Skip to content

Le retour au stade des trois côtés - Oxford (a) - crowd speculation - Match 39 - Sat 30.03.19

Comments

• 8,491 including 1,823 Wycombe

• 8,301 with 1,860 Chairboys.

• 7777 including 1818 of us

• Sad I cannot make it myself but fantastic to be taking so many to Oxford. Bring back the points people.

• I often peak in this forum because I live in Thame and know a number of your fanbase.
    What Oxford fans really mean is there is no edge. There has never been any issues between us, nothing decisive hanging on a result between our clubs. As a result whilst we are close, and by that definition that is a local derby, it means little to either team other than on the day. Your rivalry is with Colchester, ours is with Sw**don, that's in our blood, our dna, we are taught to dislike them from the beginning, its handed down from parent to child. We know it, they know it. If you find that offensive that's why I suspect we will never be rivals.

As I said I live in Thame so obviously know many of your fans. Your just nice, nobody can dislike nice and to have some rivalry there is always more that close proximity. If you understand that you will understand why we don't regard you as rivals. Relegate us and that might change. There has to be an edge otherwise we will always regard you as a nice friendly place to go, no fear, no worries, just a fun day out. When we go to Sw**don there is tension in the air everybody in the ground feels it, knows it. That is true rivalry. No point in pretending that Saturday is anything other than another game between two clubs that happen to be close and in the same relegation battle. In all seriousness I hope we both stay up and live to have a nice day out again.

• I think that's pretty fair. It is a derby, no matter what some Oxford fans may think and personally it's a game I always look forward to. But whilst there is a rivalry, it doesn't have the edge of a match against a bitter rival. Compared to games we've had against Col Utd down the years and in more recent times Bristol Rovers, this is a much more friendly affair.

There's always plenty of banter both ways though. They love to call us 'tinpot' which I find amusing, as I really don't see them as a much bigger club than us. Similar size fan base, similar size grounds and similar history of non league and more recently bouncing between the lower divisions. And we like to call them the PNL' s after their recent spell back in non league. All good fun, but both sets of fans will be desperate to win on Saturday.

• I couldn't feel any more neutral about Oxford United. They are fine.

• @Oufc67 said:
    I often peak in this forum because I live in Thame and know a number of your fanbase.
    What Oxford fans really mean is there is no edge. There has never been any issues between us, nothing decisive hanging on a result between our clubs. As a result whilst we are close, and by that definition that is a local derby, it means little to either team other than on the day. Your rivalry is with Colchester, ours is with Sw**don, that's in our blood, our dna, we are taught to dislike them from the beginning, its handed down from parent to child. We know it, they know it. If you find that offensive that's why I suspect we will never be rivals.

As I said I live in Thame so obviously know many of your fans. Your just nice, nobody can dislike nice and to have some rivalry there is always more that close proximity. If you understand that you will understand why we don't regard you as rivals. Relegate us and that might change. There has to be an edge otherwise we will always regard you as a nice friendly place to go, no fear, no worries, just a fun day out. When we go to Sw**don there is tension in the air everybody in the ground feels it, knows it. That is true rivalry. No point in pretending that Saturday is anything other than another game between two clubs that happen to be close and in the same relegation battle. In all seriousness I hope we both stay up and live to have a nice day out again.

So what we need is a real good 4-4 draw, two red cards apiece, pitch invasion and a scrap in the car park.

• You’ve certainly “peaked” on this forum this evening @Oufc67. Excellent post. And I’m sure there are many like you amongst the Oxford fans. Sadly, for health reasons and because I find it frustrating that so many people seem to find it necessary to stand up at regular intervals, I shall not be there on Saturday but it’s great that the best part of 2000 fans from our tinpot club will be making a major contribution towards what will undoubtedly be a great atmosphere. May the better side win as they say.

Keep having a peek @Oufc67 ! It was good to hear from you.

• Friday morning and so far 16 actual predictions.

