Skip to content

Loans

I remember feeling a tinge of disappointment earlier in the season when we signed Fred Onyedinma and Randell Williams as it was likely to push some of our own talent back in the pecking order particularly Nick Freeman, Paris Cowan-Hall and Scott Kashket. All of whom deserved a crack at League One instead of us developing other clubs’ players.

So it proved, although ultimately it’s hard to be too critical given that both made a good contribution to an excellent first half of the season.

Given we’ve no lack of forward options (also Bayo, Samuel, CMS, Tyson) I’m not sure Gareth needs to rush to bring anyone in up front. Given what we saw today and over the last couple of years with these players I’d like to see us focus on our own players for the rest of the season.

Where we probably will need an extra pair of legs is in central midfield, however, where we look one player light.

Comments

• I did hear from a usually reliable source that we will be bringing in someone new next week. Not sure whether it’s a loan or permanent signing though. Nor what position. Nor whether it may be a returning loanee. But hopefully as you say, a central defender would be good.

• But can he play at right back?

• Definately need some loanees in..for 3/4 of the match yesterday we was not showing much.Would like to see Fred back but was good to see Paris and Freeman on pitch.

• We’d all like to see Fred back, including Fred himself I wouldn’t wonder.

• Heard yesterday weve had a cente back training with us for the last week

• Hope they’ve got a good fitness record.

• @Aok84 said:
    Heard yesterday weve had a cente back training with us for the last week

Ben Frempah. We had him in summer preseason he’s played mainly non league all his career. Go we will see, he must have something about him to be undertaking a second spell with us

• We don't need any more central strikers, but we'd probably need another wide player if we intend to play 4-4-2 many times. Paris and Freeman are the two for that role. Tyson could turn out left mid, but he's more a left of 3, or central.

• Not sure we are going to play 4-4-2 that often though.

We will from time to time, but based on recent history I’d fancy will see more of the 4-2-3-1 (or 4-3-3 if you see it that way) employed yesterday.

It suits our personnel. Thompson and Gape both like to hold their position and a fit Matt Bloomfield in front of them will give us a nice balance.

For wide options we’ve got PCH, Freeman, Kashket and Tyson which is pretty good if you ask me.

If we can’t get Fred then I wouldn’t be too distraught to keep it to the players we’ve already got rather than bringing in a loaner that pushes our young players to the back of the queue.

• @TrueBlu said:

@Aok84 said:
    Heard yesterday weve had a cente back training with us for the last week

Ben Frempah. We had him in summer preseason he’s played mainly non league all his career. Go we will see, he must have something about him to be undertaking a second spell with us

Played pre season for us at Chesham, looked ok before Sicknote Darius took the slot.

• Not sure Matt Bloomfield is the man to play just behind the front two personally

• Frempah seems to have had a strangle old career going from the Isthmian League to the English and Scottish Premier League and back again in a couple of years.

• Frempah never left, he's been training with the team the whole season. Not sure if it's a case of working his way back from an injury or if he's won some sort of competition or something.

• @eric_plant it was Bloomfield's first start for ages, but it just didn't look close to working yesterday. However, he was in good form early season.

However, we have so many "sexier" option for a position that needs assists and getting into goal scoring positions.

• Tbh blooms was a passenger yesterday as was Tyson, lets see Bayo and Kashket keep us in League 1

@eric_plant said:
    Not sure Matt Bloomfield is the man to play just behind the front two personally

• Speaking of sick note Darius, anyone know what his current status is? I thought he was over his long injury, came back for a game or two and has since disappeared into the ether?

• Right up there with the Saunders mystery at the moment!

• We should have put Saunders up as collateral against the Americans loan

• hardly a mystery ! he fell out with GA after the Northampton Chekatrade game and has been told to stay away as we don't have any kids for him to train with.

@Malone said:
    Right up there with the Saunders mystery at the moment!

• Well that was August, do it must have been quite some bust up

• Nothing is a mystery when you're in the know.

• We don't need any more central defenders on loan - certainly no one to come ahead of Stewart or Charles (we need to try to get some value for money from him at some stage!) I'm assuming Charlie Fox has gone back to QPR but if not he could come back as emergency back up, I suppose.

I'd also hope we don't try to recruit more wide forwards - we've got good options in PCH, Freeman, Tyson and Harriman, most if not all could play on either flank. And definitely no central strikers - even after putting Bayo and Kashket on we still had CMS and Samuel on the bench on Sat.

So that leaves two positions - central midfield and left back. We will absolutely need a fourth man in the former, we can't rely on Bloomfield and Bean as backup, and that's without utilitising a central three. I'm assuming the rumours are true about Saunders but I do wonder why he's not simply been released so far this look month.

I would like to see a left back in who could deputise for JJ when he needs a rest. Sido and Harriman don't really do it for me in that position - it would be great to get a young Championship understudy in this month.

• I think it's a little unfair to describe Bloomers as a passenger. In the first half he didn't do much, but in the second he had some good touches and passing near the corner flag for a couple of attacks.

• It always surprises me how impatient some football fans can be. Blooms has been out injured for a couple of months so it’s unrealistic to expect him to come straight back and hit the ground running. I didn’t see the game but if, as Oxford Blue says, he got better as the game went on then that’s to be applauded.

• We may have centre-backs to choose from, but we've averaged 2 goals conceded for the last 6 games... so I would hope we will try and find some solution to that!

• Bloomfield played as a centre forward on Saturday. He's not a centre forward but I suppose some game time us a plus. Foyr centre forwards on the bench made it an odd selection but no slight on the man himself.

• I thought tyson was playing as a lone forward with a five man midfield thus I suspected Gareth just did not want to get beaten.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Bloomfield played as a centre forward on Saturday. He's not a centre forward but I suppose some game time us a plus. Foyr centre forwards on the bench made it an odd selection but no slight on the man himself.

exactly the point I was making

• Seemed to me that Blooms spent the first half harrying Donny's back four and midfield, which basically reduced them to lumping hopeful long balls up to their strikers. His energy used like that is highly effective and he's still an integral part of the team and squad.

• @Wendoverman , agreed. Bloomfield wasn't playing centre forward at all. But a forward running midfielder as per earlier in the season.
    Bloomfield as a forward? Shows how people's opinions all differ!