Skip to content

EFL Trophy boycott. its a yes from me.

Comments

• Your link does not appear to lead to anything relating to the thread title @Fit2drop.

• Link works for me. Its the BBC website confirming that Liverpool and Manchester United are fielding under 21 teams in the EFL Trophy.

• Whatever your views about this competition, the last thing our club needs at the moment is for people to find a reason not to attend games. We need every penny we can get.

• Fans haven't been attending those games for years

How many games do you get to per season?

• Now I know you're not directly linked to the club anymore @glasshalffull but while the club see this competition as one for squad rotation rather than a full first team it's a bit rich to ask people who support to act in any other way.

I am also sure those who can contribute more financially to the club do and with the 500 club now active have a good avenue to do so.

If you were to argue the players would like more support in this cup I'd be with you. To go down the purely financial angle is poor. Lets be honest. It's only the sponsorship money that is keeping this cup going

• It's a poor cup, but then the equivalent version of this cup was pretty rubbish anyway.
    If there's a chance to earn 50k for wins a couple of rounds in, that's pretty useful.

• If any club has no reserve side then surely a competition that enables fringe players to get game time is worthwhile? There is also some money to be made but perhaps that is seen as not important.

• Eric, I attended all but 3 home league games and 6 away last season. Glass 1/2 I fear this is the start of an attempt to allow the under 21 sides in to league 1 & 2 like I believe they have in Spain. I will not attend this competition nor MK away. Each to there own eh.

• I know that the club earned a tidy sum when we reached the final stages of this competition a couple of years ago and I know that Gareth found it useful for giving game time to the fringe players in his squad. People are entitled to ‘boycott’ any game they like and I’m sure that MK Dons will come into that category next season, I’m simply pointing out that any protest of this nature will hit the club in the pocket at a time when we badly need income.

• Most people seem to ‘boycott’ these games anyway through lack of interest.

• exactly - not like we used to pack in 5000+ when it was the Johnstone's Paint Trophy is it?

• I don't see not going as boycotting. More like supporter rotation.

• I am just trying to emphasise the extent of our financial problems. We are deep in the brown stuff so every penny counts and any attempt to discourage people from attending games- no matter how sincerely motivated-is going to have an adverse affect on the club.

• haven't you already said though that the money we get from that competition is from the prize money rather than ticket sales?

you mentioned the cash we made during our run to the semi finals a few years ago. As far as I recall no-one was going to the games then either.

On the franchise, my conscience is clear. I'm not depriving Wycombe of any money by not attending the away game, nor the home game as I've bought a season ticket. I would never attend a game involving them though, even if it did mean Wycombe missing out (eg an FA Cup tie)

• Interesting too you ' @glasshalffull ' focus on the financial aspect of not attending a game selected for squad rotation rather than a lowering in the atmosphere and support for the team.

Maybe, if cash is the primary goal, I should consider buying a ticket and not going? Does that work?

• I for one won’t be boycotting. It’s just denying the club gate receipts. Boycotting will not achieve anything

• Agree @TrueBlu - in addition to providing an opportunity to see fringe players, you also get to park practically right outside the ground for free

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Interesting too you ' @glasshalffull ' focus on the financial aspect of not attending a game selected for squad rotation rather than a lowering in the atmosphere and support for the team.

Maybe, if cash is the primary goal, I should consider buying a ticket and not going? Does that work?

Don’t know if you’re being serious or sarcastic but that would be a noble gesture and much appreciated by the club.

• If I were boycotting these fixtures so as to deprive the club of gate money your argument would be valid @glasshalffull. But I'm not, it's merely a side effect and I'd gladly put that money into the club another way (and have over the years).
    The reason to boycott the fixtures is to register disapproval of the way the competition is being used to allow teams to play their under 23s as a foot in the door to getting them intto the league.
    If we don't stand up to this now, it will happen in the future I'm certain.
    The actions of the FA/EFL/Premier League in detriment of the lower league teams has had a far more damaging effect on our finances. The reason they want to play their under 23s in this competition is because they have taken many of those very players away from being able to play for lower league teams in the first place. Sometimes there's a line to be drawn and for many this is it.

