Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

124»

Comments

• Steven with a “v” not a “ph” please @ReadingMarginalista. Don’t want high blood pressure to threaten @micra recovery.

With an otherwise fairly boring name, he excels with a middle name of Ferold. (Yes it is raining at the moment)

• @Shev said:
    Bayo's balance and technique are massively underrated. He is also a skillful striker of the ball with great vision and passing. Yes, he is slow, but if he was fast, with all his other gifts, he would be a Premier League player, so I am rather thankful for that lack of pace!

Anyone that disrespects him has obviously not paid attention to what he does, but rather assume how they think he should play based on his size.

You are spot on Shev. I watch a lot of football at all levels from PL to National League and Bayo has attributes that wouldn’t be out of place in any division. He is a wonderful asset and a great character and I sincerely hope that he stays with us for the rest of his career.
    The criticism from the Donny fan can be filed under the heading: ‘Bitterness in defeat after leading 2-0’.

• I never saw that coming. A message to all fans who leave early. DONT.

• edited January 2019

The full range of emotions here. Utterly galvanizing for the spectator of either side and eventually overwhelming for the Wycombe fans (exactly the opposite emotions for Donny). It actually is a perfect example of why we love football and I guess sport in general. This game goes in the "once or perhaps twice a season" box. A good one to miss @micra, as the raised blood pressure, wouldn't have helped your recovery at all!

• The worst thing about their misjudgement of Akinfenwa as just a physical presence is that he used to play for them, admittedly a while ago and for a short period. But still.

• Reckon I might be banned @ValleyWanderer. It was great to be listening to Bill n Phil - particularly the vigour and sheer exuberance of Bill’s reaction as the third goal went in. I forecast 2-3 (not 3-2) for the WHC League and probably would’ve gone top if the scores had been reversed but, hey ho (as I think they say), I suppose League 1 is marginally more important.

I did OK on the gate prediction. Only 47 out.

• @drcongo said:
    Thanks for posting that @DJWYC14. Enjoyed seeing Allsop down the other end of the pitch joining in the celebrations.

Allsop and McCarthy have a little hug as well! Very sweet that they are all made up now.

It was all a bit of a mess from McCarthy for the second goal though but not just his fault.

• EL Abd had given the ball away needlessly, leaving a huge gap in the defence.

But, without such screw ups we wouldn't have had a season's top memory (so far) in that comeback!

• Having left it more than 24 hours to let the excitement of yesterday settle, I just have to record:-
    1). How good was Thompson? When Gareth started to play him I thought he did the ‘dirty’ stuff in a tidy manner, but his game appears to have become so much more expansive over the weeks. Yesterday he displayed so much energy, closing down all over the pitch, controlling bouncing balls and playing well-weighted passes. The goal was the supreme icing on the cake.
    2). Don’t leave before the end. Because of the A404 bing closed I didn’t arrive until close to kick-off. Normally that leaves little parking option other than to go into the ground’s car park, which means a minimum 45 minute wait after the game. I had to be away on time. Thank goodness I spotted parking still with places up on the industrial estate because otherwise I would have left at about 88 minutes!
    3). How do the players and management live with the adrenaline rush from such a result? I was ‘buzzed’ up all last night and much of today. The highs (and probably also the lows of poor performances of unjust decisions etc.) must be really difficult to cope with.
    All of the above features just illustrate why this is such great game to follow and why we must appreciate what we have at the moment. Under Taylor and Waddock (and, to be fair, some of Gareth’s early seasons) there were games which I had to force myself to turn up for. The roller-coaster we have been on the past 18 months makes ‘the journey’ unmissable.
    Just remember to appreciate what we are experiencing.

• PCH alone has had four headed goals at 90 minutes or later (3 at 93 minutes or later!) in the past season and a half. This season, 4 of our 9 wins have been come from behind, with 3 injury time winners, and 2 overturned 2-0 deficits. We have also won 2 games in the past two seasons in injury time, when down to 10 men.

Incredible!

