Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Come on Tommy let it go lad its been quite a while since the final whistle.....

• @mooneyman said:
    It wasn't mud it was shit!

Yeah it smelt like it, sort of blended in with the atmos

• @bigred87 said:
    Come on Tommy let it go lad its been quite a while since the final whistle.....

You’re right I just don’t like being cheated out of my time and money and wasting the kids Saturday, won’t happen again nite nite

• With a husband that is from the city and an avid Argyle supporter to boot, Michelle knows the Pilgrims well and shares her thoughts on the season so far and just where the Pilgrims can go this season.

Need one say more.

• Hard not to warm to @tommytynan01. He is unusual among teenagers insofar as he respects his mum’s wisdom.

I’ve come late to the table and have only skimmed quickly though the plethora of childish exchanges. The beautiful game was very much in evidence until half time and considerably more representative of our performances this season than the uglier backs to the wall style we were dragged into for most of the second half.

Takes two to tango.

• @tommytynan01
    Are you still here?

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't think I've ever witnessed a phenomenon like the collective mental breakdown suffered by Plymouth manager and fans every time we play them

It makes it so easy for us to beat them it's untrue. Which obviously makes it even funnier.

I'm continually amazed that Derek Adams is still employed as a football manager. He just seems so bereft of the mental strength required it makes him completely unsuitable for the role

Post of the day!

• edited January 2019

@tommytynan01 said:
    According to the beeb Wycombe have had an added 48 mins in the last 6 games an average of 8 mins per game, miles more than the league one average, so we’re not the only club you indulge your systematic cheating on. Ainsworth post match reckons Plymouth are a “good side” who will “soon be flying up the league “ which explains though of course doesn’t excuse the cheating

I should obey the sensible suggestion made elsewhere to move on, but a salient and interesting point occurs as I reread the barrack-room moralist's post:

Of the last six games he cites, we've won three and lost three. We were ahead for about one minute of one of the wins (Doncaster) and never ahead in any of the losses.

If the note about added time suggests anything, and I suspect it's nothing more than variance without looking into it more closely, it is that we are not alone in tending to attempt to slow down a game when ahead.

• My final point on this (I promise): there’s nothing in the laws of association football that insists the home team is obliged to entertain the away team’s supporters.

• Just remember Plymouth are a big club who should have a God given right to play in the Premier League Oh look at the league table ! Haven't seen a team so outplayed at AP this season as their star studied eleven were in the first half .

• Might have to turn this thread into a novel, a thing of beauty.

• Given that for 75% of the people attending yesterday the highest form of entertainment is watching that dislikable hypocrite Adams go into one, it is impossible to conclude that the overall entertainment value was anything other than excellent.

• I don’t know if that was a record for the number of posts saying the more or less the same thing or for the length of time on here complaining about a defeat. Where’s Ross McWhirter when you need him.

• @bookertease said:
    Given that for 75% of the people attending yesterday the highest form of entertainment is watching that dislikable hypocrite Adams go into one, it is impossible to conclude that the overall entertainment value was anything other than excellent.

PMSL!!!

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I don’t know if that was a record for the number of posts saying the more or less the same thing or for the length of time on here complaining about a defeat. Where’s Ross McWhirter when you need him.

Sadly now comparing stop watches with Norris.

• Jeez, they won't leave it alone will they! In fairness there is a debate to be had in all this (one we've had before a few times) and I would rather we didn't have this reputation, even if it is in my opinion slightly exaggerated.

The feigning injury accusation though seems Harsh to me. 2nd half there was a lengthy stoppage for treatment to JJ for what was a clear and very nasty elbow to the face and then 2 stoppages towards the end when Alsop was clattered. It's subjective surely to suggest Allsop was faking it, only he can know that. What was clear, was that he was on the receiving end of 2 very heavy foul challenges. And can we be sure that Carey was genuinely injured in the 1st half by JJ? Many around me thought there was little or no contact made.

Very shoddy and biased journalism!

• Carey was minimal contact if any. There was a plan to get rid of jj directed from the bench.

• Problem they have now is that they have to say all the rest of the teams that beat them for the rest of this season did it fairly and squarely and they are proud to.lose against non cheating sides.

• Entertaining though this thread is, I would completely support a stop clock and moving to a 60 minute game. Time wasting is everywhere and never dealt with by the officials. As we’ve learnt (many times over) in the last couple of seasons, late winners/equalisers are truly something to savour. In too many games the trailing side has almost nil chance of getting a goal back in the final 10 minutes because the ball is only in play for a third of that time.

While I’m more than happy for us to use it to our advantage when leading, it is immensely irritating in reverse and does detract from the overall quality of the game.

• I’ve heard far worse than that. I hadn’t noticed the extent of the “time management” by Ryan Allsop claimed by many Plymouth fans (and acknowledged by several of ours) and only he can know the severity of the back pain he appeared to suffer from the first of the two fouls on him.
    What I did notice at the time was that the guys who had been treating him chose to walk slowly across the pitch afterwards rather than step across the goal line.

The journalist acknowledged Wycombe’s first half superiority and accepted that we could have been further ahead. It was also fair comment to describe the second half as ‘niggly’.

• All teams do it but I have to admit as other posters have said Plymouth were there for the taking so I would have preferred we had been a tad more positive. Luckily we don't watch that every week though once the screen is fixed surely the media team can edit up a sequence of red-faced footballing genius Derek Adams in the dugout to be played at every game to entertain the children.

• Jeez 60 mins with the ball in play! I’d still be at Sadams Park now !

• Welcome back Tommy. You really can’t let it go, can you. I’m off now to do a hand’s turn.

• But, before I go, may I just say how nice it is to have an away fan taking such a keen interest in our beloved football club.

• @micra said:
    Welcome back Tommy. You really can’t let it go, can you. I’m off now to do a hand’s turn.

You dirty boy

• I now realise how Tommy felt on Saturday. I got in from work last night at 11 and just checked out the gasroom before heading to bed. When I saw 125 new comments I thought blimey what’s going on here and sat down to read them. A full 45 minutes later I was up to date.

Sadly, I will never get that time back either.

To paraphrase for anyone to save them going through the same purgatory I did, Tommy is really really really really really cross, his mother had Wycombe’s timewasting in mind when she told him that cheats never prosper Tommy is never going to visit our at the end of an industrial estate lego built stadium again and finally that Tommy is not actually angry for himself but for the children he brought with him.

• .......the end

• .......or the beginning of the end?

• @micra said:
    I’ve heard far worse than that. I hadn’t noticed the extent of the “time management” by Ryan Allsop claimed by many Plymouth fans (and acknowledged by several of ours) and only he can know the severity of the back pain he appeared to suffer from the first of the two fouls on him.
    What I did notice at the time was that the guys who had been treating him chose to walk slowly across the pitch afterwards rather than step across the goal line.

The journalist acknowledged Wycombe’s first half superiority and accepted that we could have been further ahead. It was also fair comment to describe the second half as ‘niggly’.

Forgive me if I’m wrong Micra, but I think you may be confusing the reporter who did the piece to camera, which was a lot more balanced than the written report, which was anything but.