Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Excellent win yesterday should have been 3-0 against one of the poorer sides we’ve seen this season

• @Adethegreen , with the greatest respect, surely it must be evident to even the most boneheaded human being (and as a fellow resident of your city, we must both know Plymouth is not short of them) that when a goalkeeper is being carried off on a stretcher screaming in pain after 30 minutes with no real replacement on the bench, he is very unlikely to be “feigning injury”.

• @Adethegreen said:
    Adams talks a better game than he manages

And he is pretty bad at talking.

• Also was he not making his full league debut? (He had played in the play offs the season before) bit hard for him to have earnt himself such a negative reputation already.

• DevC, i’m talking about feigning injury in general and in specifics, it was not apparent immediately that he was injured to the point he was eventually. Whilst you will not admit this (even to yourself) there was no booing once your keeper was on the stretcher. As for Adams having anything to say, bollocks, the ambulance is parked in the far corner from your area of the stand so wouldn’t have to go anywhere near Adams to vacate him to the local hospital.
    I still maintain that in the same way that some players get a reputation for diving, some players and teams do get a reputation for feigning. It’s unfortunate but I do not believe we are the only team that believes this. To say we are ignores what could lead to unfortunate instances.

• A personal favourite from their forum:

"Awful tactics from Wycombe, truly awful. I pity their club actually. Small minded non-league type of mentality. Cheating all the way through. Their players/management are London/Counties types much like the chav Ainsworth himself. I read once or twice that they passed us off the park in the 1st half? They do not play any football from what I can see. In fact, name me one talented player in their attacking ranks that makes you say wow or that would be considered as a top player at this level? Not a patch on Carey or Lamieras. Their whole team is full of PCH types, League 2 footballers (at best) who make up for their lack of ability with endeavour (and gamesmanship obviously). All they did was ping long balls up to Akinfenwa.

But eventually this will all catch up with them. One day something will happen like a fan running onto the pitch to attack a player or something. They won't be such a cocky small minded little club then. Even their captain on twitter (who did his best to waste as much time going off the field as possible) 'great atmosphere at Adams Park as usual'. I can't remember the last time I saw such a timid, quiet home support. All the noise from almost one quarter of the total attendance, that being the Argyle fans. Absolute dross that football club."

Lovely stuff.

• No sorry @Adethegreen, that is completely untrue. The poor lad was carried along the touch line on a stretcher in front of the home supporters and received dogs abuse the whole way along.
    It was utterly shameful.
    As I recall repeated the next season when another player was stretchered off along the same touch line and received the same abuse. I can only assume the residents of Swilly think that is OK.

• edited January 2019

@tommytynan01 One of your problems that appears to be symptomatic throughout the majority of your fan base, (also to be fair, most others), is your blindness to what ever is in front of you.
    You need to blame everything but yourselves, you have very short memories, for example, the way your fans behaved towards our goalkeeper accusing of time wasting tactics, when the injury received effectively finished his professional career just 17 minutes into the game. The fact that Derek Adams appears to fall out with many other managers in L1 & 2. The fact that Carey used those same "dark arts" to get our left back booked, when he genuinely wasn't touched, it happened a yard in front of me and the lino who was very close didn't see the need to flag. Adams ignoring Careys' attempt to rake his studs down JJs' leg right in front of the Argyle dug out.
    Yes we do use the "dark arts" as it has become commonly known, but as for the accusation that it's every game, then you are deluded. The facts speak for themselves, we have scored more goals than you, we are higher in the league by some points margin, we haven't achieved that by "cheating" every game, as your fans forum keep repeating.
    Possibly, you need to focus on what is happening at your football club and put that right, I believe it would be a far more successful formula and stop seeing "smaller fan bases" as tin pot/village pub teams, as a God given right to collect three points. Let's be honest, your recent history suggests that you are bouncing between leagues 1 and two, rather like us.

• edited January 2019

I love how opposition fans feel the need to keep reminding us that we're a small club. Are we supposed to be ashamed of the fact or something? I've never understood the use of that as an insult. Just another coping mechanism when they know they're wrong I suppose.

