Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Incredible! Usually these sort of games come around a handful of times in a decade, but we must have had half a dozen of these games in the last year or so.

• What a turn around!

El Abd seemed to be having his season's mistakes on one game, they finally capitalised for 2-0.

So glad Gareth left Paris on, who had barely done anything before his goals.

Freeman looked quality in his normal slow motion exceptional technique way.

Bayo the absolute gamechanger, although having Kashket in there buzzing around as a proper 2 helped too.

Excellent stuff. Hugged all manner of people, and the walk down the road was almost empty as I guess everyone was still revelling!

Maybe the loanees going will give Paris and Freeman a proper chance to show their ability now.

• Fantastic ending - but doesn't this show once again that 4-4-2 is the best system for us? We bring on two subs, switch to that formation, score three goals and win the match. I don't understand why we've stopped starting with a 4-4-2 - it was the formation that brought us so much success in the autumn.

• It seems very much our "all out desperate attack" mode.
    Would it work from the off?

With Morris gone, and a stack of central strikers, it certainly makes sense to try it though.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Setting aside the goals, PCH’s body language and attitude was as good as I’ve seen this season.

IMHO he’s shown a real maturity to take his chance post the loanee returns. Bravo Paris.

• Must admit I wanted subs on before they scored the second and thought Gareth had left it too late. Down by the corner for the last two goals so looking forward to liking like an idiot on quest tonight! Great first goal from pch and really pleased for Thompson. I think we were set up just not to.lose today and did well though incredibly lucky at least twice before they scored...the fact is bayo allows Paris and Freeman or kashket to worry people...before he arrived they were taking defenders on but Tys is not the same sort of focus. Great three points and another great throat shredding match ending!!

• The point about the formation was a good one. Created almost nothing in the first half but kept it fairly solid save for the corner farce that led to the break. Gape with a fantastic saving tackle to atone for his part in us mucking up the corner.

I honestly thought it was done at 2-0 before the subs eventually came.

As soon as Bayo and Kashket came on as a proper front 2 it was chaos. Bayo won everything.

Totally different to a scurrying Bloomfield behind an isolated and ineffective Tyson.

Three great goals and fantastic character. To be 2 down and win with your goalie literally having Mccarthy in a headlock against a team like Doncaster is unbelievable spirit. McCarthy and Thompson embodied the determination then when we made it stick up front, won the battles and got the rewards.

Special mention for JJ, few dodgy deliveries but his performance in play was excellent

• I think the boys pulled Gareth out of a hole there. I doubt the plan was to let them get two goals up and then ill show 'em! Doncaster a very good side as Well!

• Didn't see the headlock, but saw them scuffling, which is most unusual!

Doncaster should have scored a couple from breakaways, but we gifted them their goals.
    El Abd back to start of last season form, looking slow, weak and misplacing passes.

Incredible comeback though, we've had a few mad all out attack spells like this when 2 goals down this season!

Back top to half, and 8 point cushion over bottom 4.
    Broke the losing spell, more importantly.

• Got to agree about JJ and mccarthy also i suppose paris is like having a fresh new player as fred was keeping him out. Thompson was excellent throughout and so pleased he got a goal.

• Very staid first half. We were very good defensively but looked highly unlikely to engineer a clear chance, let alone a goal.

Amazing second half. Simply awful defending, especially by Adam for the first goal. Like others, I thought we had no chance. But Freeman and Paris showed real class to create space and opportunities and they eventually started going in, the whole thing helped greatly by Bayo's immense presence.

Agree strongly with the earlier poster who noted Paris's attitude. I moved myself down right behind the goal second half and observed him closely. He was really into the game and showed tremendous determination a number of times - it was writ large upon him (but not just him).

What is it about sport? We went from looking a toothless team to suddenly having sparks of quality all over the pitch and the capacity to create chances from anywhere.Just a fantastic experience.

• Have to admit I was bewildered as to why GA had left the subs so late. Blooms actually had a decent game in an unaccustomed role, but to my mind we really needed more of a goal threat on once we'd gone a goal down. I couldn't understand the wait until the 70th minute. There's no denying the spirit GA instills in the team though. Heads could easily have dropped at 2 down against very decent opposition, especially on the back of 4 defeats, but we had a real go at them in those last 15mins and but for the long delay after the ruck on the edge of our area which seemed to disrupt us for a while, we may have got the goals earlier.

Star performers for me: JJ had a good game defensively, Thompson (what a goal!) and Freeman were outstanding. MotM would have to be PCH though, an assist and 2 very well taken goals on top of a hard working performance. That winning goal was a wonderful thing, it was a goal as soon as it left his head, but seemed to take an age to loop in. It was a glorious couple of seconds seeing the defenders desperately scrambling back and straining every muscle in vain, in an attempt to keep it out.

• I left on 75, but not before booing the substitutions. Why does Gareth always leave it too late?

Paris showed why he has been out of the team, and can someone please tell me why we gave Thompson a new contract!

JJ's set pieces were dreadful. We will ever score from a free kick or corner again.

What was the final score in the end?

• Rocky seems to have a habit of going mental at his defence when something goes awry. I have often thought you could have done a bit more yourself mate...and I think that might just be what McCarthy suggested to him today. Whisper it but he's no better than Brownie.

Unbelievable fightback against very decent opposition. Curtis Thompson was the star man for me today - fantastic goal too.

• Fair few Negative Normans in the Woodlands today. Couple broke into a smile for the third goal so not all bad.

• The best thing about a match day thread is no thousand word discussion papers and - if we win - no sign of any comment from anyone in the know behind the scenes.

• Freeman and Thompson were class today........ bizarre game that was

• El Abd may not want to watch those highlights. The first minute is just his gaffs.

• @Glenactico , left on 75?! What's the matter with you son?

• So missing ‘Vital Opposition View’ tonight.

• @Malone did you take @Glenactico 's post literally?

• @Wendoverman , the usual scene on the FB page is tumbleweed after a win. A few posts today, but the longest debate is from founder drone army members moaning about Pierre's headbutt still, while taking zero accountability for their mate's actions in it all.

• @prufrock_91 he looked dreadful today. Stinker.
    Second goal totally came about from his appalling pass.

• @DJWYC14 , obviously too quickly a read, and remembering a thread ages back where a couple of people admitted they often leave early :)

• Seasons turn on pivotal games. We started slow and quite badly, points wise, and then the win against Scunthorpe was really the catalyst for the good run (even though we had beaten Burton the home game before). For me, letting the lead slip at Gillingham was the next catalyst for the down turn, and I am hoping today may send the arrow back up again, though as GA said, one swallow does not a summer make.

Funny thing is, we have Bristol Rovers and Plymouth coming up, and I am not massively confident, as we just can't seem to beat the teams at the bottom!

• @DJWYC14 said:
    @Malone did you take @Glenactico 's post literally?

Did I mention that Ainsworth is clueless?

• GA made the substitutions too early today. We had to play at least two minutes after we scored the third goal.
    And I don't know what Bayo was doing, didn't take anywhere near long enough tying his laces after we scored.
    I mean what have they been doing on the training pitch all week?

• @Glenactico , I expect fishing and wums on the FB page, but with the obvious couple on here, I didn't think to look out for more :)