Skip to content

Monday morning training drills

So, having got out of jail thanks to a couple of astute late substitutions (!) here is the suggested training ground plan for today:

• Adam, having been a pro for a number of seasons now time work on the left foot for kicking.
  • Defenders, work with Rocky on calling ‘ yours’ / ‘mine’ as appropriate.
  • Jason and Rocky as a warm down try to improve that headlock routine, shows early promise.
  • Sam S (via Skype) watch the match back and just follow Curtis, that is all we require from our mid field, no golf handicap or swimwear range required.
  • Nick, getting there son now just look up now and then.
  • Paris take the day off you earned it.
    Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Yes. We get that lad from Leeds down there with his binoculars so we can actually make sure they're doing it.

• Practice putting decent corners into the box and don't ever do another short routine

• Throw ins. Simple throw ins. You can almost hear the groan around AP when we get one, as everyone knows the ball will soon be out of our grasp.

• strangely I did not mind the short routine...and when they fooled Donny with a long one if Bayo had been in the middle we might have had a goal.

• The short routine is horrible. If my memory serves me correctly it cost us a goal against Cov, and nearly a goal in the first half on Saturday had their player not shanked it wide under pressure.

• Tyson, practice shooting with your right foot so you don't telegraph to the defender that you're about to turn and use your left when you have a good shooting opportunity.

• What's the point in lumping it in the box when we have a tiny team though (Eg how we started Saturday).

• The short corner routine was so close the working twice. It was trying it a third time that caused the problem.
    I don't mind a short corner and the second one on Saturday was a half yard away from being a memorable goal.
    We are hardly a threat at a long corner without Bayo

• see also throw-ins...they used to be aimed down the line at the greatest dome in football to expertly nod on...when there is no dome...opps.

• and one for the manager to ponder.Substitutions could be made earlier !!!!

• Personally, I prefer all decisions regarding tactics, set pieces and subs to be left to the manager. He gets more things right than wrong!

• Unless it's Alan Smith!

• Naughty but true!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    The short routine is horrible. If my memory serves me correctly it cost us a goal against Cov, and nearly a goal in the first half on Saturday had their player not shanked it wide under pressure.

That wasn't a shank: Dom Gape killed the ball out from between the guy's feet just as he was about to shoot. Hence, why a corner was awarded. Ok, so it was Gape who had lost the ball in the first place, but that was a great piece of defending. If he had got his timing only slightly wrong he would have found himself taking an early shower and Rovers would have had a penalty.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    The short routine is horrible. If my memory serves me correctly it cost us a goal against Cov, and nearly a goal in the first half on Saturday had their player not shanked it wide.

After a lung busting run to get back Dom nicked it off marquis toe as he was about to shoot. Great work from Dom.

• Have you never met a football fan @glasshalffull ? I think you'd be quite disappointed in their attitude regarding these issues on a Saturday afternoon.

• @Uncle_T we were thinking the same thing at the same time.

• @Uncle_T said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    The short routine is horrible. If my memory serves me correctly it cost us a goal against Cov, and nearly a goal in the first half on Saturday had their player not shanked it wide under pressure.

That wasn't a shank: Dom Gape killed the ball out from between the guy's feet just as he was about to shoot. Hence, why a corner was awarded. Ok, so it was Gape who had lost the ball in the first place, but that was a great piece of defending. If he had got his timing only slightly wrong he would have found himself taking an early shower and Rovers would have had a penalty.

@braywanderer said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    The short routine is horrible. If my memory serves me correctly it cost us a goal against Cov, and nearly a goal in the first half on Saturday had their player not shanked it wide.

After a lung busting run to get back Dom nicked it off marquis toe as he was about to shoot. Great work from Dom.

You're right. I am losing it!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Have you never met a football fan @glasshalffull ? I think you'd be quite disappointed in their attitude regarding these issues on a Saturday afternoon.

I know what you’re saying but isn’t it amazing that we rarely tell people in other professions how they should be doing their job, but for two hours every Saturday we all become qualified coaches with much more knowledge than people who’ve spent a lifetime in the game and who know their own players inside out! Who’d be a manager!

• Ainsworth's lack of subs until it's too late (as everyone was saying on Saturday) reminds me of playing Championship Manager with the matches running at the fastest setting and the match suddenly being in the final 10 minutes in the blink of an eye.
    I think the lads should play a full 90 minute match against each other, and Gaz should practice making some subs at a nice time, like around 55-65 minutes. He should do this three or four times a day to get it right, of course.

• I think all of our managers have made their substitutions too late, I certainly thought that about St. Martin. A exception, perhaps, was Sanchez who once made three at half-time at Luton, to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win.

What gets me is, having decided to bring a sub on, no end of faffing about follows for what seems an age, including showing him endless pages from a binder file.

• Steve,the point of showing those ‘endless pages’ is so that the sub knows what his duties are on set pieces etc.
    There’s no point in showing all the subs beforehand as the manager has no idea who he’ll be bringing on and no idea who the opposition might bring on/take off.
    Substitutions can be made for a variety of reasons that supporters have no knowledge of so I don’t know why fans think they know better.

• @glasshalffull, I take your point but I sometimes wonder if they pay any attention. I would hope they know instinctively what they need to do, and have been endlessly practising different moves in training during the week. I doubt Bodger would have taken any notice!

• Bodger always knew what to do when the ball came to him that’s for sure.

• I think they should all practice using defibrillators, so they are prepared the next time they give heart attacks to around 4,747 fans.

• I also know what you mean @glasshalffull but I do think even the most limited football brain (ie mine) could see that having not created anything much for an hour after we went 1-0 with Tyson cream crackered we needed a change. I would suggest had Gareth made the subs at 1-0 we might have won that game betterer. Or rather I would suggest it had I got my voice back...

• Question to the good people of the chair metropolis what would the feeling be if Pierre came back?

• @ReadingMarginalista , how was the use of subs on Saturday? Was that alright? ;)

• Yes please. Would be delighted

• edited January 2019

@braywanderer , At a slightly facetious answer, I'd argue that most people who saw what an absolute colossus Pierre was for us, would surely take him as an immediate upgrade in our starting X1.

The chap who got involved in that little "incident", his cronies, and anyone who mistakenly believes a lower league defender's key attribute is passing - wouldn't be keen.