• "One day something will happen like a fan running onto the pitch to attack a player or something"

Happened away at Gillingham a few seasons ago didn't it - live on telly. Think Jordan Archer was the player involved.

• My memory of that is different from yours. I can’t say i’ve ever heard a player booed on a stretcher.

• You see it’s a bit like the boy who cries wolf your keeper got bundled over by Freddie yesterday and went into rivaldo like spasms on the ground clutching his back and screaming. After he got his 4 minutes delay he jumped up grinning and thumbs up to the argyle fans. I’m fact he did the same again later as well as checking his studs at least 100 times and at the end of 1 delay kicking the ball into the other half so the ball boy had to retrieve it to get a few more seconds. At the final whistle ainsworth rushed over to him in congratulations, well done thanks to you the ball was only in play for 20 mins in the 2nd half. You know it was pathetic embarrassing and pretty disgusting and in the long term noone will watch that cheating shite . I won’t go to Sadams park again tho I will be at Peterborough next week where I’m pretty sure I’ll see 90 minutes of entertaining football

• Apart from Adams, I actually quite liked Plymouth... but after all this nonsense they are coming out with I'm not sure anymore ?!

Talk about green tinted spectacles !

Have none of them bothered reading the messages on here... were not like that every week, we score goals, and plenty of them

• @tommytynan01 said:
    You see it’s a bit like the boy who cries wolf your keeper got bundled over by Freddie yesterday and went into rivaldo like spasms on the ground clutching his back and screaming. After he got his 4 minutes delay he jumped up grinning and thumbs up to the argyle fans. I’m fact he did the same again later as well as checking his studs at least 100 times and at the end of 1 delay kicking the ball into the other half so the ball boy had to retrieve it to get a few more seconds. At the final whistle ainsworth rushed over to him in congratulations, well done thanks to you the ball was only in play for 20 mins in the 2nd half. You know it was pathetic embarrassing and pretty disgusting and in the long term noone will watch that cheating shite . I won’t go to Sadams park again tho I will be at Peterborough next week where I’m pretty sure I’ll see 90 minutes of entertaining football

Yet again you ignore the same tactics employed by Carey. Your myopia gives you no credibility I'm afraid.

• HolmerBlue, you seem to admit that you were scared of Argyle which is a shame because when you’ve been at home park, on most occasions you would do us without the need for play acting. Why you couldn’t put us to the sword yesterday after we were so poor in the first 45 is a mystery.
    IF, you play with more abandon against others why not against us?

• Then you are in denial of reality @Adethegreen. It was utterly shameful not once but twice. One of your supporters tried to justify the abuse of a fellow human being in agony of a stretcher as “just a bit of banter. He would probably have enjoyed it”. I disagree.

• @Adethegreen said:
    HolmerBlue, you seem to admit that you were scared of Argyle which is a shame because when you’ve been at home park, on most occasions you would do us without the need for play acting. Why you couldn’t put us to the sword yesterday after we were so poor in the first 45 is a mystery.

No idea... perhaps it's just funny against you lot because it winds your tosser of a manager up so much ??

• @Adethegreen said:
    HolmerBlue, you seem to admit that you were scared of Argyle which is a shame because when you’ve been at home park, on most occasions you would do us without the need for play acting. Why you couldn’t put us to the sword yesterday after we were so poor in the first 45 is a mystery.

I believe the second half change of bringing on Ryan Taylor and going hoof ball, by-passing the midfield, (exactly the same tactics we were accused of employing on your forum), would be the likely reason. I have to give Adams the credit for that, which then turned the game in to the "war of attrition" which it became.

• That Plymouth post found by WWFCAE above is truly astonishing on every level. If endeavour alone gets you 41 points, bring it on. We played some excellent football in this first half and defended really well in the second half. And as for that ‘chav’ Ainsworth, he comes from Preston which the last time I looked was a little way further north than London and the Home Counties.

