Skip to content

Nathan Jones to Stoke?

Our favourite bible basher is in talks with Stoke apparently and likely to be announced as their new manager.

Much as I'd like to see our Bedfordshire buddies lose their top man and maybe even lose their form, I do wonder why Jones would leave such a secure job where he can seemingly do no wrong and is potentially going to be in the Championship in 9 months time, for a club set to appoint their fourth manager in a year.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11701/11602651/lutons-nathan-jones-set-to-be-named-stoke-manager

Comments

• That's a decision for Jones to make I suppose. He may feel Stoke have a better chance than Luton of reaching premier league status. If its happened that quickly, sounds like decision already made.

Bigger concern might be who Luton target to replace Jones.....

• Apparently the sticking point could be whether he can take his assistant manager God with him.

• @DevC said:
    That's a decision for Jones to make I suppose. He may feel Stoke have a better chance than Luton of reaching premier league status. If its happened that quickly, sounds like decision already made.

Bigger concern might be who Luton target to replace Jones.....

From what I've heard of his interviews, he'll leave the final decision to Jesus.

• I suspect in this case that the Lord has already reconsidered and concluded that the promised land is in fact on the shore not of the Euphrates but the Trent largely because the latter is prepared to pay the prodigal son significantly more milk and honey.

• Luton fans going absolutely crazy online at Jones' 'treachary'. Several claiming Stoke isn't a step up and Luton are/will soon be a 'bigger club'. Favourite quote so far; '****ing p***. I hope he ends up at Wrexham.'

• People may want to mock Christians. You better start having a go at the 4 in our squad then.
    It’s good the Nathan J and Alex S, profess Thursday faith

• Despite our feelings regarding Luton, I always find it difficult to see this happen to any club. Some may gloat but we should remember that the same thing could (and almost certainly will) happen to us at some stage.

• Stoke are a great club for the right manager. But as he has not gone yet feel it is a tad early for richie's fam to start calling him names already! Football fans, eh?

• I don't think you're allowed to call them "bible bashers" any more @MindlessDrugHoover, they prefer "god botherers" I think.

• @TrueBlu , i think it's the way he's such a hateful character, yet gives it loads about that side of things that causes irritation.

On another note, who on earth wouldn't consider Stoke a far bigger club than Luton?!

Is this like when our fans doubted Barnsley was a step up!?

• @TrueBlu I get the feeling they profess faith all week.

• Spot on @Malone I have no problem with anyone's faith (I'm more of an agnostic than an atheist) but when he bangs on about it in interviews pretty much every week while showing precious little Christian charity in his personality, it grates. If I'd banged in six goals in a month to take my team into the promotion places I might feel a bit put out to discover my boss thought it was all down to Jesus actually. And funny how when things go wrong it's the referee's mistakes or the opposition's cheating that cost the match, not God being a bit of a sod.

• edited January 2019

Some excellent responses here. Yes, the same kind of thing will inevitably happen with Ainsworth, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little laugh here.
  • Difference is Ainsworth has already shown loyalty beyond the call of duty. As and when he goes I'm sure it'll be with the best wishes of all but the most idiotic fans.

Unless he goes to Oxford or Franchise, in which case he is dead to me.

• okay...so Luton fans can now show how classy they are...

• Perhaps it just got to hard to square his Christian faith with having that racist shithouse star in his team

• Needless to say hopefully it utterly derails them.
    Although a Luton without him is a bit less awful.

• I must admit I find it strange to leave a club with the potential for going up into the Championship with two promotions on the CV then surely bigger clubs would come in. Stoke fans will be happy if he just gets them up the table I assume...then he'll get the tin-tack next year when they do not 'progress'. Pulis was a perfect fit for them, until they decided they wanted more exciting football and got shot of him.

• Wow, Luton fans out Lutoning themselves on Twitter. Some truly horrible comments in there.

(Although I do hope he spectacularly fails at Stoke - can't stand the smug git).

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Difference is Ainsworth has already shown loyalty beyond the call of duty. As and when he goes I'm sure it'll be with the best wishes of all but the most idiotic fans.

Ahh but will we be so gracious if Ainsworth ends up stepping into Nathan Jones's shoes at Luton?

• I for one hope they go from strength to strength under a new manager and don't plummet down out of the play-off places and finish below us. @eric_plant are you referring to the best player in the league?

• I don't understand why he would leave Luton (who have been playing well and may go up) for Stoke (who have been on bad form and probably won't go up) when he has a equal chance of managing in the Championship next season.

• @aloysius said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Difference is Ainsworth has already shown loyalty beyond the call of duty. As and when he goes I'm sure it'll be with the best wishes of all but the most idiotic fans.

Ahh but will we be so gracious if Ainsworth ends up stepping into Nathan Jones's shoes at Luton?

He won't - he'll go to a big club.

• Of course it makes for him to go to Stoke. On every level. And I wish him every failure.

• '"We will put a side out there that the club will be proud of. We will be hard working, talented side that will play in a certain way which we will work religiously on."
    He's not even there yet and Jesus is on his side!

• I thought Jesus played for Manchester City @Wendoverman! Has he gone to Stoke on loan?

• edited January 2019

@Wendoverman , how is it in any way strange?
    When there's no guarantee they'll go up, and he's joining a team of far higher potential, recent ex Premier league, with a much bigger budget, and huge wage increase?

And like us and Sunderland being in the same division, we are, but not in any way equal matches!

May have mis read your other post, you actually want them to carry on going well?! And you want them to finish above us?!

• Strange to me if not you @Malone as I would suggest they are looking good for another promotion which would put two on his CV and him on the radar of bigger clubs anyway...though it is true nothing is certain. Did not have the chosen one down as chasing money and I don;t think Stoke will be going up. And yes...obviously I want them to get better and better and finish above us. Of course I do. Yes. That's right!

• Surely Gaz will be on Luton’s shortlist of potential candidates?

• @thedieharder said:
    I don't understand why he would leave Luton (who have been playing well and may go up) for Stoke (who have been on bad form and probably won't go up) when he has a equal chance of managing in the Championship next season.

Money