Skip to content

Doesn’t look very good for Bury

Comments

• @DevC: I agree with @ValleyWanderer’s comment of 9.56 am. And I was surprised that anyone could take exception to your post by tapping the thumbs down “button”. Hyever, (as the great St Martin would have said), I would not be surprised if someone intended to give a thumbs up but hit the wrong “button”. On the tiny screen of an iPhone it is all too easy to do that, as I discovered half an hour ago when trying to cancel out the thumbs down. “Quote” turned pink and I assumed that the Facebook principle of cancelling a “like” by tapping it again would also apply here. It doesn’t. Not even when tapping it another couple of times. What does happen, as I found to my cost (timewise), is that the quoted post appears multiple times in the Post a Comment box! For a Dev length post it takes a very long time to delete (15-20 minutes). If anyone knows a quicker way than leaving the index finger on the ‘x’ button, I would be eternally grateful!

Apologies for the length and detail of this post and to anyone that could be arsed to read it all, please be very careful when tapping one or other of the thumbs.

• It is always a bit strange to see a perfectly innocuous post with a thumbs down. ( Now I am paranoid someone is going to dislike that innocuous statement...)

• Sorted @Shev (as well as the Dev one).

• And I can guess at least three of the thumbs down merchants.

• @Shev disgraceful post...I have thumbed it down.>

@Shev said:

It is always a bit strange to see a perfectly innocuous post with a thumbs down. ( Now I am paranoid someone is going to dislike that innocuous statement...)

• Well played all, well played.

• They thought it was all over!

• @DevC said:
    Everyone who posts on this board and everyone who sits on the trust board wants the best for Wycombe Wanderers.

It is very easy for us on this board to say the trust board should find more commercial revenue. Very rarely though do we see workable ideas. Very rarely too does there seem to be an acknowledgment that if finding more commercial revenue was reasonably achievable, the trust Board would surely have done their best to achieve it. why would they not - they want the same things as we do - success for WWFC.

Compared to other clubs of our level it seems to me we have a strong board - or at least did until Howard left. Andrew Howard's expertise was raising sponsorship funds for sports teams and love him or loathe him, Ivor beeks has decades of experience in football club management to learn from. I see no reason to believe that other lower league clubs generally have better knowledge than these guys.

we have a day to day chief exec in Michael Davies. none of us have information to fairly judge whether he does a good bad or indifferent job compared to his peers at other clubs.

@Richard_Cheese suggests that the evidence is that the club does nowhere near enough to maximise its assets but to be honest I havent seen that evidence (or to be fair evidence to the contrary).

The problem is easy to identify - lower league clubs have too high costs compared to their income but solutions are much harder to find. I read the Independent article on another thread that spent ages outlining problems but seemed to come up with no solutions at all.

its easy for us on this board to criticise the trust board. I am sure they would accept they are not perfect and make mistakes. But perhaps we should remember that anyone can stand for that board if they think they can do better. Yet even at the height of the recent criticism from one or two on this forum there was an election for the Trust Board with insufficient candidates to require a vote. I am sure the Trust board are doing the best they can. if no-one else is prepared to stand up and say I can do better, than perhaps we should just be grateful to those who have and are doing a difficult job on our behalf.

@DevC The evidence was that clubs of a similar size or smaller clubs further down the pyramid have many more commercial partnerships than us. Admittedly, this evidence is fairly flimsy as I don't know the value of these deals, but the disparity in volume is striking nonetheless. Also (and has probably been pointed out before), you only need to look around Adams Park on a match day to find some evidence; out of date posters in the bogs, empty corporate boxes etc.

Not sure if my post came across as overly-critical of the Trust. Certainly not my intention. And I wouldn't criticise individuals in an open forum which is where your post veered off to. As my delayed thread references, I have the utmost(!) respect for the Trust and the army of volunteers who give selflessly to the Club. I've witnessed Michael Davies several times on match days working damned hard and have no doubt he's effective in his role. It is only an opinion but I'm convinced commercial revenue could be increased significantly and suspect it is a lack of resourcing that hampers the club.

Anyhow, delighted to see the club advertise for a Commercial Sales Exec this morning. Sort of role I'd have relished back in the day.

• @DevC said:
    Everyone who posts on this board and everyone who sits on the trust board wants the best for Wycombe Wanderers.

It is very easy for us on this board to say the trust board should find more commercial revenue. Very rarely though do we see workable ideas. Very rarely too does there seem to be an acknowledgment that if finding more commercial revenue was reasonably achievable, the trust Board would surely have done their best to achieve it. why would they not - they want the same things as we do - success for WWFC.