We say:

Average for Total Crowd: 8160
    Average for Light n' Dark Blue Army 1568

Obviously the Light n' Dark Blue Army is going to be bigger than that with close to 1650 sold on Weds. Anyone can alter their prediction to increase the number of Wycombe fans so long as you don't change the forecast for the total - ie you can change Oxford fans to Wycombe fans. @micra has already taken advantage of the rule.

At the moment we are saying that we will have about 20% of the crowd.

Stay up the Blues.

• 8345 including 1833 Wycombe

• Can I revise my away prediction to 1,810 please Steve?

• 8100 (1831 away)

• Can anyone remember from memory if Oxford stewards try and force people to sit in their allocated seats?

There is a large group of us who booked earlier this week and one late straggler wants to buy one and sit with us...

• I don’t think it’s a case of “try and force”. With the away allocation sold out (or very nearly) imagine the chaos if people didn’t sit in their allocated seats. Let’s hope common sense prevails.

• @micra said:
    I don’t think it’s a case of “try and force”. With the away allocation sold out (or very nearly) imagine the chaos if people didn’t sit in their allocated seats. Let’s hope common sense prevails.

I think you’re right. Will advise him to give it a miss!

• 8913 with 1777 jangling tin pots

• I don't imagine that the 'lads' will attempt to sit in their allocated seats. They'll most likely roll up at 2.55, and, finding that there's no space at the back, will go down the front and stand the whole game, blocking the view of everyone down the front.

• Isn't it actually better if people DON'T sit in their allocated seats, simply because some want to stand, and some want to sit? Let those who want to stand move behind those who want to sit and that's a problem solved no? I think if anyone thinks that everyone is going to sit / stand in their correct spots then they're set up for a disappointment!

• Agreed @Brownie. Causes more problems than it solves. I remember at Northampton the play off year, it was utter carnage when the stewards insisted on everyone taking their purchased seats. Let the bun fight commence.

• You can only get an FA Cup ticket if you sit down.

• 8486, 1817 away

• This will be our largest away league following since Orange Day on 22/09/2001, when we took 2711 to Reading.

Next largest are both Oxford, 1796 on 09/04/2011 and 1690 on 01/11/2014.

• I'm not planning on sitting in the allocated seats. For various seasons, our group of seven got tickets in three batches, which means we won't be able to sit together otherwise. And non-allocated seating allows like-minded fans to sit with others more similar to them i.e. an old-young divide

• @WanderingDays said:
    I'm not planning on sitting in the allocated seats. For various seasons, our group of seven got tickets in three batches, which means we won't be able to sit together otherwise. And non-allocated seating allows like-minded fans to sit with others more similar to them i.e. an old-young divide

What happens if a group of 7 who did block book can’t all sit together because everyone else is sat in smaller groups?

I suspect given the complete sell out you could be forced to move.

• Why do I have a sneaky feeling I know what the gasroom will be focusing on after the game?

• @OxfordBlue said:

@WanderingDays said:
    I'm not planning on sitting in the allocated seats. For various seasons, our group of seven got tickets in three batches, which means we won't be able to sit together otherwise. And non-allocated seating allows like-minded fans to sit with others more similar to them i.e. an old-young divide

What happens if a group of 7 who did block book can’t all sit together because everyone else is sat in smaller groups?

On the same token though, if everyone heads to the seats they are allocated and you are sat directly behind most of the standing / singing lot and they want to stand, albeit in their allocated seats, are you okay with that? Not sure it can work both ways... All the same, here's hoping for a cracking atmosphere and game to match!

• @Brownie said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@WanderingDays said:

On the same token though, if everyone heads to the seats they are allocated and you are sat directly behind most of the standing / singing lot and they want to stand, albeit in their allocated seats, are you okay with that? Not sure it can work both ways... All the same, here's hoping for a cracking atmosphere and game to match!

I’d rather stand but if I can’t without blocking someone else’s view I’ll be respectful and sit...

Unless my view is then blocked by the person in front.

The circle of life.

• I know 1,850 is the final number of tickets sold, but is there not a decent chance more actual seats than that will be available, depending on whereabouts they put the segregation?

• Always forced to sit where allocated at Oxford