Skip to content

The FA have gone mad.

I cannot believe that the FA have put Aylesbury FC in this position. It is farcical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46905935

Comments

• They've had 5 years notice...

• Fair point @WestLondonWanderer - I just wish the football authorities were as brave to the Oystons and Sisus of this world as they are to the Aylesburys. I know we are talking about FA v EFL, but it's funny how much more important a fit and proper changing room is than a fit and proper owner.

• @WestLondonWanderer fair point, but a lot of non-league clubs are run on subs from the players and donations from local businessmen. They are regularly in a worse financial state than we are and , whilst not running up the losses that we do each year, do not have access to the gate receipts we get every other week.
    This could put some non-league clubs out of business.......now what if it was Wycombe not Aylesbury FC

• Easier to justify your salary by making life difficult for clubs who don't have a team of top lawyers at their disposal.

• Was hearing about this yesterday from an Aylesbury fan. Seems a real shame that an FA pulling in billions are punishing teams over an amount of money that is massive to the club but inconsequential to the FA.

• Is there anything in the FA's rules about how close the changing rooms need to be to the pitch? Maybe someone with a lockup 20 miles away could help out.

• Seems harsh, but if you don't enforce set rules such as these, there would be no point in them being in the Rule book.

Aylesbury are probably going to get relegated due to their form on the field so not as disastrous as it could be.

• Doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me, given the 5 years notice period and option of applying for 70% of funding for the work. Not enormously different to clubs having to meet seating and safety requirements to enter/stay in specific leagues is it?

• Have you ever tried getting a builder to do anything in a five year timescale?

• 30% could still be tens of thousands if changing rooms were under a main stand for example

• What is ridiculous is a place the size of Aylesbury having 2 teams !

• Surely every stadium must have standards to adhere to, commensurate to the level at which they're playing? Given that relegation/non-promotion is what is used in relation to other stadium standards, in this particular situation, I can't really see what more the FA could have done. I'd just like to make it clear, I am far from an FA apologist!

• @HolmerBlue said:
    What is ridiculous is a place the size of Aylesbury having 2 teams !

I know both will want to preserve their history, but I agree. If they combined you'd feel they could have a real crack at moving higher up the pyramid.

• Why can't Aylesbury have two clubs? Is it what level they play at?
    Any two clubs could merge. Why does it seem easier for some to suggest these two? Why not the two Oxford teams for example?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Why can't Aylesbury have two clubs? Is it what level they play at?
    Any two clubs could merge. Why does it seem easier for some to suggest these two? Why not the two Oxford teams for example?

Think Oxford City might beat Utd on current form.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Why can't Aylesbury have two clubs? Is it what level they play at?

Try and calm down. I'm not saying they aren't allowed two clubs.

The difference between Oxford United and Oxford City is they play at very different levels. Aylesbury's teams on the other hand don't, but I feel a town of that size could support a club in perhaps the Conference National.

• They may be in the same league now but have only been so for the past 4 or so years

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wonder if they would combine names and then indicate in their name they had joined together. They could be Aylesbury United and Aylesbury United.

• In honour of (one of) their former name(s) they could go for Vaylesbury United?

• It is so shallow to just say they should merge. The fan I spoke to said this is the worst solution possible. There are reasons why there are two clubs in the town. Having just one club wouldn't pool the resources as many would just walk away.

• Aylesbury FC have changed their name 4 times in the last 20 years !!

• Looking at the report it is also to improve medical facilities for the players which is a good thing and they had notice. Having said that the FA and the PFA have avoided anything but derisory funding for research into head injuries for about 17 years which I would argue is probably quite an important medical issue for the game.

I'm surprised that when United were kicked out of Buckingham Park (I actually saw a Ducks Wycombe friendly there not long after I moved to the area) a merger was not muted. Would have made sense for a town of aylesbury's size.

• Fans aren't a commodity that comes with the club.

• Aylesbury Utd used to be decent,.I remember big local derby matches in the old conference days, one in particular at loakes park when it was absolutely heaving, was a big crowd that day

Ahh proper derbys against Aylesbury and Slough... I love being a league team don't get me wrong, and wouldnt change it... but I do miss these games