• And we've now been involved in fourteen 3-2 scorelines over the past season and a half. Just about one every five matches!

• I forgotten about their player going down and rolling about for a free kick and then getting up and waving to the Frank Adams until someone mentioned it on the Donny forum...makes the win even sweeter.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I forgotten about their player going down and rolling about for a free kick and then getting up and waving to the Frank Adams until someone mentioned it on the Donny forum...makes the win even sweeter.

Yes - that play acting by Mallik Wilks was just what needs eliminating from the game.

Fair enough it was a foul by JJ and probably worthy of his yellow card but by the way Wilks acted, I expected him not to get up and walk away. The cheeky grin and wave to the FA stand were quite sickening.

• Post match interview with Gaz for your listening pleasure:

https://philcatchpole.com/2019/01/14/ainsworth-post-doncaster-rovers/

• Reminded me of Diving Danny giving it large to the Beechdean from the bench when he was subbed once when Luton were 0-1 up...the equaliser was sweet!

• Did anyone hear the half time interview with Tara? Welcome to the jungle was all I could fathom!

• Once the interviewer started with you've scored 25 goals do you hope to score more and then the team are doing really well do you think they will carry that on? I kind of tuned out.

• @AlanCecil said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I forgotten about their player going down and rolling about for a free kick and then getting up and waving to the Frank Adams until someone mentioned it on the Donny forum...makes the win even sweeter.

Yes - that play acting by Mallik Wilks was just what needs eliminating from the game.

Fair enough it was a foul by JJ and probably worthy of his yellow card but by the way Wilks acted, I expected him not to get up and walk away. The cheeky grin and wave to the FA stand were quite sickening.

There some lovely instant karma, considering their general propensity for rolling around on the pitch or playing dead led to an injury time that we scored the winner in.

• edited January 2019

I actually thought Donny spent far less time falling over and taking thow-ins and free kicks than average. Certainly, their goalie could barely take a goal kick quickly enough, even when 2-0 up and, again certainly, past experience says that we'd have been immeasurably worse in every timewasting respect had the scoreline been reversed.

• I did not think it was timewasting...and @HCblue is right Donny were at full pelt for most of the game...just rather stupid and perhaps a symptom of the arrogance McCann complained about that eventually cost them the game.

• @HCblue said:
    I actually thought Donny spent far less time falling over and taking thow-ins and free kicks than average. Certainly, their goalie could barely take a goal kick quickly enough, even when 2-0 up and, again certainly, past experience says that we'd have been immeasurably worse in every timewasting respect had the scoreline been reversed.

I would argue their GK regularly let the ball run past him, when heading towards the ball boy/touchline, like it wasn't thrown to him properly at 2-0 up. When 2-2 & 2-3 his metabolism certainly went into overload. Not going to disagree with your view on our own histrionics though!

• I thought there was some pretty notable injury faking in a couple of places. I remember thinking after the chap Gape fouled had hired a hearse and attended his own memorial service (before jumping up, running down the other end and clattering into JJ like a runaway horse) that I hope d we'd score in "injury" time.

• Gas Room realises that other teams indulge in ‘game management’ shock!

• Don't worry @glasshalffull we know what they are...we know what they are...

• I was rather surprised at the speed with which the Donny subs went off as we’d have taken an age to do the same.

We’ve certainly been guilty of stretching the gamesmanship over the years, but Donny certainly could have done with the game ending a few minutes earlier.

At the time it reminded me of some of our naivety we showed during the Miracle of Painmoor season.

• It does not make sense for other teams to do it against us, because we score more late goals than anyone! They are playing into our crafty hands...

• Oh my goodness @Shev! You may have exposed Gaz's secret tactic! ??

• I expect people can remember back to the Gormania days where we were squeaky clean, and constantly got mugged by all and sundry.
    Much happier we're a tougher proposition these days

• I preferred Gormania to anything else to be honest

• It was fun.
    Except for the many times we drew games we should have won by miles, due to zero game "management"