• @TrueBlu said:
    I for one won’t be boycotting. It’s just denying the club gate receipts. Boycotting will not achieve anything

I don't agree with your last sentence. Boycotting is the most effective thing fans can do as 'customers' (bleurgh!) to register dissatisfaction and bring about change through withdrawal of financial input. If fans continue to stay away, eventually the powers that be will be forced to stop arse covering and actually address that issue.

• @eric_plant said:

On the franchise, my conscience is clear. I'm not depriving Wycombe of any money by not attending the away game, nor the home game as I've bought a season ticket. I would never attend a game involving them though, even if it did mean Wycombe missing out (eg an FA Cup tie)

So get your money on a Wycombe v MK Dons Checkatrade (or whatever it’s called) final at Wembley now...

• @Onlooker said:
    Agree @TrueBlu - in addition to providing an opportunity to see fringe players, you also get to park practically right outside the ground for free

I enjoyed being able to park in the carpark and get out instantly at one of the games.

Another one I did pay a tenner on ifollow so at least the club got their £8 from that.
    1-0 down after about 2mins and a dreadful game aside, a good mutual benefit that one!

• @bookertease said:

@eric_plant said:

So get your money on a Wycombe v MK Dons Checkatrade (or whatever it’s called) final at Wembley now...

It'd be comedy watching a large number of people change their stance.
    "Well, I only said I wouldn't go to a game at their ground..."

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I don't see not going as boycotting. More like supporter rotation.

Fair play, that made me laugh

• I like the fact we get money from it but I have enough trouble getting to weeknight proper cup games to bother going to see City's under-12s at adams park. Not a boycott as such and as a shameless glory hunter I would go to the final!

• Since it's the Premier League who put up the prize money, in return for allowing U21 teams to participate, I feel we have benefited from their inclusion in recent years and would be grateful for a decent run this season.
    £10k for a win/£5k for a draw in round one, £20k for a win in round two, £40k for a win in round three, £50k for winning the quarter final...
    It would be stupid not to take this competition seriously in our current position.

• @Sherrinford said:
    Since it's the Premier League who put up the prize money, in return for allowing U21 teams to participate, I feel we have benefited from their inclusion in recent years and would be grateful for a decent run this season.
    £10k for a win/£5k for a draw in round one, £20k for a win in round two, £40k for a win in round three, £50k for winning the quarter final...
    It would be stupid not to take this competition seriously in our current position.

And there in one post is why football is eating itself.

Premier League first. Tick
    Grateful. Tick
    Money. Tick
    Money again. Tick

Is it impossible to think of this sport as an emotional rollercoaster of dreams, hopes and crushing dissapointments anymore?

• I thought crushing disappointment was the lot of a football fan in the main which is why more sensible people give it up when they realise their nervous systems/bank accounts/need for a purpose in life cannot take it...despite the OAP discount.

• I get where you’re coming from RITM and in a perfect world I might agree with you, but the brutal fact is that if we can’t raise a significant amount of cash from somewhere, the emotional rollercoaster that is WWFC could cease to exist sometime in the future.
    Your vision is idealistic, Sherrinford’s is realistic.

• Well I find the future really sad then. If I've followed it correctly the massive amount of money in our top league is stuck there and only leaves through the pockets of the players and the agents. Smaller clubs can't get it due to player contracts and youth team set ups.

The only part Wycombe can possibly hope for is to play a series of essentially money games against Premier League youngsters. These players used to be at clubs like Wycombe but are now part of an overly bloated top league youth system funded once more by the corporates.

The hopes and dreams of a proper lbig game against one of these millionaire clubs is now based on how much money we get rather than the memories from the game.

Forgive me for being idealistic but I think the football I love watching is dying due to the money and unless people actually have the courage to try to change it we are basically waiting for it all to end anyway.

We don't need more money if money in football actually had a real life value.