go down well , but he was clattered a couple of times and he needs to look after his knee . I don't think I can remember any "cheating" . Sour grapes time I think ! Akinde should have scored but then Harriman probably should hae done better too .

• The guys i was standing with and moi, all thought the ref was favoring Barnet..The first half we should have been a least 1-0 down...but a great result none the less...

• A query and a comment.
    Was Charles Breakspear the ref (as per Vital, BBC website) or Darren England (as in match programme apparently).
    The "number 15" referred to by @Will_i_ams is Ben Tomlinson, a 25 year old striker who scored 32 goals in 72 games for Lincoln City.

• If you can't remember Wycombe hoofing the ball down the middle you must have arrived at half time and nodded off for large parts of the second half. We were pretty awful in possession throughout the first half, no ingenuity at all. Whenever we did get the ball we held on to it for a couple of passes and then hoofed. Second half we were a lot better but still spent a fair bit of it under the cosh.

Barnet were pretty good apart from their inability to stick it in the net. Their number 12 (Gambin maybe?) was fantastic and it really helped when Allen took him off for us. They'll do alright this season if Akinde finds his scoring boots.

• I thought Gambin was the best player on the pitch for the time he was on...Lionel Messi like. I reckon he'll struggle midwinter on a heavy pitch at Accrington.

• @drcongo we did hoof it for the first 20 mins or so because the Barnet front line (and especially the giant Akinde) went right at us and we were struggling to contain them , I believe we settled down after this and especially in the second half . I do agree Barnet were pretty good , better than York and will win games at the Hive . I don't quite know what you were expecting ? it was their first home game in the league since their return, the first game in their new stadium . They were always going to start on the front foot , which they did and they were always going to put on the pressure on in the last quarter on the game which they did .These were the periods we did hoof the ball but it is hardly as surprise beng under the pressure we were . In the last quarter they were hoofing the ball at us almost constantly . My point was that there was more to us than "cheating" and "hoofing" and they did a fair amount of this too.

• why is it every team we play we get wycombe are nothing special comments getting annoying

• @trevor said:
    why is it every team we play we get wycombe are nothing special comments getting annoying

Tell us something we don't know. Losers always have some narrative and it looks like they just jumped on the bandwagon.

• Thanks @Vital. Someone who was at the match was convinced that it was Darren England - more likely to have been running the line, I'd have thought, so perhaps he misread his programme. I wouldn't normally labour the point but he's one of those people who are never wrong, so thanks again. (I did have a look at pictures of Mr Breakspear on-line and, in recent pics, I could see that it was the same shaven-headed man I got a brief glimpse of on one of the highlights videos.)

• the referee was definitely Charles Breakspear, who was replacing the injured and newly promoted Darren England. Probably a good decision considering the physical nature of the game.

• edited August 2015

we have Mark Haywood not to be confused with Mark Heywood who sent off Matt McClure within seconds last season at Tranmere on Tuesday at Morecambe

• @micra FYI, Darren England will be the ref this Saturday against the Daggers.

• he will indeed, lets hope he has a good game.

• @Vital - many thanks for that - I'll pass it on to "he who knows everything". That's a bit unfair as he doesn't even have a cordless, let alone a mobile phone and he relies on 3CR and BFP for information. (Very good they both are now too.).
    Sadly, I shall miss the game on Saturday as we will be at a music festival in Pershore.