Skip to content

Doesn’t look very good for Bury

Comments

• I've seen his Twitter...fools constantly bring up Millie dowler which he can easily repost that it was not his paper (the mirror) which obviously did hack but nothing as heinous as Rupert 's boys. I cannot bear watching him though you have to admire the way he keeps just this side of that hideous katie racist who used to write in the mail. I assume like Clarkson he is right-wing for money (c Stewart lee) and like his beloved trump is thin skinned and believes having followers on Twitter means he is right.

• There is some pleasure watching him brutalise someone you disagree with.
    But utter annoyance when he won't let someone you agree with speak :)

He did get sacked by a paper for lying though didn't he? He's certainly not squeaky clean geezer.

• Yup...doctored pictures accusing British troops of abusing people in Iraq. He defends that by saying they DID abuse prisoners...while not acknowledging what he published was cobblers. And I think he was on thin ice with regard to hacking (especially as he had vaguely mentioned it in one of his books) but escaped...and again like Orange POTUS was 'totally vindicated' and cleared. Judging by his popularity things are looking better for him than Bury.

• If I turn ITV on in the morning and it's not him I'll turn it straight off. The aggravation level he provides is his appeal.

• Piers Morgan is a character piece. The real personality of the actor playing him his very different.

Any more news on Bury?

• Bury are having a protest tonight again. Seems the debt level is actually somewhere between £6m to £11M.

Liquidation seems likely.

You can also still get 5/2 on Bolton to go down which seems good value to me.

• Agree - difficult to see how Bury could hope to pay off £6/11m in any reasonable time frame; but would Pylmouth be reprieved? That would simply leave L2 one team short. Sorry if I'm missing something which has already been discussed.

• @Cyclops said:
    Agree - difficult to see how Bury could hope to pay off £6/11m in any reasonable time frame; but would Pylmouth be reprieved? That would simply leave L2 one team short. Sorry if I'm missing something which has already been discussed.

It seems to me the most sensible thing would be to have League One next year only have three relegation spots?

Otherwise you have to move Plymouth up to L1, and then move Notts County up to L2, and then Aldershot back to National League, and so on all the way down pyramid.

• Liquidation being you actually cease to be, rather than "administration" which is bad, but we all get a bit blase as they always get through it?

Why would you go with 23 teams, when they haven't even come close to creating fixtures yet? You'd simply rejig the teams around. You can't have a gap in the third tier, as if it was some minor non league!

• Despite not liking the idea of Plymouth back in L1 undeservedly, I have a feeling our club guardians would prefer it to the 23 team league, as the revenue gap of losing a home game would be worse than having to sit through Plymouth fans moaning about time wasting.

That being said, I really hope Bury survive!

• Pretty sure Plymouth fans said they'd never come to Adams Park again anyway.

• shame that someone at the bottom of the league gets to stay up rather than someone at the top of the league below who missed out. (fingers crossed)

• The 2018-19 football league season has now ended and therefore Bury are now officially a league 1 team and so if they were to be liquidated, there would be no reprieve for Plymouth. League 1 would become a 23 team division and there would only be 3 relegation spots, with the usual 4 up from division 2.

To balance the numbers, only 1 team would be relegated to the Conference.

Of course, from Wycombe’s point of view we would only have 22 home league games and presumably would be compensated for the ‘missing’ Bury match by the EFL.

The other point to consider is that with an odd numbered league, one team would start a week later than the others and perhaps more importantly one teams fixtures would end 1 week before all the others.

This could potentially lead to a scenario where two clubs playing each other on the last day can gerrymander a result to suit themselves at the expense of the team not playing on the last day but sadly that situation would appear unavoidable.

• @Dickie - that would make sense, but do we know for sure about the 23 team league? Is it in the EFL rules somewhere?

As far as the last problem, I am wondering if they could have the option to flex the schedule for the last two games, so that the team that fulfills it's fixtures first ends up being one in mid table security.

• Thanks @Dickie at what point should the clamour for a one game season ticket rebate begin? (unless the Power Group have already spent it...)

• Yes dickie is that based on anything? Or is that your opinion?
    Is there a precedent? Outside of lowly non league levels.

If there's no rule i can't seen a reason pre fixtures to go with 23.

If the fixtures were out, and we've all read how it's all inter related on many reasons, THEN youd have a major problem.

• Fixtures are out on 20th June, but apparently they're known internally a few days earlier - it sounds like the EFL will have to be confident in around two weeks that Bury will be able to fulfil their games.

• Well it’s based on my interpretation of the EFL’s rules on membership, yes I am that sad to have looked it up!!

Broadly translated it says that any team can give notice to resign their membership at the end of the season at any time, but there is also a section woolly worded admittedly relating to unexpected termination of membership which would be subject to an emergency meeting of the other teams affected, which I presume would be the other league 1 teams solely, rather than teams like Plymouth who would have a vested interest in the outcome.

My guess is that at an emergency meeting teams fearful of relegation would vote with the 23 team league and 3 relegated scenario and teams looking at the top end of the table would not be that fussed.

Not sure of a precedent, but were Rushden & Diamonds a league 1 team when they went bust?

• R&D were in the Conference (well, had been expelled from it) when it all came to an end for them.

• Bury's next court appearance over the winding up order is not scheduled to take place until less than 24 hours before the official release of the fixtures for next season. Whatever the outcome of the court case, I'm pretty sure it would be too late by then to rejig the fixture calendar to move teams from one division to another, given all the factors that need to be taken into account, consultation with police regarding dates to be avoided, etc.

• Perhaps the EFL will decide clubs should play Man City U23s instead.

Unthinkable 20 years ago, now just the slightly thinner end of the wedge.

• Here is what the EFL regulations actually state on this matter:

Regulation 12.2.3

"If a Club (or Clubs) ceases to be a member of The League for any reason ... during the period between the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs."

• Thanks Uncle T. That’s more conclusive than the regulations I was looking at!!

Of course, it would all be subject to a spurious legal challenge from Bristol Rovers if past history is anything to go by!!!

• The big disaster is obviously for the team affected and their fans. History just deleted just like that.

But it's a blow for everyone - all clubs lose revenue, a club is the "Odd one out" every week without a game - with possible awkward connotations at the business end like someone said earlier.

Hope Bury can sort this. Teams always sort it...right?

• Reading this link below, it doesn't sound as close to the end as i'd presumed reading this thread?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48445344

• If Bury get liquidated but a founder club replaces them soon after would they be back allowed in League One?

• There is at least one league that is starting next season with an odd number of sides. The Highland League was unable to identify a suitable team to replace Cove on their promotion, Berwick having been relegated to the Lowland League. That decision will be reviewed next year, by which time Cove may be back, Fort William may have given up, some other team might be found. League fixtures are already out.

• I dare say it happens fairly regularly the lower down the leagues you go.

It just seems mad if it happened in the third tier, as there's a string of competent teams to fill the gap, which there probably aren't lower down due to ground requirements, regional situations etc.

• Didn’t Dickie’s exact scenario happen to Maidstone(?) the year we finished second in the conference on goal difference?