• @tommytynan01 said:
    You see it’s a bit like the boy who cries wolf your keeper got bundled over by Freddie yesterday and went into rivaldo like spasms on the ground clutching his back and screaming. After he got his 4 minutes delay he jumped up grinning and thumbs up to the argyle fans. I’m fact he did the same again later as well as checking his studs at least 100 times and at the end of 1 delay kicking the ball into the other half so the ball boy had to retrieve it to get a few more seconds. At the final whistle ainsworth rushed over to him in congratulations, well done thanks to you the ball was only in play for 20 mins in the 2nd half. You know it was pathetic embarrassing and pretty disgusting and in the long term noone will watch that cheating shite . I won’t go to Sadams park again tho I will be at Peterborough next week where I’m pretty sure I’ll see 90 minutes of entertaining football

You'd better hope Darren Ferguson gets some time on the training ground, if you think you'll not see dark arts against a Steve Evans team you are mental. I particularly love the comments about Bayo as anyone giving an even vaguely balanced view of the game acknowledged that A) you resorted to hoofing in the second half and B) your team craps themselves whenever he plays them whoever that has been for. Various people on your forum sugesting you should have signed him.

Anyway on to the Blackpool game , another stable, well run club....

• All the better for us then. You won but you didn’t do any damage to our poor GD anyway. You guys should have stormed us.

• I must applaud the regular gasroomers who have have systematically dismantled the ridiculous arguments made by opposition fans who have got nothing else better to do than post lazy half baked comments on our forum. They should be embarrassed for such a massive club who were in the top half of the championship as little as 10 years ago are now yo-yoing between league 1and 2. I for one couldn’t give a toss weather @Adethegreen
    @tommytynan01 or any other salty argyle ever graced us with their presence again. Anyway well done to GA for another master class in how to deal with that horrible little man from north of the border.

• @Adethegreen said:

Can I just add and i’m sorry if this is misconstrued, however, the previous incident with your young goalkeeper is so very unfortunate and we all should have feelings for a career ended too soon but this is the danger of feigning injury. If it occurs too often in too many instances it could lead to someone having a serious injury and other players pulling at him to stand up as been seen often enough to know it happens. It also means that fans do not show the correct behaviour when this happens and booing ensues. I’m sure fans and players alike would prefer that if someone says they’re injured they can be relied on to be genuine.
    For this reason and this reason only, feigning injury should be banned and rules applied so there is punishment for those attempting it.

OK - I get the gist of your argument - but a goalkeeper being carried off on a stretcher can be construed as feigning injury?

• @Adethegreen said:
    All the better for us then. You won but you didn’t do any damage to our poor GD anyway. You guys should have stormed us.

Well we damaged it by 1.

• @Adethegreen I do think the howling wind and torrential rain played it's part yesterday. It was difficult for either side to get the ball down and play in that. The 2nd half yesterday was ugly, I think that's the one thing we can all agree on (maybe)

• @Adethegreen said:
    All the better for us then. You won but you didn’t do any damage to our poor GD anyway. You guys should have stormed us.

I’m not sure the Plymouth goal difference is any of our concern. And in any case, the goal difference of every game added up over the entire season is worth less than one point - it shouldn’t be the top of anyone’s priorities.

• There was never any bitterness between us and Argyle before Adams became manager, was there, not even after the play-off semis; it's really stemmed from him. Not surprising that fans of plenty of other clubs seem to hold him in equally low esteem.

• Carlos Valderrama, can’t remember which World Cup but it has happened.

I’m not for one minute saying he was feigning of course, but persistent exponents for wasting a few seconds will not get immediate acceptance that it is genuine.

DevC, I continue to disagree though as I am further towards the ambulance exit at Home Park you may have heard something I didn’t. I certainly did not hear any booing at the end I was.

• Lloyd, you won so it’s obvious you’d have to have one. That’s a gimme along with the three points. Could have been so so much worse though.

• Braywanderer, that’s what administration does for you.