Compared to other clubs of our level it seems to me we have a strong board - or at least did until Howard left. Andrew Howard's expertise was raising sponsorship funds for sports teams and love him or loathe him, Ivor beeks has decades of experience in football club management to learn from. I see no reason to believe that other lower league clubs generally have better knowledge than these guys.

we have a day to day chief exec in Michael Davies. none of us have information to fairly judge whether he does a good bad or indifferent job compared to his peers at other clubs.

@Richard_Cheese suggests that the evidence is that the club does nowhere near enough to maximise its assets but to be honest I havent seen that evidence (or to be fair evidence to the contrary).

The problem is easy to identify - lower league clubs have too high costs compared to their income but solutions are much harder to find. I read the Independent article on another thread that spent ages outlining problems but seemed to come up with no solutions at all.

its easy for us on this board to criticise the trust board. I am sure they would accept they are not perfect and make mistakes. But perhaps we should remember that anyone can stand for that board if they think they can do better. Yet even at the height of the recent criticism from one or two on this forum there was an election for the Trust Board with insufficient candidates to require a vote. I am sure the Trust board are doing the best they can. if no-one else is prepared to stand up and say I can do better, than perhaps we should just be grateful to those who have and are doing a difficult job on our behalf.

Only just read this post and although DevC seems to be the pantomime villain on the gasroom, I have to say that I agree with every word.

• edited May 2019

I for one usually really enjoy reading anything @DevC posts. They are always well articulated, whether one agrees with every post or not.

• I agree @Shev. And they always give plenty of food for thought.

• Aww shucks.............

Thanks guys. Mutual respect to all three.

Back to football....

• Like war and peace I know I should read all of @devc output, but often get confused after the first two paragraphs.

• So does he.

• @drcongo said:
    So does he.

A bit harsh on our universally esteemed Planning expert!

• edited May 2019

Word going around that Bury are now closed until further notice

• If true, I assume Plymouth avoid the drop.

• @mooneyman said:
    If true, I assume Plymouth avoid the drop.

• Hopefully Bury get reprieved in the 9th minute of added time.

• @OxfordBlue Wow, that's low.

• Surely no true football fan would wish this on another club*? I enjoyed immensely watching Plymouth get relegated but I certainly wouldn’t want them to cease to exist were they to find themselves in Bury’s situation.

*One obvious exception, but ‘they’ shouldn’t exist in the first place.

• Yes it's ever so slightly rough to wish a club to cease to be, just so you can move one division!
    But then it will be the goon element wishing it.

If Bury survive, and like Bolton have a -12 start, then that helps us, and we'll take it, but we certainly wouldn't wish it on clubs!

• And I thought Plymouth would be relieved at not having to play tinpot clubs like us again...

• I'd genuinely hate to see any club other than Franchise go to the wall but there must be fans of L2 clubs who played within their financial means and missed out on promotion who will see this as karma of a kind.

• edited May 2019

Bury and Bolton are also technically each other's main rival (I believe), but rarely meet owing to Bolton being so much more successful recently. What a sad and bizarre way to (hopefully) renew the rivalry!

I would not wish this on anyone either, in agreement with the above posts. Most fans are pretty normal, and it is pretty terrible to wish clubs to go to the wall, or even enter administration, and bring misery to those fans, in addition to the players and staff. As @Malone said, if two clubs start on -12 and it helps us, so be it, but I will be hoping they both survive and thrive in the future.

• It's classic trolling isn't it? Have a look what the consensus is and purposely take an angry strident opposite view. It's made piers Morgan a millionaire. I saw five minutes of the last episode game of thrones it is crap...cue wailing and gnashing. That's a paper column and a portion of GMB sorted. Kerching!

• I hope both survive albeit on -12 points and argyle have a terrible season trying to avoid the drop.

• @Wendoverman , Piers Morgan is a hilarious watch.
    Harangues some poor sap who is under the wrong impression that they'll get their say, and pressurises them into saying something too quickly, and then he'll just bark their misspoken quote back at them, as if to render anything else nonsense by association.

I saw one the other day where he was hassling some "vegan" who did eat eggs, but only when she knew where they'd come from.
    She accidentally said something like if she "Knew" the chicken, and he pounced, kept barking that back at her, and it was over as a debate.

It must be hard for anyone who gets gnarled by him not to get personal and bring up the scandalous phone hacking on his watch.

ps hang on which forum is this again? Is this not mumsnet?

• Dear god.